Im new-Some questions :D

Options
Hi, I'm just starting out trying to lose weight, I've been a heavy girl all of my life and have very low self-esteem.
My current info is- Age:18; Weight: 239 lbs; Height: 5'7

Last Thursday i started trying to lose weight, i cut my calories in half using this website, and have started watching what i eat trying to meet my calorie goal of 1.3k a day without going over. I also used to drink a 2L of pop daily.. i stopped cold turkey and drink nothing but water now. I don't exercise much besides the normal walking around the house, since i attend cyber school i am mostly at the computer.

Question Time!
So far i have lost 5 pounds, i was wondering if that was a good amount for the week?
Will i continue to lose at this pace?
And would it be possible to be at 200 by mid-April ish? If so how..?
Any low calorie snacks you can think of? Or anything i can substitute, like wheat bread for regular.
Lastly, on the goals section is says my calorie deficit is 1000 What does this mean?
Any help is very much appreciated, I'm kind of alone trying to lose weight and would love some support..

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm just starting out trying to lose weight, I've been a heavy girl all of my life and have very low self-esteem.
    Last Thursday i started trying to lose weight, i cut my calories in half using this website, and have started watching what i eat trying to meet my calorie goal of 1.3k a day without going over. I also used to drink a 2L of pop daily.. i stopped cold turkey and drink nothing but water now. I don't exercise much besides the normal walking around the house, since i attend cyber school i am mostly at the computer.
    So far i have lost 5 pounds, i was wondering if that was a good amount for the week?
    Any low calorie snacks you can think of? Or anything i can substitute, like wheat bread for regular.
    Lastly, on the goals section is says my calorie deficit is 1000 What does this mean? Quote

To help everyone help you better, you should open your diary or tell us your age, weight, gender, and height.

It isn't unusual to lose 5 lbs the first week due to water loss. But you cannot expect this every week (please!!!). You should set MFP for 1 pound per week and eat back exercise calories. You should net at least1200 calories per day
  • Paradokx
    Paradokx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did clarify i was a girl, and my age, weight, and height, currently I'm not to comfortable opening my diary since i haven't completely changed to healthy eating (why i asked for good ideas) so i will later on when I'm more confident, and less embarrassed ha ha.
    Also, i do eat at least 1200 calories a day currently. And thank you so much for your help! Hope i get more suggestions :)
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Question Time!
    Lastly, on the goals section is says my calorie deficit is 1000 What does this mean?
    Any help is very much appreciated, I'm kind of alone trying to lose weight and would love some support..

When you first starting dieting its normal to see a large loss for a few weeks but the is mainly water with some fat loss.

Nope you will start to notice a slow down in weight loss till you hit a constant 1-2lbs a week

Doubtful 38lbs in just over 12 weeks is a tall order if done healthy.

Its the difference between what you are eating and what you would need to eat to maintain your current weight. with a deficit of 1000 calories you body will use upto a 1000 calories of fat reserves and other things to make up the deficit it needs to run.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I would consume more than 1300 calories per day if I were you, but it's your choice.
    When you first start losing weight you will lose a lot from water, maybe even 10lbs or more, so you will lose more over the first two or three weeks.
    You may be able to lose around 15lbs-30lbs by mid-April, but it is better not to try to rush things.
    A 1000 calorie deficit means that if, for example, your body needs 2500 calories a day to maintain itself (i.e. stay the same weight etc.), then if you consume 1500 calories per day then you would be in a 1000 calorie deficit. A 1000 calorie deficit is usually the largest deficit recommended in order to stay healthy, but I personally think it is too large a deficit for most people.
  • Paradokx
    Paradokx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Alright thank you both for the help! Really answered my questions~!