Breastfeeding, calories, weight loss...

Hughes39
Hughes39 Posts: 169
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
HI! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

I was wondering if there was anyone who was breastfeeding and trying to lose weight? I hear that cutting calories isn't a good idea as it can affect your supply. But I'm no good at counting calories in the first place. How many should I be consuming a day? My short term goal is to loose 30 lbs by new years, but my over all goal is 100 pounds within the year.

Replies

• colechartier
    colechartier Posts: 12 Member
    i'm nursing my 11 week old exclusively and pumping for my 21 month old as well. I selected the third most active activity level and every time i pump i add it into my foods (it creates a negative calorie count) i also find the days i eat my calories bang on i lose the most weight...if i cut back too much i don't lose any at all...i think my body tries to hold on to the calories for the breastmilk on the days i cut back. Right now my daily goal is 1690 calories and since i get in a walk with a double stroller (30 lbs toddler and 14 lbs infant) burn about 250 cals from that. HTH!

Best of Luck!
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Hello I'm also a breastfeeding mom of a 5 month old baby girl. My dietician told me to not eat less than 1500 calories a day. I've lost almost 50 lbs since my daughter was born and it has not affected my milk supply. My baby is content after every meal and is consistantly gaining weight.

Try this link for more info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html
  • luvHim
    luvHim Posts: 35 Member
    Personally, I cannot eat any less than 1800 (a day here and there doesn't hurt). A consistent calorie allowance of 1800-2100 gives me a good milk supply. Anytime I go lower, I really struggle on the milk end. I hit a plateau for two months, but am finally losing again. My advice is not to go too low......especially if you're feeding two kids.
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    :flowerforyou:
    Relax-you WILL lose the weight,and you have plenty of time to do it!
    And nursing does burn,maybe at first you will not notice,but it is cumulative,and out of the blue you will start to drop.
    Good luck!You have beautiful children :smile:
This discussion has been closed.