Night shifters

Options
So just finished nursing school, got my nursing license. and accepted a position at my dream hospital on night shift.

How do you guys log for the 'day'? Was thinking about just changing the labels and logging in the day that I started, I wouldn't complete the 'day' until 8am the next day, but that should be fine right?

EDIT: i have realized I have posted this at a time when night shifters are sleeping.... o.O

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Just pick a strategy and be consistent with sticking to it. For example, if you eat at 1 am on Sunday morning, but you actually started your shift on Saturday night, then either decide whether you will call that a Saturday or Sunday log from then on. Just be consistent.
  • youjustdontknow
    Options
    It changes during my days off unless I keep the same sleeping pattern, but whatever I eat when I wake up I log as my breakfast no matter what time it is. You gotta get your body in the same pattern as you were when you were a day walker.
  • Echosapa
    Echosapa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I log midnight to midnight with what I eat. But I know you can change to where your day starts to a different time (though I don't know how). I would just say be consistent. I only do midnight to midnight because I do nights 3 days a week and days the rest of the week (yay grad school). I think its all personal preference.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I worked night shift for 6 years and prob gained a total of 50ish pounds in that time span. And honestly idk how people can eat/ sleep normally doing it. But good luck!
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I break mine up into 4 hour blocks so it covers the whole day and doesn't matter if I'm on or off duty!

0001-0400
    0400-0800
    0800-1200
    1200-1600
    1600-2000
    2000-2400

Eat anytime: just log it and stay under your goal! :) Get good sleep too! Don't force yourself to stay up if you don't have to!
    If you are sleepy and awake, you'll most likely want food.
    Make sure you drink enough water through the night too.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I track midnight to midnight. Also as a few others have mentioned, sleep is key.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I do the midnight to midnight thing, too,and split it up in four hour increments. But, whatever works for you.