Body Fat and How to lose them?

Options
Hi, I just started using MFP but I visit this site regularly. Finally made an account today lol.
So I got a few questions, I don't know how to start.

I'm 24 yrs old, 4' 11'' in height and 100 pounds. Sometimes I go up to 102 pounds but never go less than 100 pounds :(
Some details:
waist: 29 inches
thigh: 18 inches
upper arm: 12 inches

I lost around 20 pounds since last year but when I look at the mirror I still see myself as fat. Being surrounded with thin people in my family and friends this is really hard for me. I want to trim down my waist (to 25-26 inches) and my upper arm (because they look fat). Some are saying that I need to decrease my body fat.

How can I decrease my body fat / tone up my body?
What are the type of foods I need to eat?
Will calorie deficit technique still needed to reduce body fat?
Is there any site that will help me get my body fat percentage using a tape measure?

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Your stats puts you at a BMI of 20. That's a healthy weight, no? Why are you seeking to lose weight? Maybe just need to tone up with exercise?
  • mochiminty
    Options
    Your stats puts you at a BMI of 20. That's a healthy weight, no? Why are you seeking to lose weight? Maybe just need to tone up with exercise?

thanks! I'll find ways to toning up :)
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Your best bet for figuring body fat % (without doing a hydro test) is getting a pair of skinfold calipers and taking measurements. There are hundreds of calculators online that will give you an estimate. There are also calculators for tape measurements as well.

Read on here about BMR and TDEE, eat more than BMR and the same or slightly less than TDEE, and focus on a good weight training routine which will help firm things up. It will take some time so don't get impatient. Stick with it and you'll see what you want to see.
  • mochiminty
    Options
    Your best bet for figuring body fat % (without doing a hydro test) is getting a pair of skinfold calipers and taking measurements. There are hundreds of calculators online that will give you an estimate. There are also calculators for tape measurements as well.

Read on here about BMR and TDEE, eat more than BMR and the same or slightly less than TDEE, and focus on a good weight training routine which will help firm things up. It will take some time so don't get impatient. Stick with it and you'll see what you want to see.

thanks!
    May I ask how many calories should I eat on days where I exercise? My BMR is at 1200 and TDEE around 1700 (3 days/week exercise).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eat every day, tdee-20%. that would be 1360. you;'re small, so that seems about right.

now, since your tdee is actually 1700, what that means is that if you are extra hungry one day, and eat like 1600 calories, thats okay, because you still are under your maintenance level.
  • mochiminty
    Options

thanks! very helpful
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Considering you aren't too far from being underweight, I would suggest eating at maintenance or a small deficit like Capt_Apollo suggest and concentrating on weight training. This way you can work for some recomposition changes.
  • mochiminty
    Options
    eat every day, tdee-20%. that would be 1360. you;'re small, so that seems about right.

now, since your tdee is actually 1700, what that means is that if you are extra hungry one day, and eat like 1600 calories, thats okay, because you still are under your maintenance level.

thanks, before I consume less than 1200 but now I will try to reach 1200+ calories everyday.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Start lifting to increase lean muscle mass.
  • mochiminty
    Options
    Considering you aren't too far from being underweight, I would suggest eating at maintenance or a small deficit like Capt_Apollo suggest and concentrating on weight training. This way you can work for some recomposition changes.

thanks! Im new to weight training and never done this before. I'm now looking for some trainings I can do at home...
  • mochiminty
    Options
    Start lifting to increase lean muscle mass.

thanks! Will do :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

this so this

A woman who is 5 ft tall who weights 100 lbs and doesn't weight train will be bigger and softer than that same woman at 110lbs who does weight train.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    A lot of women use the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, but it really requires a gym membership.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

thanks, before I consume less than 1200 but now I will try to reach 1200+ calories everyday.

I would eat no less than 1400 and macros around 30% carbs, 30%fats and 40% protein. But it would probably be best to eat at maintenance and look for recomposition at the least... if not go through a few bulk/cut cycles.