Slow cooker...

Options
Miss_james1990
Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
Has anyone got any really low cal recipes for the slow cooker?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    google "low cal slow cooker" yielded 335,000 results.........
  • kelseyjsnyder
    kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i have one but its probably killer on sodium
    take a beef eye of roast
    put in crockpot
    cover with pickle juice
    (feel free to put a pickle or two in there i find them DELICIOUS when they soak the meat flavor up)
    cook on low till meat is correct temp or falls apart (better to let it fall apart)
    MMMMMMMMM
    Dont know exact calories or anything but mmmmmmmm its amazing my momma always made it growing up
  • TeishaMitchell
    TeishaMitchell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My favorite. I lb of chicken. 1 can of diced tomatoes. 1 can black beans. 1 can of corn. And a package of fajita seasoning. Throw it all together and let cook until chicken kinda falls apart.

I usually throw this together on low before work. I has cooked as long as 10 hours untouched on low and no problems. You can always tweek it. I add jalapino and salsa. If u don't have seasoning packets. Chili powder and paprika work. Very very good. And you can throw on rice or in tortillas. Even top a salad with it.
  • TeishaMitchell
    TeishaMitchell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Another one my husband loves. Boneless lean pork chop. Top with chicken and rice soup and sliced potatoes and carrots. I also throw this together before work and it's done when I get home. So I'm not exactly sure how long it takes. But low for 6 to 8 hours at least.
  • scorpiana89
    scorpiana89 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    google "low cal slow cooker" yielded 335,000 results.........

Yeah...filled with slide shows and complicated recipes one has to much through. Who feels like going through 335,000 results? Perhaps she was looking for a more "personal" recommendation.

When I am off work I like to throw these ingredients in the crock pot early morning, then go back to bed for a yummy treat later, which you can improvise also:

1 can beans (I prefer kidney but black works)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1/3 to 1/2 of canned corn
    Optional shredded chicken, ground chicken or ground turkey
    Handful of cilantro
    Spices such as chili powder, cumin, Sazon (in orange box in Hispanic aisle - transforms food!), pepper, dried herbs, ect. Whatever flavors you like.
    Enough chicken broth or water to come just about level with all other ingredients.

I like to think of as an Al Fresco chili/warm salsa lol. Serve with thin slices avocado, small dollop of sour cream, light sprinkling of cheese, ect.
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies!! Will be giving them ago next week :happy: scorpiana you got it in one! Google annoys the hell out of me with slide shows and things like that . I'm only just starting out and honestly don't have a clue what I am looking at anyway that is why I'd prefer suggestions on here :blushing:
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes! My in laws got me a really nice digital crockpot so I've been searching for recipes.

OP - there are a lot of recipes on this website as well (I searched for "slow cooker" and went through some of the results).
  • detectiveme
    Options
    Slow cookers are the best! U can budget a whole months amount of food, cook it all in one day, freeze it and then just slow cook it the day u want it for dinner. Its really healthy and saves a ton of dough!
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just got a pressure cooker and wow! Same results as a slow cooker in minutes!
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    OP, there's a search function on this site, so you can look for other topics. Also, it helps other posters if you tell them if you're looking to feed 2 people, or 6, or if you don't eat pork so they don't waste their time trying to be helpful. It's frustrating when people come and ask the same question that has been posted hundreds of times before.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/864332-crock-pot-slow-cooker-recipes?hl=slow+cooker,+recipe

That should point you in the direction of a bunch of recipes.
  • Trisha_Williams
    Trisha_Williams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Ok I admit I don't think this is quite as good as regular Shepherd's Pie but it's super good still.

3 cups mashed potatoes
    1lb ground turkey
    2 cloves garlic
    2 cups frozen veggies (your choice)
    1 med onion, chopped or 1 T onion flakes
    1/2 tsp seasoned salt
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/3 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1 cup water
    2 cups low fat shredded cheese

Brown meat & onion with garlic and spices, drain

Add meat, veggies & water to crock pot. Put cheese on top. Press mashed potatoes down on top. Cover & cook on low 6 hours or high 3 hours then remove lid & cook on high 30 minutes.
  • pinkiemarie252
    Options
    OP, there's a search function on this site, so you can look for other topics. Also, it helps other posters if you tell them if you're looking to feed 2 people, or 6, or if you don't eat pork so they don't waste their time trying to be helpful. It's frustrating when people come and ask the same question that has been posted hundreds of times before.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/864332-crock-pot-slow-cooker-recipes?hl=slow+cooker,+recipe

Then don't answer? The search function is spotty at best on this site--it directs you to the same threads over and over and over and over again...
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options

Then don't answer? The search function is spotty at best on this site--it directs you to the same threads over and over and over and over again...
    I was offering advice to the newbie that she might be unaware of, and that particular thread is 19 pages, which I went out of my way to find for her. And the frustrating comment was referring to why she got a snarky google response earlier. Do you see the difference? I took the time to try to help. Why don't you save your response for the people who aren't trying to be helpful.
  • pinkiemarie252
    Options

I was offering advice to the newbie that she might be unaware of, and that particular thread is 19 pages, which I went out of my way to find for her. And the frustrating comment was referring to why she got a snarky google response earlier. Do you see the difference? I took the time to try to help. Why don't you save your response for the people who are actually trying to be jerks.

I did :)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite low-calorie, high-fiber & protein meal:

VEGETARIAN CHILI

1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans (or 1 can, drained & rinsed)
    1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans (or 1 can, drained & rinsed)
    1 can Dakota Pride Mild Chili Beans (my secret weapon-only thing I buy at Aldi’s)
    1 onion, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    2 ½ cups water
    1 tblsp chix bullion powder
    1 tblsp chili powder
    1 tblsp garlic salt
    1 tblsp cumin

Takes about 4 to 6 hours for everything to meld together on low.

Makes about 8 (1-cup) servings:

Calories: 165
    Carbs: 31
    Protein: 9
    Fat: 1
    Sodium: 352
    Fiber: 9
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    And pay no attention to the snide people telling you to do internet searches. People like me LOVE sharing our favorite recipes with you, so ask away!
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love my slow cooker! The thing I love about them most is that there's no recipe needed as such. I usually just lash in everything and cook for 3+ hours on high. I also do meats like whole chicken or joint of ham, they come out so succulent.

Stews are lovely from a slow cooker:

450g diced steak
    2 carrots
    (optional potatoes)
    mushrooms
    1 onion
    1 knorr beef stockpot
    Tin of tomatoes
    Other veg you have like parsnip, turnip etc.

Lash it all in, and cook for 3 hours on high, or 6+ hours on low.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I was offering advice to the newbie that she might be unaware of, and that particular thread is 19 pages, which I went out of my way to find for her. And the frustrating comment was referring to why she got a snarky google response earlier. Do you see the difference? I took the time to try to help. Why don't you save your response for the people who are actually trying to be jerks.

Seeking out a 19 page thread with dozens of recipes for the op vs your singular recipe. If I were to compare I'd say kitten was far more helpful, actually. Dozens vs one. I mean...you can count right? You know a few dozen is more than 1?

Your ability to count aside, I found the link helpful. Hopefully the OP isn't too cranky at being told to use the search function to click on it and utilize that thread, which has nearly 500 posts in it.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Well ain't you a peach.