Body fat %. Am I 'skinny-fat'?

Options
My body fat % on my new weigh scale tells me that I'm obese at 32.9%. I was astounded at that! My Naturopath uses a weigh scale that has a handheld component so it's doing a full body scan compared to my home scale which is scanning my lower body only, and my fat % on her scale is 20%. Does this mean my lower body is full of fat? I am pretty lean up top with lots of cellulite on my legs. I have a hard time retaining muscle. I work out 4x a week. It might be my diet and maybe I'm not getting enough protein (?) any advice advice on this situation. I am 5'10", 139 lbs, small boned.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Scales are not accurate at all when it comes to body fat %.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Any neither are handheld devices.

OP, the group Eat Train Progress at one time had a thread where you would post pics of yourself and Sara and SideSteel would visually figure out your BF%. They're pretty darn close. So I'd check out the group and post your pics if you're that curious.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

Yeah, I would take both those numbers with a very large grain of salt. You're not obese at 5'10" and 139lbs. Find someone, like a trainer at a gym, to measure you with calipers if you're concerned. Either way, it sounds like you could benefit from a well-planned strength training program and diet re-evaluation.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options

Agree with this. Plus a photo would be nice that's a easy way tell if someone is skinny fat.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This.

I'm 5'7 and 134 lbs. No measure chart chategorizes me as overweight or obese but my bf% is 29.9. I'm trying to lower it with weight training, loosing a few pounds more and cutting some fat from my diet. It's not just diet and exercise - our bodies are determined with genes as well. So far scientists have no solution yet.
  • MPHW
    MPHW Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply harphy. Looks like you are trying to do the same thing I'm trying to do. I'm at a good weight on the scale but I want to gain muscle because my body fat % is too high. I've been told that I should increase my protein and spread the protein intake throughout the day. Also, to cut out 'bad' fats and eat more good fats. I work out at the gym and am gradually increasing the weights that I'm using. Are you doing anything specific food-wise to decrease your fat %?
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Any neither are handheld devices.

OP, the group Eat Train Progress at one time had a thread where you would post pics of yourself and Sara and SideSteel would visually figure out your BF%. They're pretty darn close. So I'd check out the group and post your pics if you're that curious.
    They still do, they did mine for me last week :)