starting the 2lbs a week loss

Options
i was doing 1.5 before and i figure, i can cut that very easily, so i'm trying this, anyone have any tips? than i bought a nutrition book from men's health ("Big Book of Food and Nutrition") very helpful, i need food that tastes good and fills you up but not the 1,000 calorie cheesesteaks i used to eat. i got breakfast under control with omelletes and oatmeal, anyone have any suggestions for snacks? i think i could overdo it quick with cheese sticks. any good ideas for lunch? thanks

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you are a 24 year old male with about 20lbs to lose???? and you want to do that in 10 weeks????

Yah no...

try 1/2lb a week, it may take longer but you will be healthier and happier for it.
  • tat20
    tat20 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies! Low calorie and fills you up! I really like to eat mine with Roasted Garlic Hummus. mmmm =)
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    you are a 24 year old male with about 20lbs to lose???? and you want to do that in 10 weeks????

Yah no...

try 1/2lb a week, it may take longer but you will be healthier and happier for it.
    i was doing 1.5 lb a week and it was fine, anything less is boring and takes too long tbh. pretty sure i didn't say anything about doing it in 10 weeks either since i never lost 10lbs in a month anyways but its cool to just be negative online
  • beckyboo696
    Options
    I was losing about 4lb a week doing the lunchbox diet
  • goku89
    Options
    Lots of veggies! Low calorie and fills you up! I really like to eat mine with Roasted Garlic Hummus. mmmm =)
    sounds not so great but i was looking into how to make decent salads that don't taste bad as long as i can add meat of some kind, anything salads never taste good
  • tat20
    tat20 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is probably going to be chicken breast or tuna. Just make sure not to over do it on the dressing, that's what gets ya every time!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out the 'Food' forum, and the 'Search' tool.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Yah no...

Yeah...all you're going to accomplish here is destroying your muscle mass.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Yah no...

i was doing 1.5 lb a week and it was fine, anything less is boring and takes too long tbh. pretty sure i didn't say anything about doing it in 10 weeks either since i never lost 10lbs in a month anyways but its cool to just be negative online

If losing 2 lbs every week over the course of your entire weight loss was realistic, don't you think we would all be doing that? The recommended amount per week loss is there for a reason, because the slower weight loss and gradual reintroduction of calories gives you more success in maintenance. You could bump it up to 2 lbs so it won't be boring and take so long, but chances are when you've hit your goal and enter maintenance, you're going to end up gaining some if not all of it back.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Yah no...

Yeah...all you're going to accomplish here is destroying your muscle mass.

^^^This

and
    If losing 2 lbs every week over the course of your entire weight loss was realistic, don't you think we would all be doing that? The recommended amount per week loss is there for a reason, because the slower weight loss and gradual reintroduction of calories gives you more success in maintenance. You could bump it up to 2 lbs so it won't be boring and take so long, but chances are when you've hit your goal and enter maintenance, you're going to end up gaining some if not all of it back.

^^^This

Again OP doesn't hear what they want and construes as negativity.

Oh, and math.... Yes, you didn't say anything about losing it in 10 weeks, but you're ~20lbs from your goal, want to lose 2lbs per week (which isn't a lot to lose, so 2lbs a week is pretty aggressive), which equates to ~10 weeks.
  • goku89
    Options
    im not trying to destroy my muscle mass i'd like to keep it, at all possible, but that option for 2lbs a week is there, whether it works the whole time is up to me right. i didn't meant to make it seem like i'm in a hurry im not about to enter the military or anything, but from what i was reading it sounds like it works, even though i personally don't expect to lose that much weight that quickly. if that was true, i would of been closer to my goal by now, but i wasn't because i was still figuring out nutrition, fitness, and trying gluten free on work days. i've been learning a lot so i don't really expect a magic whistle to do this for me im still figuring things out.
  • goku89
    Options

Yah no...

because i bumped it up to 2lbs maintanence would be harder? i see what your saying, but wouldn't my maintenance change with my weight? and if that is true, i should probably change it back to 1.5 lbs
  • Chriztii
    Options
    I think what everyone is trying to say is setting yourself up for such a hard goal is basically setting yourself up to fail. You might lose weight really fast but the chances of you keeping that weight off is basically none.

