Healthy "trigger" foods - how do you cope?

Options
I generally eat healthy - no junk food, mostly home-cooked stuff. But I have what I call "trigger" foods that eaten in moderation are considered healthy ( e.g. nut butters, dark ( > 80% cocoa ) chocolate ) only in my case I struggle not to eat too much once I have them in my cupboard. Does anyone else have such a problem and if you do, how do you cope? Obviously the simplest solution would be not to buy them but I do not see a reason why the rest of my family ( who do not have weight issues ) should suffer...

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Nutella is the devil. It is hard not to end up naked in the bathtub with an empty jar and it smeared all over your face while you cry.
  • catnipburrito
    Options
    Definitely Nutella. Peanut butter is another one, nuts in general as well. Sorbet of any kind
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i hear you on the nut butters! I found a prepackaged 90 cal almond butter "barneys butter" on amazon. The small portion really helps control me. Lord knows otherwise I would be sticking that spoon in over and over
  • professormudd1
    Options
    I also have a love for nut butters. Thank god I found out about PB2. I also really love guacamole. For that I get 100 calorie snack packs. The rest of the foods I love are pretty much off of the table for me any more (fried foods).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Nutella is the devil. It is hard not to end up naked in the bathtub with an empty jar and it smeared all over your face while you cry.

lol I love this.

I don't really have an issue with any of the foods I keep on hand. Even nutella, PB, and nuts I portion out and use caution. However, I am REALLY glad noosa yogurt is pretty pricey or I might have a serious issue with that.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If I keep them in a drawer that I hardly open, I more or less forget it's there. Foods like that only call my name when I set my eyes on them. I've had the same 8oz bag of unwrapped mini Reese's in a drawer in my kitchen for almost a month now. If they were on the counter, they wouldn't have lasted two days. BUT now that you bring it up.... I'm going to have to grab some chocolate. Thanks a bunch.... :grumble:
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    I stopped eating candy b/c I was just eating too much. After about a week, all my cravings for them just plain stopped. Then Christmas came and so did the pleas, "Are you going to make Peanut Butter Balls" (PB, Powdered Sugar, Chocolate) and "Hey, can you bring desserts to Christmas Eve dinner". In the past, I would make 70 of these heavenly delights and eat 20 of them in a day. To make it worse, I made Birds Nests, Home-made Take 5's, it all looked so good but I just did not have the cravings.

I am happy to say that I lost almost 5 lbs during Christmas and New Years weeks b/c I controlled the cravings, these foods no longer trigger gluttony.

This may not help you at all - so try this, look at the suggested serving size and stick to it, make yourself log everything so you know the damage and do not partake if you are over your limits. Essentially, set up some rules that only you have to follow.

Good Luck - sorry to ramble on.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

yes!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

I avoided nutella like the plague for well over a decade because I assumed this would be me. Turns out, I don't care for it much. Too sweet for me somehow.

Now Reisens chocolate chews, I always say I'll just eat a couple pieces a day. Yeah, never happens.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Oh dear.....I feel your pain.

I have many diagnosed intolerances to foods .....and my body's response to that ranges from mild reaction to fairly problematic.

I too love chocolate, but it hates me. Once I start it is very difficult to control portions and the result is not pretty. There are other things to which are issues....ie gluten type things and too much coffee.

The way I have tried to cope is varied and has had a very checkered success rate. :huh:

I have tried only buying small portion pack of my fav. treat. That mostly works....gets me the taste without too many nasty physical side effects.

I sympathise with your situation trying to mitigate your issues with family needs. For me tho, my bad responses have sadly worsened the more I tempt the issue, and really I have HAD to just be really stern with myself about not having those 'trigger' foods around.
    I have had success with this; and my change in attitude (I am an adult and it's not the end of the world after all) and maybe it will work for you. I have just made myself satisfied with another yummy food that doesn't make me respond in this way.......berries and home-made greek yoghurt have become a favourite.

Good Luck
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    How did I get in this tub?!? :laugh:
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I currently have a tupperware of leftover homemade champagne frosting from some cupcakes I made on NYE sitting in the fridge, and it's taking every once of willpower I have not to just sit in front of the TV with a spoon and the tupperware on my lap. UGH.

If I don't have those sort of things around the house, I hardly ever crave them and I'm unlikely to go out and get them. But if they're there, I have a really hard time not snacking.
  • dukesup42
    Options
    I make sure I buy the smallest packaging possible. While not always making financial sense, if I go crazy and eat the whole package of something, at least its not too bad. When shopping, I always check how many servings are in the container. I am especially bad with these dried snappea crisps - while they aren't absolutely terrible for me, sometimes I just go super crazy and eat the whole bag. Fortuantely, that's only 420 calories so it's not so horrible I can't make it up. I also love guacamole, but I only buy it in 100 calorie packs so that I know I can eat a whole little container without having to feel guilty.

TL;DR: I just buy everything in the smallest size possible so if I eat the whole container, it's not the end of the world.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Next time, please keep the picture sharing to a minimum. I really don't like having to explain to my boyfriend the random bodysuit pictures...
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Covered raisins! Many times I used to sit and eat the whole 200g bag over 2 days. They never get bought any more!
    Sometimes I'll go to a health store and weigh out 25 grams of yoghurt or chocolate ones but mostly I just avoid food I know I can't stop eating.
    Mindless eating was, and still is occasionally my downfall.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

Can I watch you?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Can I watch you?

Only if you bring graham crackers.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

Can I watch you?

Only if you bring graham crackers.

Sure
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to have a problem with it anymore now that I plan them into my day. Peanut butter was my worst. I'd demolish a jar of natural PB in like a couple of hours if one would let me(oh the chest pains you get from that. I don't recommend that ever). Now, I consume peanut butter again, but I measure it out with the kitchen scale. Cereal used to be bad too. Now that I've upped my daily carb allowance, I don't crave them anymore like I did, so they don't trigger binges.

As someone else said, mindless eating is my downfall as well. The kitchen scale is my best friend these days.