What's the "norm" for those gaining weight during their 1st

Options
I gained weight in the first 2 weeks. I know that's accurate, I have read about the changes in metablism/muscle gain, etc. But I actually gained 12 pounds in 2 weeks. I'm doing a LOT of cardio bu riding bikes at the fastest pace I can 3 miles every other day. The other days I do strength work. I give my body 1 day of rest.

Replies

• Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    I gained weight in the first 2 weeks. I know that's accurate, I have read about the changes in metablism/muscle gain, etc. But I actually gained 12 pounds in 2 weeks. I'm doing a LOT of cardio bu riding bikes at the fastest pace I can 3 miles every other day. The other days I do strength work. I give my body 1 day of rest.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot. Did you weigh yourself at the same time of day, on the same scale, and wearing the same amount of clothing? Are you approaching your "special lady time?" Has your change in diet resulted in . . .um. . .less bathroom visits of the number two variety?

Your muscles will retain quite a bit of water if you've recently increased your exercise, but there are probably other factors at work.

Be patient with your body. Sometimes a change causes it to go into a sort of shock, and it will even out.

Here's a link to an article with more info about the scale. And why it sucks.

http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    How many calories are you eatting a day?

If you aren't eatting enough your body might be in starvation mode.
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    I've been eating my caloric intake and have been doing very well. 2 weeks ago I started this plan, prior to that, I lived off diet cokes and chips (rarely ate anything else), yes it's true.....don't ask me how i'm still alive. So maybe my body's metabolism is trying to play catchup!
    How many calories are you eatting a day?

If you aren't eatting enough your body might be in starvation mode.
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    I weighed myself in the middle of the day after bike riding (very swollen from the blood pumping through me), yes, I believe I'm in the "special lady time - to be". As for bathroom visits, I'm drinking so much water that I'm peeing it out through all my pores now. lol #2 visits are more now.
    That seems like a lot. Did you weigh yourself at the same time of day, on the same scale, and wearing the same amount of clothing? Are you approaching your "special lady time?" Has your change in diet resulted in . . .um. . .less bathroom visits of the number two variety?

Your muscles will retain quite a bit of water if you've recently increased your exercise, but there are probably other factors at work.

Be patient with your body. Sometimes a change causes it to go into a sort of shock, and it will even out.

Here's a link to an article with more info about the scale. And why it sucks.

http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm