scales Vs tape measure

Options
rubysparkle
rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
I was bit disappointed today when standing on the scales to find my weight hadn't changed at all this week. I was expecting a 1lb loss. So i decided to take my measurements again and in 2 weeks I have lost 2 inches off my waist, 1 inch off my hips and an inch off my thigh so really i feel quite happy with that. As long as im shrinking slightly that is just as good.

I did wonder though if this is from my new exercise routine and im building muscle and losing fat, at which point will the scales start to shift?

Replies

• kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    it will come. I have lost inches and seen that almost every time before I saw it on the scale. I use my clothing to gage how I'm doing and not get frustrated when I plateau on the scale. I think its Dr Oz that says the tape measure is more important than the scale to judge the over all effect on health improvement anyway. And I want to look smaller and be healthier dispite the number on the scale. Its funny I got away from this line of thinking last week because I was frustrated with a plateau and I put on my old Xring and it fell off, and then a pair of jeans that were tight when I last wore them 2 months ago and they fell right off. And I knew no to worry and then I got on the scale this morning and 3lbs gone...boom it all works out in the end!
  • rubysparkle
    Options
    I have noticed my trousers that I wear for work have got a little bigger (and longer) and I feel like I look better but it hasn't shown on the scales yet.

I think i should just feel happy that i'm feeling healthier, my skin is glowing from exercising and i feel much better in myself. As you say hopefully the scale will catch up soon :)
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The scale only tells you weight. The measurements will give you the body composition of lean muscle mass vs. body fat. There is a way to measure how much lean mass you have.Depending on your age and if you are a woman or a man.

Female and 31 yrs. old and more measure:
    hips plus thigh equals
    subtract calf times 2 and then subtract wrist equal % of body fat
    then to find fat weight use your body weight times the % of body fat and sutract body weight minus fat weight to equal lean body mass.

If you are younger or a male you can email me for the measurements.:flowerforyou:
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs 1.5 times the weight of fat. Muscle also burns more calories than fat.
    Muscle good--Fat bad.
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: (lots of water)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    2 inches off your waist is absolutely marvellous!!! Well done!!!! :flowerforyou:

Scales are the root of all evil :devil: Take no notice of them until they say nice things :wink: How you feel in your clothes and what the tape says is far more accurate that dealing with our daily bodiy water fluctuations! We are between 55% & 70% water, so you can see how easy it is for water to fluctuate :noway:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Two inches off your waist and an inch off your thigh is a big deal! You're doing an awesome job of toning your body all over. Keep up the good work. :smile:
  • rubysparkle
    Options
    Thank you.. im just going to focus on how much better i feel from exercising. i loved being in the gym today :smile:
  • rubysparkle
    Options
    The scale only tells you weight. The measurements will give you the body composition of lean muscle mass vs. body fat. There is a way to measure how much lean mass you have.Depending on your age and if you are a woman or a man.

Female and 31 yrs. old and more measure:
    hips plus thigh equals
    subtract calf times 2 and then subtract wrist equal % of body fat
    then to find fat weight use your body weight times the % of body fat and sutract body weight minus fat weight to equal lean body mass.

If you are younger or a male you can email me for the measurements.:flowerforyou:

thank you i did try this but it equalled my body fat being 28% but i think its far far more than this - it is probably my math calculations :smile:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I was bit disappointed today when standing on the scales to find my weight hadn't changed at all this week. I was expecting a 1lb loss. So i decided to take my measurements again and in 2 weeks I have lost 2 inches off my waist, 1 inch off my hips and an inch off my thigh so really i feel quite happy with that. As long as im shrinking slightly that is just as good.

I did wonder though if this is from my new exercise routine and im building muscle and losing fat, at which point will the scales start to shift?

Two inches off your waist and one inch off your hips? That's terrific progress!!

I had it one week, whereby no loss on the scales and yet my measurements were down, so I was not unhappy with that. Then the next week and thereafter the scales and measurements were decreasing, you may find the same thing.

By the way, you do not appear to be shrinking *slightly* but *a bloody lot*! WTG! :flowerforyou:
  • rubysparkle
    Options
    thanks, those of you who said they had previously seen the measurements change before the scales - this is what has happened to me this week.

I noticed the inches lost and it took a few days for the scale to catch up. I have lost 2lbs this week and I'm so happy that my hard work is now showing on the scales... :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!