Food Addicts in Recovery

Options
A co-worker of mine has been an active member of Food Addicts in Recovery. She lost 160+ lbs with the program, and her transformation is really impressive and motivational.

I am wondering if we have any former or current FA members among us. If so, please share your experiences, whether positive or negative!

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I find the FA diet to be overly restrictive and I am not convinced it helps to better anyone's relationship with food. I think it demonizes many different types of food and does not teach the practice of moderation. However, I am also unconvinced about the notion of "food addiction" in general after doing a lot of research and reading on it.

It might be a program that is sustainable for you, but I like junk food, alcohol, and diet soda far too much to go on it. I prefer to practice moderation of the things I enjoy instead. Just my two cents.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I find the FA diet to be overly restrictive and I am not convinced it helps to better anyone's relationship with food. I think it demonizes many different types of food and does not teach the practice of moderation. However, I am also unconvinced about the notion of "food addiction" in general after doing a lot of research and reading on it.

It might be a program that is sustainable for you, but I like junk food, alcohol, and diet soda far too much to go on it. I prefer to practice moderation of the things I enjoy instead. Just my two cents.

I agree completely. Well stated.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I would like to note that OA and FA in Recovery is not the same program.

From what I understand FA In Recovery is far more restrictive and has requirements about how many meetings the member must attend, and what foods they can and can not eat.

I am a firm believer in 12 step work, but not in a extremely restrictive format (which seems to be the theme in FA). All recovery is about progress, not perfection.