Walking X mph

Lindsay7360
Lindsay7360 Posts: 99
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
So, how do you REALLY know how many miles per hour you're walking... I haven't a clue!

When I walk, I just estimate the speed with I enter my exercise into MFP.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Here's a good website: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
    You can enter your time and distance and it will come up with your average speed.
  • Here's a good website: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
    You can enter your time and distance and it will come up with your average speed.

Thank you so much! :) I apprecite it!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    I don't know that it doesn't matter to me I wear a HRM and enter time and calories
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    miles per hour? i go by the treadmill and use the speed indicated.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    I know the distances of the routes I usually walk (measured with vehicle) so I keep track of my time and then figure it out. Waiting on my HRM to arrive to make it easier!
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    you can as well buy a pedometer.. they are around 10$ and a good investment for life:)
    or the new ipod has a pedometer in it..
  • (MPH) = Distance (in miles) / Time (in hours).

I've used the equation above. I walk a track so I can keep far of my actual distance and always check the clock when I start/stop.

That calculator posted by Mrs Ski is pretty-darn accurate. Thanks for sharing! I've bookmarked it!
  • You can also use mapmyrun.com to figure out your distance, with that and your time you are set!
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    You can also use mapmyrun.com to figure out your distance, with that and your time you are set!

That's what I was going to say. I used mapmyrun.com to draw a "route" around my block. In my neighborhood, all the sidewalks are marked on the site. I adjusted it by crossing the street in a few strategic places so that it added up to a 1/2 mile circle.

I use the alarm on my cell phone to make sure I hit point X every 10 minutes for exactly 3mph.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    I use an app on my Blackberry called Endomondo. It uses your GPS to track how far you walked, and keeps track of time, and then when your work out is over, it averages your speed over the entire workout. I did an 18 minute mile yesterday :)
  • That site is awesome.... I like!!!
    Thanks MUCH!
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    I have mapmyrun on my iphone, it tracks me through GPS and tells me my miles when I run outdoors. You can also map out your runs in your area before hand. It's great because it's user powered program, so people make routes to run in your neighborhood that you can use, and you can do the same for people in your area. It's an awesome tool to use.
  • Thanks all, for the super helpful advice!

I DO have a HRM, but I often walk over my lunch break at work and I don't wear my HRM during those walks... so I was just trying to figure out the best was to get my MPH. Leave it up to you guys, always so helpful!!

Thanks again! :)
This discussion has been closed.