Getting in all my water

Options
This topic has been posted many times, but I'm looking for new, helpful opinions.

I love water, and never had trouble drinking 64 oz a day. As a matter of fact, I was hospitalized for overhydration at one point!! Recently though, I'm really struggling to be consistent with my intake. I know thirst has nothing to do with how much we need.

In the olden days, Weight Watchers told us that any calorie free, non-carbonated beverage was considered water by their standards. I have at least 3 cups of decaf tea a day, and crystal light orange in the morning

Just wondering what the rest of you do

Thanks

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    There will be no new opinions on this. It has been hashed over many times.

Most people dont bother logging water anyway, it has no real use.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic has an article that may be helpful.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/water/ART-20044256

I basically monitor my total hydration and try to get most of my fluid from water outside of my morning coffee - mainly because I don't like drinking my calories unless it's a craft beer or good wine. I watch my "output" to ensure that it is pale yellow or clear.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    There will be no new opinions on this. It has been hashed over many times.

Most people dont bother logging water anyway, it has no real use.
    I log it for the lulz.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    On my best days, I make a pitcher of water with lemon wedges in it and try to drink it during the day. In the winter months, I sip it warm. I keep bottled water at my bedside so that, when I awaken thirsty at night, it's there.

For variety, I drink seltzer water with wedges of lime and lemon or mixed with fruit juice. Or I make tea by placing tea bags in a pitcher of water in the fridge overnight. In the summertime when fresh fruit is plentiful, I infuse my water. It all makes the water more interesting in appearance and taste and breaks up the monotony of drinking plain water every day.

Just try a variety of flavors to see what keeps you actually wanting to drink water instead of just tolerating it.

Good luck to you. :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I get in 64 ounces of water every day. I drink 8 ounces of water while I wait for my coffee to brew because it just seems to make the rest of the day go better. I drink another glass after I work out. So by the time I leave for work in the morning I have had 1/3 of my water. I drink a glass before lunch, and another one after. Same with Dinner. I carry a small water bottle I can refill in my brief case. I seem to do better with the before and after meals water method.

The thing is , my skin is so much better when I drink the water - and it helps me feel full before I eat.

Just my method, hope it helps.
  • chasethesky125
    Options
    Honestly, I prefer to drink just water and stay away from all the calorie-free stuff. I drink a diet coke every once in a while, but other than that I just drink water. Because when you drink pure water, it lowers the load on your kidneys. If you drink other liquids, you still have to filter it to reabsorb all the water.

But back to the point, i just keep a 20 oz. container around. I fill up it 3-4 times, and bam! I reached my water goal. Hydration is very, very important! So it's good that you're asking even though it's been asked already :)
    Good Luck!
    ~Rose:flowerforyou:
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you're eating the amount of protein you need to be ingesting, you need lots of water to keep your kidneys healthy and fully functioning into your old age (and even if you don't).

Eight glasses is the average for average body --- if you're bigger or more active than average, you need more. There are lots of water calculators out there.

Yes, you can count things like lemonade, tea, coffee but keep in mind that those often bring calories, the caffeine can mess with your water levels (among other things) and artificial sweeteners have their own dangers inherent.

Water is what your body can use 'as is' and with which it will function as its optimal level.
  • owlyalice
    owlyalice Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of water when I wake up so kick-start my metabolism, a bottle (two glasses) for my workout even if it's just a walk, water with each meal... I find if you always have water nearby you get through 8 glasses before dinner :P It does make a difference!
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a 28 oz water bottle. I like Camelbak because I love the straw and it's spill proof. I fill it up in the morning and keep it by my side all day. I find myself drinking 3-4 bottles a day. It wasn't easy to remember to drink it in the begining but now I feel lost without it!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of water when I wake up so kick-start my metabolism, a bottle (two glasses) for my workout even if it's just a walk, water with each meal... I find if you always have water nearby you get through 8 glasses before dinner :P It does make a difference!

Water doesn't kick start your metabolism. Your body is not a Harley.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I log my water. I alternate between water and Crystal like. I also drink the Sparkling I water. When I take my Meds I drink a glass. When I work out and meals two glasses. I keep a cup near me when I am home, in the car and on my desk at work.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic has an article that may be helpful.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/water/ART-20044256

I basically monitor my total hydration and try to get most of my fluid from water outside of my morning coffee - mainly because I don't like drinking my calories unless it's a craft beer or good wine. I watch my "output" to ensure that it is pale yellow or clear.

Me too.