I need friends the "Eat Clean" :-)

Options
Hi! Im looking for help & ideas on eating clean, seems so hard to not get bored & id love to be able to see what others eat for their snacks besides just fruit & veggies. Im wanting to lose 35lbs & want to do it healthy. I was also wondering if u drink coffee is it ok to use powder coffee mate instead of heavy cream since its alot less calories? Im trying to stick to abt 1300 cals a day, still leaves me starving but i dont lose anything if i go over that amt. Thanks for any inputs :-)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I choose more nutrient dense foods most of the time...eating "clean" means different things to everyone so I don't stick that label on myself. I don't snack, but having protein/fat snacks will be more satisfying. I prefer to eat bigger meals incorporating plenty of protein and fat- this keeps me feeling full between meals. My carbs are mainly vegetable and fruit, they are less calorie dense and I can eat a lot for not many cals :) I love what I eat, I refuse to eat bland and boring food.

I drink coffee black with coconut oil blended through - it takes the edge off the coffee, and gives a bit of froth and "whiteness". I don't really do dairy much!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Low calories substitutes does not necessarily equate to clean....use cream. I eat very clean but I have a feeling my choices would have you running in the opposite direction.
  • UncertainAngel12
    UncertainAngel12 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I get a bit bored with my clean eating but I saw another post today about trying to learn a one or two new clean recipes a week and see how yo u like it then after a few weeks you have a few recipes hopefully that you will learn to like and rotate cutting out the boredom.

I don't really snack though so... if I am gonna snack it's usually 100grams of Jalna yoghurt (low sugar) with a fruit that feels naughty like say a passion fruit or banana. If you have a sweet tooth strawberries/blackberries/blueberries are fun to mix with yoghurt but you don't like fruit it seems so... eat tuna and tomato on crackers? WHen I was more active this used to be a favourite snack, nothign wrong with a TINY bit of cheese on top either. Depending on the cracker and say you eat 5 or six of them with tuna on top you won't go above 200 cals :-)

I agree with the comment about using full cream btw, less calories doesn't matter enough to not enjoy your coffee (or in my case cup of tea). You'll go insane if you cut out everything.
  • UncertainAngel12
    UncertainAngel12 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh and almonds. They are very filling and 1 cup of almonds is appro 100 cals. They kidna supress hunger. For me and lots of my mates anyway.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im looking for help & ideas on eating clean, seems so hard to not get bored & id love to be able to see what others eat for their snacks besides just fruit & veggies. Im wanting to lose 35lbs & want to do it healthy. I was also wondering if u drink coffee is it ok to use powder coffee mate instead of heavy cream since its alot less calories? Im trying to stick to abt 1300 cals a day, still leaves me starving but i dont lose anything if i go over that amt. Thanks for any inputs :-)

Something doesn't sound right here.

Do you exercise? If so, do you eat the cals back?

Have you ever figured out your BMR and TDEE?
  • Boshnivay
    Boshnivay Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    if you recognize the ingredients on a package (if you're eating "clean" packaged foods) then you are probably good. another rule of thumb is if there are 5 or less ingredients on a package. NEVER use anything that has "diet" or "low fat", often times these items have chemicals added or extra salt or sugar to compensate for flavors lost by the real thing. i would say it's easier to start by slowly incorporating these things (and it might be for you) but depending on how "unclean" your diet is currently things aren't going to taste right to you. i'm not a doctor but maybe look into doing a cleanse of your body for a few days? this sometimes can help things that are clean taste better. good luck to you and

EVERYONE: feel free to add me! i need some clean eating inspiration as well!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I always make sure it's clean before I eat it. :smokin:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I wash my food before I eat it... does that constitute eating clean?

I think it's just going to be a matter of trial and error to find what works to keep you feeling satisfied.
    Oh and almonds. They are very filling and 1 cup of almonds is appro 100 cals. They kidna supress hunger. For me and lots of my mates anyway.

:noway: OP, *RUN!* That is absolute nonsense. A cup of whole, dry roasted almonds (slivered or ground would have far more!) is over 800 calories. Oh, good lawd! I suppose that's approximately 100, for a given definition of "approximate". :grumble:
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Was correcting the almond calories, but someone beat me to it :)!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Bad information, so very bad, more like around 600 calories or more!!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I wash my food before I eat it... does that constitute eating clean?

I think it's just going to be a matter of trial and error to find what works to keep you feeling satisfied.

:noway: OP, *RUN!* That is absolute nonsense. A cup of whole, dry roasted almonds (slivered or ground would have far more!) is over 800 calories. Oh, good lawd! I suppose that's approximately 100, for a given definition of "approximate". :grumble:

This-nuts and seeds are very high calorie foods!
  • ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use butter instead of margarine as margarine is so bad and processed and one molecule away from plastic so I dont want that in my body.I just add it into my calories. I prefer cream than whipped cream, vegetables, fruit, cheese, nuts, meat, fish, eggs. I do have brown bread as I need some carbs in the morning as I work out.
    For snacks, I eat crackers, just check the sodium and sugar content. The best are plain or seaweed rice crackers as the other ones they add crap seasoning. Also air popped popcorn is good too. Try some nuts, a hunk of cheese, boiled egg, cold chicken, tuna, dark chocolate.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I use butter instead of margarine as margarine is so bad and processed and one molecule away from plastic so I dont want that in my body.I just add it into my calories.
    And?
    These types of statements (even if they were true) are essentially meaningless. Many disparate substances share similar chemical properties, but even the slightest variation in molecular structure can make a world of difference in the qualities of those substances.
    http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Prefer butter? Work it into your calories as you said. If It Fits Your Macros.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I've ever seen so many uninformed or factually incorrect statements on a single MFP page.

:huh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

That's because they're WAY more than 100 calories.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    shoulda read the whole post....
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

That's because they're WAY more than 100 calories.

Truth!
    Per USDA, 1 cup is 828 calories. 23 almonds is 164 calories.
    e99098ce-82f9-4c1a-911b-852f2796f4cc_zps119caa67.jpg
    I am puzzled by the slivered and ground information. Why on earth would it weigh less? You could pack it in there way more tightly.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly clean. For the new year, I'm trying to reduce my intake of processed foods, particularly packaged items that have ingredients I wouldn't use at home. I'm also trying to reduce my intake of added sugars. I put unsweetened almond milk in my coffee, which is 30 calories/cup. It is more processed than pure dairy milk, but it's probably better than powdered creamer! Different brands have different consistencies; if you like it really creamy, I recommend Whole Foods' 365 brand.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Why not just pay attention to macro- and micro-nutritional information, and otherwise eat what you enjoy? There is no magic in clean eating. It's simply a vague term to spend hours arguing over or to use to sell books or magic shakes. Focus on what is proven to be true, your body needs protein and fats, a variety of micronutrients and fiber. Don't make it more complicated than necessary.