New starter need to lose 60 Ibs

Options
I weighed my self a few days ago and discovered i have a BMI of 30.2, although i knew i was overweight i hadn't realised just how much. I feel slightly overwhelmed with the amount of weight i need to lose, but plan to set smaller more manageable goals, maybe 10Ibs to start with.

I have 3 children and I find it hard to fit regular exercise around the kids and work so I am looking for friends for motivation, encouragement, swapping meal ideas ect.....

Replies

• indethwetrust
    Options
    Hi there! 60 pounds is about what I have lost before joining MFP. It has been an incredibly rewarding journey but it can be tough at times. Is there any particular advice or guidance you need? I'd be more than happy to help in any way that I can. Let me know and good luck!
  • Kellys_Heros
    Options
    Hi Eric, thanks for your reply :)

Do you go to the gym at all?

I'm looking for some advice on gym sessions...I've joined and had an induction but as i'm paying as i go i didn't get a plan. I'm wondering what best machines to go on are and for how long
  • indethwetrust
    Options
    Hi Eric, thanks for your reply :)

Do you go to the gym at all?

I'm looking for some advice on gym sessions...I've joined and had an induction but as i'm paying as i go i didn't get a plan. I'm wondering what best machines to go on are and for how long

It just so happens that my sister is a big wig at the nice gym we have here in town, so I am kind of gym spoiled. I originally just joined to have a warm place to go for a jog in the winter, but I have been doing some weight training as of late. As for machines, machines probably won't really help you lose a significant amount of weight, but they will make you stronger, if that is your thing. If your goal is weight loss, some form of low intensity cardio is probably best, at least that's what works for me. I like walking on the treadmill (a brisk walk at an incline), but you can do a stationary bike if that's more your thing. My gym has a rowing machine that gives a pretty awesome full body workout as well as cardio benefits. If the weather is agreeable where you live, the best thing that you can do is to start simple: just go for a walk. Commit yourself to walking every day, roughly 45 minutes to an hour if you can. If weather is non-agreeable, you can head to the gym and go for a walk on the treadmill. I do a brisk walk (I set the machine at about a 3.5 pace and a little bit of an incline). I do this on an empty stomach as I have started trying intermittent fasting, but this is not for everyone. Try it and see if it works for you. Don't worry so much about what machines do what and start simple, just try and form a habit of getting some form of exercise on a daily basis if you can. With kids and work it can be tough, but getting into a routine that includes some form of exercise is the best thing you can do starting out.
  • marywells1420
    Options
    Hi, I'm on my way to losing too. I've got about 85lbs to go. I've lost 25lbs since November. It's been a hard journey so far but so very worth it. I wish you all the best :)
  • Kellys_Heros
    Options
    Goes to show how much i know (not know) about gyms ha!!!.....by machines i meant things like treadmills, cross trainer, bike ect... so i guess those would be cardio.

I've always felt intimidated by the gym so i really am a new starter, but i intend to go before or after work and make it part of my day to day routine... i'm hoping by going i will get the exercise i need, as left to my own devises at home i'm hopeless!!

Although i'm a bit of a gym-a-phobe I hope to do a 45 mins session 3 times a week.

I was thinking of doing a warm up on the rowing machine for 5 mins and treadmill for 10 (will try 3.5 pace on an incline like you suggested) .... but after that wasn't sure what else to do.... the instructor at my induction said to include weights in each session also... would you recommend this?
  • Kellys_Heros
    Options
    Hi marywells1420,

Thank you for your reply :) Well done on your weight loss so far and good luck with your journey.

All the best x
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello Eve =)

We both had the same BMI when we started... I know the ugly feeling when those BMI calculators tell you that you have obesity.... It´s like somebody is giving you the finger :embarassed:

Since it´s hard for you to work out somewhere I recomment to search for some aerobic videos on youtube. It´s for free and you can do it whenever you want :-) And since there a lot of different videos online you won´t get bored.

I´m working on getting rid of my extra kilos since 1 month now and I can give you the good news that myfitnesspal works! If you like you can add me as a friend and we can continue this journey together. :flowerforyou: