How do you prepare spaghetti squash?

Options
2»

Replies

• raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    I can never get it open.... what do you cut it with? A saw?
    Maybe I'm just a whimp (?) lol

No, be careful, they're very hard to open unless you have a REALLY good knife. I had to use a knife and a hammer LOL to get mine open the other day because I tried to cut throught that thing at the top and that part was even harder. You can easily cut your hand open trying to cut these things.
  • gator28fan
    Options
    Melville99
    I've only seen it listed as spaghetti squash so not sure if there is another name.
  • afmuj
    afmuj Posts: 5
    Options
    I just moved back from the UK and in all my searching there I never found any spaghetti squash, its very different than butternut, its usually a product of Mexico, maybe you can have some luck asking at your local market even though I never did
  • booch221
    booch221 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    According to Wikipedia

"The spaghetti squash (Cucurbita pepo) (also called vegetable spaghetti, noodle squash, spaghetti marrow (in the UK)"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_squash

I put a little basil pesto and toasted pine nuts on mine.

Even the leftovers are wonderful!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • r_jen
    r_jen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Just came across a good recipe for spagetti squash...Hope this helps!

Prick squash with a fork to let steam out and microwave for 10 minutes (on high) turning after 5 mins. Let stand for 5 mins, then slice it open. Remove seeds and scrape sides with a fork (that creates the strands) Keep the squash in its shell and mix in 1/2 cup of Part skim mozzarella shredded cheese and 2 small chopped tomatoes and sprinkle with 1/4 parmesan light grated cheese

This is the same except I add a tablespoon of dried italian seasoning to it also. it is very yummy!