why is cardio so bad?

Options
124»

Replies

• Missou
    Missou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use to be a very active teenager. My body was lean and strong. I was a dancer and a gymnast. Now, I have a heart problem and lost a lot of muscle mass because of a car accident. I saw a cardiologist for 2 appointments who told me that walking on a treadmill was useless and that weightlifting was so much better. He never saw me again. By the way, my treadmill has inclinations of -6 to +40%. I can not run anymore and the only two cardio workouts I can do are going uphill or swimming. After my pregnancies, I walked a lot but never worked my abs. I never lost my baby fat either.

You want a strong body, lift weights. You want to be able to take the stairs, do cardio. You want a strong, lean body and climb the Eiffel Tower, do a combination of both.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Great tips. Thanks everyone. But say I want to get a flatbelly, not a six pack, will a calorie deficit and cardio work or do I need strength training?

Strength train. Trust me, you won't accidentally get a stuff pack.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Cardio isn't bad, and I'm just going to repeat what others have said. Cardio is good for overall cardio health and for creating that calorie deficit. Weights (and I'm talking free weights, as well as the different machines, and I'm preferring the Hoist machines which incorporate your body weight into the targeted area) help to build your muscle, which sustains more of a resting calorie burn for you too. Or that's how it was explained to me by a personal trainer as well as a nutritionist. It makes sense so I've not bothered to confirm or deny that explanation.

Keep working on it the way that works best for you. If you have the ability to hire or work with a personal trainer (my gym had an option where I could choose a once a month training session so I have chosen that option), do it! Personal Trainers have studied so that they can recommend the right weights, exercises and/or machines to target the areas that you wish to improve and show you the safe way to do those exercises.
  • devodev44
    devodev44 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice here and as we get older, being strong enough to perform our daily activities is what really matters.

I lost 75 pounds not doing "cardio" in the way everyone defined the term. But I finally started living the life I wanted (e.g. walking more, cycling, and other activities that increased my HR) and for me, that was much more fun than the hamster-wheel.

If you just want to lose scale weight and look thin, just do a ton of cardio. But also remember to accept the physique the training gives you. Most people choose cardio not because of many of the benefits we've described, but they choose it over weight training because it's easier mentally and physically (hence the backlash)...which is why finding a piece of cardio equipment this time of a year is impossible in most facilities.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I find cardio mentally and physically harder; certainly when you consider calorie burn to time spent.
    Sure, a long walk isn't taxing, but takes a long time to burn calories.

Weights I've got to perform 45 movements with decent breaks inbetween every 5, then I'm done.
    I do find weights in the 'hypertrophy' range more taxing, but for strength where you're going heavy, not really found it a big thing.

Personally I always thought people chose cardio because they didn't know better - that's certainly why I chose it before I drunk the kool-aid!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I do find weights in the 'hypertrophy' range more taxing, but for strength where you're going heavy, not really found it a big thing.

Either your brain is build very differently than mine, or your heavy training is way different than mine. Working in the 90%+ range takes a certain type of mental fortitude that a lot of people just don't have.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Either your brain is build very differently than mine, or your heavy training is way different than mine. Working in the 90%+ range takes a certain type of mental fortitude that a lot of people just don't have.

I personally find that lifting in the near max range, particularly 90-95%+ to be incredibly taxing and I'm wasted afterwards. Form is also vital there and most likely to break down. Hypertrophy ranges are much easier for me.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Great tips. Thanks everyone. But say I want to get a flatbelly, not a six pack, will a calorie deficit and cardio work or do I need strength training?

Keep in mind...strength training does not have to be lifting 200 - 500 pounds.

I don't want a six pack either but I do resistance training to build enough muscle to be stronger.

You can use your own body weight...a pair of dumb bells...resistance bands. There are some great videos out here that combines cardio...strength...toning...all in one. No gym required...no heavy weights...

Oh and those videos out there...there are a lot of good ones...but there are many more...not so good...

I am sure that someone can recommend one to you...I use some off of fitness blender...they have different levels to choose from and walk you through the workout. I use one of Bob Harper's for strength training and then also do some resistance band work.

Find what works for you...try some out...ask some of the people here to recommend something...most of them can be found on the net if you search.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I personally find that lifting in the near max range, particularly 90-95%+ to be incredibly taxing and I'm wasted afterwards. Form is also vital there and most likely to break down. Hypertrophy ranges are much easier for me.

Um, folks, this is a newbie thread. Can we maybe save this for a different one? This stuff is pretty intimidating for someone just trying to flatten out her belly. :flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Um, folks, this is a newbie thread. Can we maybe save this for a different one? This stuff is pretty intimidating for someone just trying to flatten out her belly. :flowerforyou:

Point taken. Trash talking again, OP. Ignore us. Go back to what I said before, do some bodyweight training, find someone* you love, stick with it. And yea, enjoy your cardio, I sure as hell love mine.

Oh, and grrrrrrr!!!!! *smacks hands together* :bigsmile:

* I meant "something" but finding "someone" you love is also important, so I'm leaving it there. We all need love . . .
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Keep in mind...strength training does not have to be lifting 200 - 500 pounds.

