Ran today and my heel/arch hurts?

Options
So I haven't ever been a runner, but I started and have been running not a lot but a few times a week, today I ran further than I have before, 4 miles, and now my heel/arch area hurts, i's like not the heel, or the arch, it's just that bit inbetween the heel and arch. My mom has plantar fascitis but I don't see how I could have gotten that so quickly. I've been running in basketball shoes though....however, this is the fist time i've had this pain, and it's like a dull ache not a sharp pain, my calf is also very tight on that leg. so what is it?

Replies

• VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Could be many things causing the pain while wearing shoes that are not fitting or supporting your feet for running. Running sneakers are important and properly fitting shoes are also important.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Tendonitis or plantar fascitis can happen relatively quickly if you're running without proper support and overdo it.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    My guess is the shoes??
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Sounds like plantar fascitiis to me. I got it in August and what a PITA it was. I got it from overdoing things. Make sure you get some proper rest for your foot... don't try continuing to run on it, it'll just make it worse. I ended up barely even being able to walk, it hurt sooooooooo much. I got a night splint to wear and over a few weeks it got better and now it's completely gone.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the shoes. It's essential they be made for the activity. Otherwise you could be making yourself vulnerable to injury, either sudden or chronic.

I'm pretty cheap when it comes to workout clothes, except my shoes. My advice is go to footlocker and have one of the reps help you find shoes for your feet. They're really good. Then you can buy them at a discount store after. :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like exactly how plantar fasciitis starts. If your pain is worst with your first few steps in the morning, then: Bingo! That's what you have.
    Get some supportive insoles (Superfeet are best -- Spencos will do) and stretch the bottom of your feet. (Google "stretching" and "plantar fasciitis." You'll find some good stretches.)
    Do these things immediately!
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've had similar problems, woot flat feet. Check the supports on your shoes, like actually get them fitted by someone who knows what they're doing, make sure they look at your foot structure and if you pronate or not. I need inserts and had them fitted recently, it's made a huge difference. You should also make a point of stretching your ankles and arches, I've found that any problems I have are worse when I don't stretch my arches when I stretch everything else.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    get better shoes and take it alittle easyer on the runs for a little bit
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Plantar fascitiis. You may only have been running for a short time, but walking also contributes to it, especially if you are prone to it and/or you are carrying extra weight. I do not run but I developed PF just from walking and being fat.

I just got some cheap orthotics from the drugstore and they actually helped! Stretching helps. And one thing that helped me was making sure I wear supportive shoes when I'm in the kitchen (no carpet, standing for a long time if I'm cooking). I like to be barefoot or just wear socks or slippers in the house but this one really made a difference for me. If you stand a lot in your daily life consider this. Your mileage may vary; I saw someone on the boards earlier this week who swore that going barefoot helped his plantar fascitiis, but that just sounds wrongedy-wrong to me.
  • bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That happened to me last summer and I continued to exercise. Then I noticed that the area between my heel and arch was swollen so I cut the exercise. I had surgery early Dec. for ruptured tendon after 7 sessions of dry needling which didn't help at all. The surgeon did a tendon transfer (my posterior tibia tendon was in ruins and that is what holds up your arch. He also had to cut my heel bone to move over to realign my foot. The Achilles tendon was lengthened to attach differently. I've been NWB since then and have 4 more weeks to go before he starts me in a walking boot with PT.

Plantar fasciitis is painful in the back of your heel. Take care of your feet- it is terrible when you can't use one. Stretch, stretch, stretch. I am 60 years old so that may have made a difference also. In a year though, the surgeon plans to have me back doing everything.
  • bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do NOT go barefoot or wear flips if you shave plantar fasciitis. I was to have release surgery on mine (after 3 years PT) but I fell down the stairs and ended up on crutches. Mine got better after not exercising for 6 months.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say for sure that its PF. however I do recommend going and getting fitted for proper running shoes if you plan on continuing to run. I actually had a lot of shin splint issues and had fascitis (I did seek Dr,s advise) and was told to continue with my running since I was training for a Half marathon. BUT if my foot started to flare up I needed to take a day or two off.. I made it through my training and had a flare up after my HM, but that was to be expected. I rested and have recovered. I am now in training for two more HMs and so far have not had any bad flare ups.

Correctly fitted running shoes will help, I don't think its a good idea for you to continue running in basketball shoes.

Ankle rotations, toe taps and some stretching before running will help as well

Good luck I hope your issues go away and you can continue to run, I love it!! :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Go quickly (if not sooner) to a running store and have a gait analysis done. They will get you into the proper running shoes for your anatomy. Until you can do that, STOP running. Basketball shoes - egads
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Time to invest in a good pair of running shoes that are made for your foot and your gait.
  • CaliopeCupcake
    Options
    Ditto---time to a break before it becomes chronic! I got PF while a letter carrier--ouch. just exercise in a chair so there is no weight on the feet. when it no longer hurts, try SPENCO insole liners for your supportive shoes---the soft ones with the soft arch support. Buy them on eBay about $10. if you shop around. They are the best, washable, and last for years. SPENCO makes numerous joint support bands out of the same material--spongy but never wears down. I use them everyday in all my shoes and it makes only a half size difference in some-- not all, shoes. also use the half sole ball of foot ones in my high heels & cowboy boots, and my feet never hurt.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    rolled on a ball (both feet even though only 1 hurt) and an ice bottle and also did some stretches and kept off it for the last few hours and it stopped hurting. My calves are very tight so I'm stretching those too and tomorrow is rest day and I'll try to get shoes ASAP maybe tomorrow