Is WINE a no no?

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Calories are calories. You will have no problem losing weight if you have a few glasses of wine here and there.

Drink up! :drinker:

I would argue that alcohol is the exception to the "calories are calories" rule- carbs and fat and protein all do things for your body- alcohol is 7 cal/g that actually does nothing for your body in a nutritional sense.

That said, there's no problem with saving a few calories on the weekends for a couple drinks you like- and wine even has some positive antioxidants, so it's ok.

UNLESS you can't stop drinking once you start or it causes you to binge eat or it leads to depression feelings the next day- then you should probably abstain.
    I was under the impression that alcohol had carbohydrates in it, as the caloric value doesn't come from fats or proteins. Where do the calories come from, or is it your contention that carbohydrates do "nothing for your body in a nutritional sense"?

Also, as has been noted before, you don't get extra credit for exceeding your target numbers for nutrients. If you like the nutrient foods, great, but once you've hit your nutrition goals, there's no reason to skip the wine purely based on its nutritional value or lack thereof.

Alcohol itself is a 4th macro- it has 7cal/g. Most alcoholic beverages also have carbs- like beer and wine have sugars- but plain vodka, for example, has no carbohydrates, fat, or protein but still has calories- the calories are from the alcohol itself. \

Alcohol is a form of a carbohydrate if you look at the chemical structure but it's not a carbohydrate in the way your body digests it, thus it's considered it's own separate macro.
    Source for this, please?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    I started losing way before I found MFP - I have lost over 5st (70lbs), all the while enjoying Friday night beers (although I am more of a lightweight now).

I dont even log em.

So there.

getting a buzz quicker and cheaper is definitely a bonus of losing weight!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Calories are calories. You will have no problem losing weight if you have a few glasses of wine here and there.

I would argue that alcohol is the exception to the "calories are calories" rule- carbs and fat and protein all do things for your body- alcohol is 7 cal/g that actually does nothing for your body in a nutritional sense.

That said, there's no problem with saving a few calories on the weekends for a couple drinks you like- and wine even has some positive antioxidants, so it's ok.

UNLESS you can't stop drinking once you start or it causes you to binge eat or it leads to depression feelings the next day- then you should probably abstain.
    I was under the impression that alcohol had carbohydrates in it, as the caloric value doesn't come from fats or proteins. Where do the calories come from, or is it your contention that carbohydrates do "nothing for your body in a nutritional sense"?

Also, as has been noted before, you don't get extra credit for exceeding your target numbers for nutrients. If you like the nutrient foods, great, but once you've hit your nutrition goals, there's no reason to skip the wine purely based on its nutritional value or lack thereof.

Alcohol itself is a 4th macro- it has 7cal/g. Most alcoholic beverages also have carbs- like beer and wine have sugars- but plain vodka, for example, has no carbohydrates, fat, or protein but still has calories- the calories are from the alcohol itself. \

Alcohol is a form of a carbohydrate if you look at the chemical structure but it's not a carbohydrate in the way your body digests it, thus it's considered it's own separate macro.
    Source for this, please?

It doesn't need a source, it's basic nutrition. You can look it up in literally any nutrition textbook if you like.

You can look at the MFP standard entry (no asterisk) for vodka for a sanity check if you like- it has calories with zero carbs, zero protein, zero fat. Those calories come from the alcohol content.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member

Well not quite. Alcohol inhibits fat loss until it's burned up. So drinking quite a bit of alcohol while trying to lose body fat may be delayed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member

Well not quite. Alcohol inhibits fat loss until it's burned up. So drinking quite a bit of alcohol while trying to lose body fat may be delayed.

IDEA Fitness member

Not quite, I understand it thus: alcohol is the simplest carbohydrate and will be broken down in preference to others, all fat loss will be inhibited until the body has used up the energy available at any given moment in time.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    I think that if you have any "no-nos" at all, you will not be succsessful long term. You have to learn how to live in moderation every day. if you treat certain things like you are horrible to have them, you will probably rebel and feel bad. Have anything you want in moderation and learn how to make healthy choices most of the time so you don't have to give anything up. Myself, I save enough cals for a glass of wine just about every night.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member

IDEA Fitness member

Very interesting ninerbuff, so I guess a calorie is not a calorie then?
  • ninerbuff

IDEA Fitness member

A calorie is still a calorie. Macro nutrients and how each body specifically handles them is different. I may burn carbs much more efficiently than someone who has hormonal issues with carb intake. Doesn't mean that if we both ate 100 calories of carbs that the count is different. It's still 100 calories.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member

IDEA Fitness member

Not at all. It just happens to occupy a favored metabolic pathway and until it is exhausted, your body will not turn to other sources for conversion to ATP.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    ...but I have read that alcohol is just "empty" calories that should be avoided at all costs if one is trying to lose weight.

They are relatively empty calories, yes, but with a little planning there is no reason weight loss has to stall with empty calories.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member

IDEA Fitness member

Not at all. It just happens to occupy a favored metabolic pathway and until it is exhausted, your body will not turn to other sources for conversion to ATP.

Very interesting...body hanging onto fat whilst different foods being broken down via "favored metabolic pathways"...sounds like a calorie is not a calorie to me.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member

IDEA Fitness member

Very interesting...body hanging onto fat whilst different foods being broken down via "favored metabolic pathways"...sounds like a calorie is not a calorie to me.
    I hypothesize that this is due to confirmation bias.
  • ninerbuff

IDEA Fitness member

Let's look at this objectively: what is the first energy source that the body burns when doing a physical activity? That would by glycogen. Why not fat? Because metabolically, that's how the body works.
    When you sleep, what is the energy source? Glycogen? Nope, that would be 100% fat. Why? Because metabolically, that's how the body works.
    Alcohol is one of the few sources of "energy" that the body will turn to first if it's in the body at all and continues to use it till it's burned up. It supercedes any source of energy till it's gone.
    But 100 calories of alcohol= 100 calories of fat= 100 calories of carbs= 100 calories of protein.

IDEA Fitness member
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    NEVER - an occasional glass of wine is very good for you! Salute ~
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member

Source for this, please?

It doesn't need a source, it's basic nutrition. You can look it up in literally any nutrition textbook if you like.

You can look at the MFP standard entry (no asterisk) for vodka for a sanity check if you like- it has calories with zero carbs, zero protein, zero fat. Those calories come from the alcohol content.
    I've personally never found "it doesn't need a source" to be true in citations. Perhaps your experience is different. Good luck.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    I love my wine and have drank it since I started and lost 25#, it's all about moderation and balance.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Wine a no no?

No, Never, NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member

Source for this, please?

I've personally never found "it doesn't need a source" to be true in citations. Perhaps your experience is different. Good luck.

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/macronutrients.htm
    "Besides carbohydrate, protein, and fat the only other substance that provides calories is alcohol. Alcohol provides 7 calories per gram. Alcohol, however, is not a macronutrient because we do not need it for survival."
  • I have a glass most nights before bed, as long as I'm not going over my calories, it has never been an issue. Drink up and enjoy!
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Red wine contains resveratrol which is a potent antioxidant, which is great for you health;) So in my mind, it is actually a health food:)