I don't want a six pack either but I do resistance training to build enough muscle to be stronger.

You can use your own body weight...a pair of dumb bells...resistance bands. There are some great videos out here that combines cardio...strength...toning...all in one. No gym required...no heavy weights...

Oh and those videos out there...there are a lot of good ones...but there are many more...not so good...

I am sure that someone can recommend one to you...I use some off of fitness blender...they have different levels to choose from and walk you through the workout. I use one of Bob Harper's for strength training and then also do some resistance band work.

Find what works for you...try some out...ask some of the people here to recommend something...most of them can be found on the net if you search.

Just throwing this out there.....

Increase in Strength doesn't necessarily mean increase in mass.

What's the difference in strength and toning?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Point taken. Trash talking again, OP. Ignore us. Go back to what I said before, do some bodyweight training, find someone* you love, stick with it. And yea, enjoy your cardio, I sure as hell love mine.

Oh, and grrrrrrr!!!!! *smacks hands together* :bigsmile:

* I meant "something" but finding "someone" you love is also important, so I'm leaving it there. We all need love . . .

Thank you.

Have some love. :heart:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I do a slightly modified for my goals 'starting strength' based routine at the moment. While I'm not on amazing weights, definitely in 90%+ range. According to strstd.com I am closer to 'advanced' than 'intermediate' and if I was at my intended body weight would be on it.

But then I've never had a problem with picking up heavy stuff - I've always been the one that gets asked to help people moving house and so on (that and I've usually got a van of some kind :)).
    Keeping pushing my heart rate or long sets I don't like so much - at least with 3x5 you know that at the very most you've only got 4 more to go :). (But it's usually only the last one or two and I don't find 'pain' from pushing it to keep doing as I do with more reps, it's just a case of do it or fail with the 'heavy weights'.)
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. It's just not required. Lifting gets pushed because it's the best way to retain your muscle while you lose weight. Cardio can be useful for creating calorie deficit and of course it has health benefits as well. We do see a lot of members here who do hours and hours of cardio without eating enough to support their activity, so that's part of why cardio gets kind of a bad reputation.

I do both-- I lift and I run.

yes on this.

just like your food intake.... everything in moderation, haha!
  • emboslice94
    Options
    Cardio CAN be bad if you make it bad for your body. But more so in the sense that if you push your body to an extent with cardio, it will become dependent on cardio.

I'd honestly recommend HIIT, which I'm sure has been recommended a million times already. But also, just walking at a brisk pace for 20-30 minutes is great. And spice things up, one week I tend to do HIIT, alternating between sets of sprints and sets of jogging, and then the next week I'll do what I have dubbed MIIT (Moderate Intensive Interval Training), by alternating on a treadmill between fast walking at a high incline and a medium incline, and sometimes tossing in a one minute sprint if I'm getting bored. I ride horses, so depending on my schedule with that, I may alternate MIIT one day and HIIT the next.

It's all about diet in my opinion, but when you get into weight lifting, you'll want to evaluate whether or not you want to build muscle or lose fat more. It's hard to build a lot mass and lose fat because you're having your body doing very different things. There's also ways to incorporate cardio into weight lifting, you're not bound to a treadmill or an elliptical if you decide to do cardio.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've been reading posts and so many ppl are against it or say its unnecessary, and recommend just lifting. I also read that ppl get offended sometimes by others opinions, so please dont take offense of my question. we're all here to help each other, right? :smile:

I had an experience with a guy who was adamant that all cardio is a complete waste of time - total sham, bla bla bla - and I said that was cool for him (as a competitive body builder, he just wanted a certain physique and didn't really care how far he could run or how hard he could fight, etc). Anyway I made a joke that I was training for the Zombie Apocalypse and had to keep up with my cardio so he blocked me lol
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    But more so in the sense that if you push your body to an extent with cardio, it will become dependent on cardio.

:huh:

This makes no sense.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Short answer:

A mixture of calorie deficit (not starvation) + cardio + resistance = great recipe for sensible weight loss.

There are other methods, too, but the one listed above is full of moderation and works well for most.

Very sensible!!! If you are aiming for HEALTH, not just weight loss, then it's important to include both kinds of training because they have different benefits for your body. Cardio is short for "cardiovascular". Keeping it simple, cardio exercise keeps your heart and lungs strong and healthy. Resistance/strength training keeps your muscles and bones strong and healthy. Cardio + Resistance = Whole body health!

Women in particular I think need to realize the benefits of resistance/strength training since we are much more prone to osteoporosis. Resistance/Strength training increases bone density and keeps the muscles strong to hold the bones in place. Awesomeness.

Obviously, eating healthy provides your body the nutrition it needs to get you through that cardio and resistance/strength training and to recover and build that healthy body!

Best of luck in reaching your goals!!
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much!
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Anyway I made a joke that I was training for the Zombie Apocalypse and had to keep up with my cardio so he blocked me lol

Well, won't he feel silly when the Zombie Apocalypse hits?? :laugh: