Dieting while sick.

Options

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just because you are lying around does not mean you are not burning calories. Your body is working hard to get you well again. Don't worry so much about the different categories,etc. You can still eat wisely as long as it doesn't make you feel worse.
  • elmr34
    elmr34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Had a bad cold for a few days last week- ate whatever I wanted. Tried to eat healthy-ish 'sick foods' but I felt so crappy I didn't really prepare any legitimate meals. Didn't exercise either. Just slept a ton, blew my nose constantly, and used my neti pot. I certainly wouldn't want to feel like I had even less energy by eating a deficit number of calories. My whole goal when I am sick is to get better.

Usually when I am *really* sick I have no appetite at all or can't hold down food- I wouldn't try to force myself to eat if I was nauseous with a 24 hour bug. So you won't hit your macros for a few days- you can get back on track when you are better!
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I was JUST about to post something similar to this so lemme highjack your post a little :)

What about when you've had the stomach virus? I haven't thrown up in over 24 hours but I DO NOT feel like eating AT ALL. I'm drinking fluids but just don't wanna eat. Do I have to? :sad:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    That's stupid. Of course calories count when sick. Especially because you're sitting around in bed all day. I suggest that since you don't have much of an appetite, just eat what you can. Don't force yourself to eat, but do eat often since the fever may burn calories.

How-Rude-Stephanie-Full-House.gif
    Options
    That's stupid. Of course calories count when sick. Especially because you're sitting around in bed all day. I suggest that since you don't have much of an appetite, just eat what you can. Don't force yourself to eat, but do eat often since the fever may burn calories.

yeahhh, not gonna make many friends like that.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Your sarcasm meter needs calibrated.

^Agreed
    star-trek-joke-gif.gif
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Go with the feels when sick. Don't eat if you don't want it, eat more if you do.

Feel better soon!! :flowerforyou:

This.
    Just listen to your body!
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've had flu for the past two days, and weirdly my diet has been far better than it normally is. Eating well is significantly easier while I sit in bed watching silly documentaries.

Try to eat small meals, like vegetable soup, wholemeal toast, wholemeal sandwiches and salads. I had a frozen banana earlier, since my throat was really sore. Avoiding greasy food should stop you from vomiting.

The most important thing is to drink as much water as you can. Try to avoid caffeine and alcohol.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Calories don't count when sick. I read that somewhere once.

I kinda do this. I kind of go off my "diet" when sick. I eat all the foods b/c I beleive being well nourished helps my body fight the cold. I get sick rarely and it doesnt' last that long...so it doesnt' affect my dieting too much. That's if it's an all over beating my body to death kind of cold. If it's just sniffles or sore throat or whatnot I eat normal diet style., but make room in my macros for things I beleive combat colds like OJ, garlic, chili, and honey for my throat.
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was JUST about to post something similar to this so lemme highjack your post a little :)

What about when you've had the stomach virus? I haven't thrown up in over 24 hours but I DO NOT feel like eating AT ALL. I'm drinking fluids but just don't wanna eat. Do I have to? :sad:

You should try some dry toast. Anything with fats (butter etc.) is more likely to make you vomit. If you're ok after a few hours, have a small meal.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

You should try some dry toast. Anything with fats (butter etc.) is more likely to make you vomit. If you're ok after a few hours, have a small meal.

For barf sicks I just call it a day, follow whatever will help my body get better and start over when I'm well. These usually end up being very very low cal days and since my cal goals are for weight loss it doesn't matter. To be honest nothing much matters to me when I'm sick until I get over it.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Your young, I get it. That's kinda how young folk talk to one another and no offense is intended. Most of us on here are not young folks, careful how you phrase things. Now, get off my lawn!
    Options

I know what I SHOULD have, but my point is I DON'T WANNA eat. :laugh: I had a dry english muffin today but I don't feel like eating again.
    Options

Your young, I get it. That's kinda how young folk talk to one another and no offense is intended. Most of us on here are not young folks, careful how you phrase things. Now, get off my lawn!

:drinker:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I was sickly for a couple of days and lived on Salsa and cookies. Not together,of course. Salsa cleared my head, and cookies just tasted good.

And I agree, calories don't count when you are sick. The germs in your body eat all the calories for you! :drinker:
  • ukulelist
    ukulelist Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I decided not to log when I had a bad cold this week, because I didn't want to set up any self-defeating incentives like skimping on carbs if my body needs easy energy to get better. I think it's best to eat as you feel like when sick. It would take more than a few days of over- or undereating to cause significant nutritional trouble.

If you're hungry then I would probably suggest suggest eating a smaller deficit than normal or at maintenance in the case of a cold if you can stomach it, since you want to be adding as little stress to the body as possible. Burning fat is harder than using readily available blood sugar, and while normally that's what you want, I'd guess that making things as easy on your body as you can would lead to a speedier recovery -> back to the gym sooner -> more long term success than eating at a deficit for those few days.

On the other hand, if you're not hungry that's probably a sign that your body has other things it's busy doing besides digestion, and maybe it's good to cut it some slack. Drinking fluids with calories like juice / ginger ale / broth should be enough to keep you going until you feel like solid food again. Also very bland simple carbs like saltines and white rice might be easier to start with.

I don't worry about macros while I'm sick, I'm not lifting (;_;) and it's not like I'm going to lose significant muscle mass in a week. I eat more carbs and don't worry about protein unless that's what sounds good.

I'm not that kind of doctor and this is all just my opinion :)
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Also next time take Zinc as soon as you start to feel sick...itll help you not get the full cold.....Its helped me all thru October so far. By now Im usually sick especially if the kids are sick just took one earlier when my nose started bothering me
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It is a weekend and weekend calories don't count. But you are also sick and sick calories don't count. Purple.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I know what I SHOULD have, but my point is I DON'T WANNA eat. :laugh: I had a dry english muffin today but I don't feel like eating again.

I'd say eat again when you fancy something. If you don't fancy anything more today, so be it. Sip on water as often as you can stomach
    Options

I'd say eat again when you fancy something. If you don't fancy anything more today, so be it. Sip on water as often as you can stomach

I just :heart: when people use the word fancy :drinker: