fitness routine for 35-60 trying to lose weight

Options
Hey guys! I just got a job as a personal trainer at a gym (sorta, getting my certification right now) and I was curious as to the routines done by those of you who are 35-60 aiming to lose weight!?

I would really appreciate it!!

ALSO- have you had a trainer? If so, what did you like/would have liked/not liked about them?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    What would you tell us to do?

ETA: I'm not trying to be rude, this just kind of feels like you are asking the community so you can use our workout plans to complete your homework. If you came up with a plan, I'd be happy to give you feedback.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 36, and I lift heavy (as in, weights that I can generally or almost complete 5 sets of 5) using free weights. I run as a warmup. And I don't plan on "scaling back" any as I go through the next 15 years.

I think that a person's goals and starting health and fitness should be more of a factor than age. Some people in their 20s would need to start at a much lower level, if they've never worked out or are significantly overweight, and I know there are several ladies (and some guys as well) on here that are in their 40s and enjoy the heavy lifting. What will help you the most as a trainer is to listen carefully to your clients' goals and current level and tailor your program to fit them … age is a small factor, but not as important as many people make it, in my opinion.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's a bit of an odd question - why would they be different to people 18-34 apart from perhaps intensity adjustments for injuries or infirmity?
    If you do an assessment and training program based on age as the main priority that would be a mistake - everyone has different capabilities, limitations and goals, that would be a better start point IMHO.

I'm 53 and my routine would be totally excessive for an unfit youngster.

BTW - I hope you would start off by telling your clients to calorie count if they want to lose weight.
  • brianna49415
    Options

ETA: I'm not trying to be rude, this just kind of feels like you are asking the community so you can use our workout plans to complete your homework. If you came up with a plan, I'd be happy to give you feedback.

Again- I'm new. And after some observing/working with other trainers I saw things I thought that worked and what didn't, however, I'm not the one on the other end of it. That's why I wanted input on what things you like doing or don't think work, etc. You'd be surprised how often clients don't tell their trainers the truth about what they are getting out of sessions, positive or negative.
  • brianna49415
    Options
    That's a bit of an odd question - why would they be different to people 18-34 apart from perhaps intensity adjustments for injuries or infirmity?
    If you do an assessment and training program based on age as the main priority that would be a mistake - everyone has different capabilities, limitations and goals, that would be a better start point IMHO.

BTW - I hope you would start off by telling your clients to calorie count if they want to lose weight.

I agree;age is definitely not a concrete factor. I guess I was solely thinking along the lines of those who are overweight and a little older than someone in their late teens/twenties. It's not a main priority and evaluations are always taken with new clients.
    And calorie counting is always a discussion!

I have a solid understanding on the way the body works, but my only problem is, I myself have never been overweight so it's hard for me to closely relate. I love listening to people and talking with them, but I'm new and thought MFP would have more of those who have been through it and could help me in the beginnings of athletic training with what has worked for them; what they've liked, what they haven't liked, etc. People are definitely more open on boards like this than they are in person.
  • kgeyser
    Options

Again- I'm new. And after some observing/working with other trainers I saw things I thought that worked and what didn't, however, I'm not the one on the other end of it. That's why I wanted input on what things you like doing or don't think work, etc. You'd be surprised how often clients don't tell their trainers the truth about what they are getting out of sessions, positive or negative.

Actually, I wouldn't, as I used to work as a personal trainer. What does or does not work is going to be different for every person, based on their physical limitations, the type of program they want, the type of exercise they enjoy, etc. It's the same as any other age group. The only person who can tell you what is working is the client, and developing that rapport with them is a large part of the job and, in my opinion, a large part of what makes a successful trainer. Asking someone else just because they happen to be around the same age isn't going to tell you what you want to know.

Edited to remove the second paragraph about people helping you out.
  • kgeyser
    Options
    I myself have never been overweight so it's hard for me to closely relate.

