Just sharing a genius idea.

Options
I live in a mobile home and my water line is pretty exposed. This should usually be okay in my area but for some strange reason the arctic circle has decided to go on holiday and will be here on Monday and Tuesday after about 12'' of snow falls on Sunday. The max temp here Monday is -11F (-23.9C) with a low of -19F (-28.9C) and the windchill Monday will be from -35 to -55F (-37.2 to -48.3C). So to try to make sure my water line doesn't freeze I have the water running but for extra protection I decided to build a snow wall around the skirting.

Snow has an R-value of about 1 per inch. So I have piled up and compacted a 2-foot snow wall with the snow we got Thursday around the skirting giving me approximately R-24 insulation. It's not perfect and it was a lot of work, but it will be enough to block the wind and should be enough to keep my water line flowing. :smile:

If you live in an area about to experience this kind of weather and live in a mobile home, prefab home, older home with exposed lines, or a home with a crawl space and you already have snow on the ground this may be a good idea for you too. Just pile up and compact a couple feet of snow where your water line is or at the entrance to your crawl space. :flowerforyou:

Have a brilliant weekend! Stay warm.

Replies

• reality_girl
    reality_girl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    FattyGeniusgifpagespeedcePgFNcJ8gee_zps875354c0.gif
  • reality_girl
    reality_girl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well damn, my gif isn't working. Anyway, it was the big, bearded opera dude from Mr. Deeds singing 'genius genius genius'.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    You have gone into igloo mode! Others have done this before :tongue:
    But yes, genius.