Some ???

Shannonk507
Shannonk507 Posts: 252 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
1. What are recommended proportions for fat, protein, and carb? I have heard 30,40, 30 as one -- but I always seem to be over on carbs and under on protein with that.

2. What does "bump" mean? Is it like, props/good job? Or is there a way to bump messages/posts to the top of your topics that are more important to you?

Thanks!

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    My ratio is 30 fat, 65 carbs, & 15 protein b/c I have seven kidney stones and need to reduce protein and sodium. I have also read that people on average do not need more than a ratio of 15 b/c the body can only process so much at a time and the rest is excreted as waste, which is hard on your kidneys.

Bump is how people move topics up in the feed.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    The current recommendations from the Institute of Medicine based on numerous studies of what works for the majority of people are a range of 45-65% carbs, 10-35% protein, and 20-35% fat. According to the research, those zones work for 98% of the population. Some of us, however, are in that 2% that they don't work for and have to adjust outside those zones. Personally, I need more carbs so I'm at 70% carbs, 15% protein, and 15% fat. This is the recommendation based on my family history of breast cancer (limit fat to 15%) and because I'm going to be a kidney donor (limit protein to 15%) and because I do a lot of endurance exercise (high carb) and sure enough it works like a charm for me. Other people have blood sugar issues and have to limit carbs, so my plan would kill them. You have to play around with the zones based on your specific needs.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    For #1 check out what the Mayo Clinic has to say:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200
This discussion has been closed.