900 cals okay on days not exercising??

Options
ok so I have my calorie goal set for 1400 a day and I exercise m-f. but since I take sat and sun off from working out is it smart to keep my calorie goal for those days at 900-1000? it seems like that is what I should do if im not working out so that way im nt eating back calories on days I don't exercise.

Replies

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Are you using MFP's calculations? If so, your deficit is already built into your calorie goal. You should be eating 1400 on rest days (which is still a deficit) and 1400+exercise cals on workout days.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    1400 cals is your TDEE or is it the number MFP set for you based on the answers you gave?
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    i would end up eating my own arm or fainting if had that little amount of energy to survive on.

try it, but when you have weekends where you feel like complete trash and you don't feel like getting up on sunday/monday morning put it back :)

out of interest what intensity are your working out at and what would be your goal burn during said workout?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Even 1400 seems low. How did you arrive at that number?
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Seems too low to me.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This can help you figure out what you should be eating. Unless you are 3 feet tall, 900 calories is probably too low.
  • EandA85
    EandA85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Way too low. Going by your ticker I'd start with 1600-1800 plus eating at least 1/2 of your exercise calories back.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No that's not what you should do. MFP is set up with your deficit built in. Your calorie goal is a goal because you're meant to reach it. Also you should be eating back at least half of your exercise calories.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    NO
    This.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    No.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    No....just no.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people will disagree, but I feel an occasional day of 900 calories is ok. However, if you find yourself hungry you should eat more. Like someone said on here the MFP already factors a deficit, so you dont need to go below that.
  • supergirl222
    Options
    how are you able to do that? maybe cause i have absolutely no self control. I am just unable to keep myself on such a rigid calorie defecit... i just eat when I am hungry. I have a hard time limiting my calories below 1800.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    um, no,,,, duh, lets drink and kick someass
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people will disagree, but I feel an occasional day of 900 calories is ok. However, if you find yourself hungry you should eat more. Like someone said on here the MFP already factors a deficit, so you dont need to go below that.

I don't think anyone here is going to tell you that an occasional day of 900 calories isn't ok, but two days out of every week when she is already on a calorie restriction the rest of the week isn't exactly occasional.
  • mssag
    mssag Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It depends. I will have some low days because I focus on meeting my calorie goal on a 7 day rolling average (i.e., calories may be high on some days, low on others, but average out to my calorie goal). The way I view it is that our bodies are not looking at calories in a 24 hour window necessarily - 24 hrs is just an arbitrary time frame. This has worked well for me - I will stay on the lower side M-Th, which gives me some wiggle room on the weekends when I tend to go out to dinner and/or drinks with friends.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options

One day I found myself at 800 calories and then I had cheesecake -- oh well :bigsmile: