Excess calories into pounds??

Hi. :smile: I was curious as to just how long it takes for our excess calories, that go unspent, to turn into pounds that show up on the scale. :huh: I have gained back a couple of pounds, even though my end count for each day this week has not been over. This life change is all new to me. Thanks for any info. on this. :smile:

Replies

• neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Hi. :smile: I was curious as to just how long it takes for our excess calories, that go unspent, to turn into pounds that show up on the scale. :huh: I have gained back a couple of pounds, even though my end count for each day this week has not been over. This life change is all new to me. Thanks for any info. on this. :smile:
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    It takes 3500 calories extra than what your body uses on a regular day to gain one pound. Hope this helps..at least with some of the math parts. So if your BMI is 1400, you would need to eat a total of 3500 calories more than that (broken up over the week, obviously) to gain one pound. Does this help at all?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Of course, if you are building muscle your weight may increase slightly. Also be aware that weight fluctuates up to 5 lbs on a daily basis :drinker:
  • fessler
    fessler Posts: 23
    My advice is to measure your food and WEIGH IT. I am a personal trainer and use this as a quick easy log for my food. Food labels can be up to 300% wrong and still be approved by the FDA. WEIGH YOUR FOOD!

Good luck! :)

P.S. 1 lb of muscle and 1lb of fat weight the same...the muscle simply takes up 1/3 of the space the fat does...so take your circum. measurements as you go to make sure you are losing inches...fewer inches=less fat
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Okay...I see now ! Thanks to all of you for your for or help in understanding how it works.......so that now I can work it !!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: