Couch 2 5k - 2 days later

Options
I didnt manage to complete the first installment, the 8 minutes run, I managed a mere 2 1/2 minutes. Now, two days later when I was going to retry this 1st session, my body is in agony!

I know I'm hugely overweight and haven't run in 16 years :/ But I expected to retry this first session today, I can barely manage walking :(

Replies

• lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Take it slow, everyone is at a different starting point for fitness. If you can't do the workout recommended, then modify it for what you can do and work up to it. When you can do the first workout without pain, then you can advance. It may take you months to get to this point, but, that's ok, just do it at your own pace.

Take this slow and do not hurt yourself. An injury can set you back months. Good luck.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Take it slow, everyone is at a different starting point for fitness. If you can't do the workout recommended, then modify it for what you can do and work up to it. When you can do the first workout without pain, then you can advance. It may take you months to get to this point, but, that's ok, just do it at your own pace.

Take this slow and do not hurt yourself. An injury can set you back months. Good luck.

^^^this

i've started the version for treadmill - but taking it slowly -

keep at it and you'll get there!
  • jenny181111
    jenny181111 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I've always wanted to run, but now I'm actually attempting to do something about it :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    In my opinion C25K can push some people too quick. It assumes a level of fitness a lot of people haven't got the problem is by calling it couch to 5k it markets itself as ideal for a large and diverse group when in fact it's not ideal for everyone

In reality people need to be able to walk 5k briskly a few times a week before they start if you cant do that build on that before you consider trying to run. If you can walk 5k at a reasonable pace If I was you and you've struggled I would do your own Run walk program. Just go for a walk 3 times a week and pick landmarks and run to them and slowly build yourself up that way
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Yup take it slow! When I first started running, I was almost shuffling more than running lol. I didn't do c25k but I worked the same way...run a little...walk a little...repeat. At first, I was only able to run about 30 seconds at a time and would be sooooo out of breath. A few tries later, I ran for a whole song and was so excited! It felt great bc I had never been able to run for that long in my whole life. I think it took me about a month to work up to a full mile, and that mile took me 20 minutes. I was about 225 lbs when I started.

That was a little less than a year ago. I worked up to being able to run 3 miles in about 6 months, at an average of 15 min 30 sec per mile. That's still slow compared to most but...omg I ran 3 miles without stopping!!! I injured myself in the fall and didn't run for almost 3 months. I'm happy to be able to say I ran 2.5 last week with no issues.

it's really ok to go realllyyyyyyy sllooooowwwwww lol. That very slow jog will naturally get faster the more you do it. Then, if you want to go for longer...it's ok to slow down again to help you go longer.

One thing though...if you can barely manage walking...don't run. My first 75 pounds that I lost, my exercise was mostly walking, as briskly as I was able. There's no way I'd have been able to start running at my starting weight, 300 pounds, and if I made myself try it before my body was ready, I'd have gotten discouraged fast. I don't know you're weight, but keep in mind...small goals are better, bc they have a higher chance of success. Of course it's good to have higher more difficult goals also, but start small, find success, feel good, get confident...then take things a step further and push towards the next small goal. Eventually, all those small successes add up and next thing you know....you've reached the big goal!
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It took me years of trying, to be able to run. You can do it, but you need to start slow. If you can't walk the distance, you sure can't run it!

Build up by walking. Then walk faster. When that gets easier, insert slow jogs for short distances, maybe 10-20 steps. Then 20 steps walking, 10 steps running.

Progress slowly, allow your muscles time to develop and do not injure yourself by overdoing it. A good rule of thumb is to add no more that 10% per week to your distance. So if you walk a mile 3 times a week, next week go for 1.1 miles 3 times a week.

Good luck.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The other thing to try is slow down. It doesn't matter if you're running at a similar pace to you'd walk. My first few sessions when I started (at around 300lbs) my average pace was 4mph. I've slowly got quicker (today's Park Run I averaged 5.5mph). Aim to be able to run for 30mins at the end of the programme, this may well be short of 5k distance. I started C25K unable to run at all or to walk 5k. I can now run 13k non stop but still can't do 5k in 30 mins!

I'm slightly confused about 8mins on the first installment. Did you mean 8 lots of 1 min with walks in between? If not, check you are actually doing week 1 workout 1 as most versions of C25K I've seen have something along the lines of 5min warm up walks, followed by 1 min run, 2 mins walk repeated a few times then a 5 min cool down walk as the first installment.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am confused. You said you tried the first installment, and that it was an 8 minute run. The very first day is walk 5 minutes, then alternate running 30 seconds with a 90 second walk....not an 8 minute run. You don't run 8 minutes straight until like week 4 or 5.
    In my opinion C25K can push some people too quick. It assumes a level of fitness a lot of people haven't got the problem is by calling it couch to 5k it markets itself as ideal for a large and diverse group when in fact it's not ideal for everyone

This is not true. Every single version of C25K has cliff notes that state people should be able to walk for a total of 30 minutes....not 5k. The whole point of C25K is actually not to get you to run an entire 5K...it is to get you running for 30 minutes straight. And every single one of the cliffnotes, from the Runner's World versions to coolrunnings.com tell you that you can repeat weeks if needed. One person might only take 9 weeks to get to running 30 minutes, another person might take 12. And the millions of people who have had success with the program will say that it is marketed to a large and diverse group because it works. There is a reason why the YMCAs and running coaches use the program...because it works. There is an entire group on here of C25Kers that are proof of that.
  • jenny181111
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. It is 5 minutes of walking, 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking, and repeat 8 times, until you have reached the 8 minutes of running. I only managed 2 1/2 minutes of running on my first session
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I didnt manage to complete the first installment, the 8 minutes run, I managed a mere 2 1/2 minutes. Now, two days later when I was going to retry this 1st session, my body is in agony!

I know I'm hugely overweight and haven't run in 16 years :/ But I expected to retry this first session today, I can barely manage walking :(

Then start with walking. I did. Still lost weight.

Another alternative...look up cool runnings couch to 5k because the one you are doing sounds more challenging.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. It is 5 minutes of walking, 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking, and repeat 8 times, until you have reached the 8 minutes of running. I only managed 2 1/2 minutes of running on my first session

Oh it is the same one.

Then I'm not sure if you saw this part but it says you can repeat weeks.
  • jenny181111
    Options
    Oh I'll definitely be repeating, I'm not giving up. I'm determined, no matter how long it takes me!
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind, C25K is supposed to be a LIGHT JOG, not full on running :) perhaps you ran too hard for your very first time, thinking you have to do it that way. But they keep saying throughout the program, it's just a light jog. So next time you do it, take it a bit easy, if you didn't the first time.

Let your body recover for a few days and have a second go :)

BTW, I'm doing the program too, and I wasn't ready to move on every single week to next level - I did Week 1 for like 4 weeks alone! Only then I felt ready to move on to week 2. That I also did on repeat until I felt ready for Week 3. In fact, I've been doing it now for almost 8 months, and I still only made it to Week 5, but I find it suits me that way. There's no way I would have been ready to move on after just one week to next level each time :)

Just remember to persevere and you're going to love it.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Slow down then. Way down.

Another alternative...this is another added week but I have seen this in some of the versions...is to do a 30 second run, and a 120 second walk and repeat 8 times. Then next week shift back up to the 60/90 seconds. Just a suggestion.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Which version are you using, doing 8 minutes on day one seems very ambitious.

The Coolrunning C25K programme that many apps and podcasts are based on starts with 20 minutes of 60 second running followed by 90 seconds of walking, repeated several times.

Personally I used the NHS podcast series, http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx

There is nothing wrong with repeating sessions, or weeks, to help you consolidate. But I'd be concerned that whatever programme you're using is pushing you too hard too soon.

On the programme at the link you're not doing 8 minutes until four weeks in.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Build up by walking. Then walk faster. When that gets easier, insert slow jogs for short distances, maybe 10-20 steps. Then 20 steps walking, 10 steps running.

+1

I still can't do c25k, so I walk.
    I think you're trying too much, too soon. Give it some time and work your way up to it.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Then start with walking. I did. Still lost weight.

Another alternative...look up cool runnings couch to 5k because the one you are doing sounds more challenging.

If you can barely manage walking, why would you even think running was possible? That's setting yourself up for failure and an injury.

You dont need to run to lose weight. Walking worjs.
    But you dont have to exercise to lose weight, a moderate calorie deficit will do
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    You need a walking base before you can run! I suggest 30 minutes walking (on a treadmill can be softer to start with, if possible) 3 times a week for a month... or until you can comfortably walk for the 30 minutes. Then restart c25k. There is no shame in walking! You are lapping everyone on the couch even if you crawl :). You are a amazing for simply trying - keep it up.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Okay...Jenny...lol...we need some clarification here lol....

Can you barely manage walking because you are sore from running....or can you barely manage walking period?

If it is soreness because of running, then you need to slow down.

If it is that you can barely mange walking period, then yes you need to set up a walking base of 30 minutes straight.

See...I am taking your original post to sound like you are sore from the running...but it is obvious that others are taking it a different way. If you could clarify this for us. Thanks.
  • jenny181111
    Options
    I meant I can barely walk today, not in general.