Seriously? :huh:
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Here is what i did. I was 58 when i started. I have some foot problems, so i could not do treadmilll or running. I started out with regular cardio, doing 20 minutes a day on the elliptical or bike. I gradually worked up until i was doing an hour a day. Once i coild do an hour, i started a hiit routine. I started slow, with 15 sec on 45 seconds slow on the bike for 8 rounds. That is with a 5 minute warmup, then finishing up with regular cardo for a total of 30 minutes. I did this 3 times a week. I used scoobys workshop to figure out my calories and kept track here.
    I started off doing weight machines, but as i became stronger and more fit i switched over to stronglifts. I gradually decreased my cardio total as i got more into the resistance training, so that at the end i was no longer doing the hour on my weight training days, only doing the hiit 3 days a week, and 10 minutes to warm up for weights.
    I lost from 272 to 195 in 16 months. I want do drop another 15 this year so i need to get back on my diet.
    Mike
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I agree;age is definitely not a concrete factor. I guess I was solely thinking along the lines of those who are overweight and a little older than someone in their late teens/twenties. It's not a main priority and evaluations are always taken with new clients.
    And calorie counting is always a discussion!

I have a solid understanding on the way the body works, but my only problem is, I myself have never been overweight so it's hard for me to closely relate. I love listening to people and talking with them, but I'm new and thought MFP would have more of those who have been through it and could help me in the beginnings of athletic training with what has worked for them; what they've liked, what they haven't liked, etc. People are definitely more open on boards like this than they are in person.

OK - see where you are coming from. Here's what I've been up to in the last few years.....

Injury restrictions I've picked up in last 30 years:
    Right knee - multiple injuries and limited ability to run distance.
    Left knee - two major injuries and instability. (Beating my prognosis for total replacement by age 50). Squats not good for me, lunges dreadful, running very limited...
    Lower back - three badly compressed lumbar discs from multiple herniations. (Been under threat of fusion surgery for 10 years, disc capsules would tear doing very ordinary activities let alone training). Precludes any great vertical compression. Deadlifts, squats, heavy standing OHP all out of the question.
    Shoulder - two injuries which make it very sensitive to certain angles or exercises.

So started my 50's thinking I was 25lbs overweight but in reality 30lbs as didn't have the same muscle mass. Very average fitness and probably 50% of my strength peak. Key to exercise was finding a way to manage my back - that turned out to be a really good Osteopath plus core and ab exercises on a gym ball. Built up steadily and found the more I did the more my core supported my spine. Very high reps and progressively added difficulty & ROM - endurance much more important that ultimate strength.

Started to cycle more seriously and in a couple of years went from a few 10 mile rides to completing my first 100 mile day. Cycling was key to my aerobic fitness - no impact is kind to my joints (plus I really enjoy it!). Now have really good VO2 max - excellent range for someone in their 20's is my goal for this year.

For strength training I do a wide mix of machines, body weight & free weights. Biggest age related difference is that progression is slower, recovery takes longer and if you have a training break you lose strength quicker. It's taken a year for my bench press to go from 140lbs to 220lbs whereas in my teens/20's I could add weight just about every session.

My normal weekly routine is 3 x cardio, 3 x strength (alternating) but this varies throughout the year.
    Cardio is a mix of LISS, HIIT, highish intensity/long duration using spinning bike, rower, elliptical and some very limited treadmill, one session would be a long or intense cycle.
    Strength training tends to be in a high tempo, high volume style as injuries prevent me doing most of the classic compound lifts. Don't do a lot of leg work (leg press, leg curl, good mornings) mostly due to injury but also to keep legs fresh for cardio.

As regard weight - I've always compensated for periods of intense training by eating more so calorie counting was the key. I have really maintained my weight for last 20 years but just maintained overweight. Very high calories burns from exercise really helped take away any feeling of restriction as I could eat more - the MFP style of eating back calories works for me! My "perfect weight" in my 50's also turned out to be lower than expected.
    Fast weight loss for us old farts is more likely to result in loose skin so would recommend slow and steady.

One thing to watch out for with older people is out of date ideas and training methods - I had a battle royal over stretching routines with my fellow youth rugby coaches for example!

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if anything isn't clear.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Getting a trainer was the best move I ever made. I had to shop around for one though. I tried a few and we didn't click. Now I have one that I wouldn't trade for the world. I am 53 and when I am in losing weight mode, i work out six days a week with a trainer three of those days.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Why on earth do you want to be a personal trainer? If you're qualified to become a personal trainer, why then are you not able to come up with your own routines? Isn't that what personal trainers do?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    can't you just basically use starting strength, strong lifts 5x5 and wendler 5/3/1 they have books. just buy them and do them verbatim.

I go to my trainer to get the most out of my form. I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly and safely.