You need to change your bad habits to keep the weight off and the only thing that gets rid of bad habits is TIME.

I have lost 1kg a week before by eating very small amounts and guess what it lasted all about 2 months before i put the weight back on. That is why this time i have upped the calories and going to exercise properly/slowly. And getting help motivation from the members on here :).
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Aiming to lose 2 lbs a week is pretty much always considered healthy, except if you're here and within say 40 lbs. of your goal. I've never seen a diet forum so obsessed with slow losses and trying to maintain lean body mass. There is evidence that losing 1 lb/week preserves significantly more LBM than 2 (that's losing, not 'aiming') but there is also a lot of evidence that people who lose weight at a steeper deficit have a much better rate of maintenance, in 5 years.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    im not trying to destroy my muscle mass i'd like to keep it, at all possible, but that option for 2lbs a week is there, whether it works the whole time is up to me right. i didn't meant to make it seem like i'm in a hurry im not about to enter the military or anything, but from what i was reading it sounds like it works, even though i personally don't expect to lose that much weight that quickly. if that was true, i would of been closer to my goal by now, but i wasn't because i was still figuring out nutrition, fitness, and trying gluten free on work days. i've been learning a lot so i don't really expect a magic whistle to do this for me im still figuring things out.

No, it's not up to you whether or not it works. There are piles of threads here from people who have been losing steadily at a certain loss per week, but then have stalled out for weeks and don't understand why they aren't losing anymore when they are doing everything exactly the same. You hit plateaus during weight loss, which is why when you get to certain points as you approach your goal it's recommended to change your goals to continue losing weight. And you will be losing muscle mass if you continue that aggressively with your calorie deficit within 20 lbs of your goal, which will just make you a somewhat smaller but still jiggly version of yourself. RGv2 and cwolfman aren't trying to be rude, they are trying to help you out and keep you from making mistakes that will make your journey even longer and more difficult than it needs to be to achieve the body you want.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    but that option for 2lbs a week is there
    True, it is there for all of us, not just those with more than X lbs. to lose, because it's generally considered a safe max goal, just like 1200 is there because it's generally considered a safe minimum intake.
  • goku89
    Options

No, it's not up to you whether or not it works. There are piles of threads here from people who have been losing steadily at a certain loss per week, but then have stalled out for weeks and don't understand why they aren't losing anymore when they are doing everything exactly the same. You hit plateaus during weight loss, which is why when you get to certain points as you approach your goal it's recommended to change your goals to continue losing weight. And you will be losing muscle mass if you continue that aggressively with your calorie deficit within 20 lbs of your goal, which will just make you a somewhat smaller but still jiggly version of yourself. RGv2 and cwolfman aren't trying to be rude, they are trying to help you out and keep you from making mistakes that will make your journey even longer and more difficult than it needs to be to achieve the body you want.
    it took me a couple weeks to just lose 2lbs and im not sure why...
    so because im near my goal i should slow down or else it'll mess me up?
  • goku89
    Options
    Aiming to lose 2 lbs a week is pretty much always considered healthy, except if you're here and within say 40 lbs. of your goal. I've never seen a diet forum so obsessed with slow losses and trying to maintain lean body mass. There is evidence that losing 1 lb/week preserves significantly more LBM than 2 (that's losing, not 'aiming') but there is also a lot of evidence that people who lose weight at a steeper deficit have a much better rate of maintenance, in 5 years.
    OH i see what you mean. yeah i get it now, thats where i was about a year ago when it was safe to drop 2lbs a week, i didn't know what you mean....and i don't want stretch marks.
  • goku89
    Options
    in 5 years?
  • goku89
    Options
    thanks for the advice and warning i'm going to change my goal back to 1.5, maybe 1 lb, i don't want to end up deformed.

hopefully...it works out. this stuff is still very new to me. glad to have this site