Can you 'make' hips in the gym?

Options

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Thigh gap, bikini bridges and today we have hip dip. Perfection is an illusion.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I like them. They're feminine and quite lovely.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    In the words of Shakira:

And I'm on tonight
    You know my hips don't lie
    And I'm starting to feel it's right
    All the attraction, the tension
    Don't you see baby, this is perfection:smile:
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    DO SOME SQUATS SUCKA
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    There really isn't anything you can do about your frame, but I suppose you could do some work on your abs and glutes and maybe get a slight improvement.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Put my hand upon your hip. When i dip you dip we dip?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Sorry honey, but I think hips are genetic. Other than giving birth or gaining weight, I don't think you can "build hips". You can, however, lose fat, which may make the hips you have more pronounced.

Or, you could learn to love the body you have and work to make it stronger, leaner, faster, rather than trying to change genetics.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You cant build bone... just the muscle surrounding it like you described you have
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why the "hip dip" is dreaded. I've got it and it's rather defined, actually. Doesn't bother me in the least. I have bones and muscles, and I'm content with such. Much better than when it was padded out with all the extra fat I was carrying.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ah man! I was so excited when I started to see my dip, because it meant I had lost enough fat on my hips that it is now visible. Don't you think it is telling that all those thin models/celebrities that were pictured in this thread have it, and that you only did NOT have it when you were heavier? Hip dip is a natural thing for most people at a healthy weight, embrace it!
  • melmckay99
    Options
    Looks like your only option is plastic surgery.

I personally don't mind the look of the dip,..and in fact might even prefer it. To each his own though.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1lz49SpHQ1qeu3jjo1_r1_500.jpg
    What are hip dips and why you should stop caring about them. (Source: http://size10plz.tumblr.com)
    Lately on my dash I’ve been seeing posts about hip dips, and anonymous questions on how to prevent hip dips or how much they hate theirs.
    I just want to let you know that it’s normal. The celebrities or girls in your thinspo tags that you see that don’t have it either are wearing spanx, they’re photo shopped, or you just plain don’t see it.
    I have never met any one that didn’t have one. It’s part of our anatomy, and on some is more noticeable than others. It all depends on your body type, muscle, and fat distribution.
    Most children in north america have heard this song in pre-school and kinder garden, but for most it’s been a while so I thought I’d give you a refresher course.
    With the leg bone connected to the knee bone,
    and the knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
    and the thigh bone connected to the hip bone.
    tumblr_m1m0m8MIkd1qdhsxp.gif

That is exactly what a “hip dip” is. It’s because the femur attaches to the acetabulum which is made up of all three hip bones: the ilium, ischium, and pubis.
    You get a hip dip from being born with a skeleton.
    tumblr_m1m3ns6ssr1qdhsxp.gif
    Those celebrities/thinspo girls that you look up to and think, “oh I wish I didn’t have a hip dip. They are so lucky they don’t have one.” Hate to break it to ya (not really), but they have it too.
    tumblr_m1m3skQOtL1qdhsxp.png
    Hey look it’s Miley cyrus, Beyonce, and Kelly brook. They all have one!
    Oh wait, I have more! All in their unphotoshopped glory! :D
    tumblr_m1m50bCsyu1qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m69yZLcx1qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m50zTNn41qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m521fpCw1qdhsxp.png
    Even ryan gosling has one.
    tumblr_m1m3wu2mIm1qdhsxp.png
    Everyone has one, but sometimes it’s not as noticeable. Men and women have it, but it’s more noticable on women because our hips are generally wider. Like I said earlier it’s really about fat, and muscle distribution. Some women have it more noticeable, some don’t, but it doesn’t mean it’s not there. I know I have it, and I have never met anyone who is like “ew your hip dip is so gross.”
    Remember the picture with Britney spears vs Photoshop? Even she has one.
    tumblr_m1m5eeuA9g1qdhsxp.jpg
    We have to Remember that we live in a world where spanx is readily available to smooth out our lumps and insecurities to common folk and celebrities alike. Along with photoshop to take away “imperfections” on celebrities so we can feel ****ty about ourselves. All while we read magazines or see adverts with conflicting messages like “you’re beautiful” and an advert for make up right or weight loss tips next to it.
    You’re in trouble when you want to stop looking human. Seriously guy and gals, everyone has one as long as you keep your skeleton.

^ This is a wonderful reply. I have this too, but, honestly, I never even thought about it until now.

If you're really worried, work on the hip exercises mentioned earlier. Don't expect miracles though. It's just the way you, and a lot of other women, are built.
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What are hip dips and why you should stop caring about them. (Source: http://size10plz.tumblr.com)
    Lately on my dash I’ve been seeing posts about hip dips, and anonymous questions on how to prevent hip dips or how much they hate theirs.
    I just want to let you know that it’s normal. The celebrities or girls in your thinspo tags that you see that don’t have it either are wearing spanx, they’re photo shopped, or you just plain don’t see it.
    I have never met any one that didn’t have one. It’s part of our anatomy, and on some is more noticeable than others. It all depends on your body type, muscle, and fat distribution.
    Most children in north america have heard this song in pre-school and kinder garden, but for most it’s been a while so I thought I’d give you a refresher course.

That is exactly what a “hip dip” is. It’s because the femur attaches to the acetabulum which is made up of all three hip bones: the ilium, ischium, and pubis.
    Those celebrities/thinspo girls that you look up to and think, “oh I wish I didn’t have a hip dip. They are so lucky they don’t have one.” Hate to break it to ya (not really), but they have it too.
    Everyone has one, but sometimes it’s not as noticeable. Men and women have it, but it’s more noticable on women because our hips are generally wider. Like I said earlier it’s really about fat, and muscle distribution. Some women have it more noticeable, some don’t, but it doesn’t mean it’s not there. I know I have it, and I have never met anyone who is like “ew your hip dip is so gross.”
    We have to Remember that we live in a world where spanx is readily available to smooth out our lumps and insecurities to common folk and celebrities alike. Along with photoshop to take away “imperfections” on celebrities so we can feel ****ty about ourselves. All while we read magazines or see adverts with conflicting messages like “you’re beautiful” and an advert for make up right or weight loss tips next to it.
    You’re in trouble when you want to stop looking human. Seriously guy and gals, everyone has one as long as you keep your skeleton.

Well done! If Beyonce has it I want one too :laugh:
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Can we please solve the world's thigh gap problem before we tackle hip dip!??!!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options

^
    This

I would think the only way to avoid having one would be to gain a lot, and I mean a lot, of fat specifically in your hip region, without gaining any in your belly, but or thighs, but that really isn't possible.

You might make it less noticeable by doing some exercises that target your hips.... but I doubt it would eliminate it.

I think you need to learn to be more accepting of your body, you are likely the only person who thinks that dip is a negative feature.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    lol this is too funny,
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to sound offensive, but I think from your drawing that's more muffin top/love handle than thigh issue!

Losing fat, and doing resistance work focusing on your legs and glutes will help give you a curvier shape :)
    Yeah it's not fat I have that too, and it's all bone there..
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I had hip dip when I was a super fit teenager, and I have it now as a fat adult. It is what it is. As a teen I was self-conscious of it (damn you, photoshop!) but now it's like, meh. It is a normal part of being a human woman :happy:
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    the 'dreaded' part was meant to come off sarcastic! haha but thanks for all the amazing answers. :wink:

I have pretty good legs if I may say so... Only part of me that is 'shapely'. So the dip there doesn't really bother me. I just can't seem to get a smaller waist, I'm pretty straight up and down in the stomach region, so larger hips seemed like the other solution!
    If only you could smoosh fat into the places you wanted.