Some ???

Shannonk507
Shannonk507 Posts: 252 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
1. What are recommended proportions for fat, protein, and carb? I have heard 30,40, 30 as one -- but I always seem to be over on carbs and under on protein with that.

2. What does "bump" mean? Is it like, props/good job? Or is there a way to bump messages/posts to the top of your topics that are more important to you?

Thanks!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Bump just moves the post to the top of the board
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I've got mine set at fat 30% carbs 35% protein 35% I read somewhere that was a good balance for weight loss, but I'm sure there are differing opinions.

As long as you are cutting back on carbs and eating more protein, you won't feel as hungry and wont hang on to unused carb energy. That's the main thing.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    I don't get how saying bump does anything.. unless someone sees it. But I guess I don't know much about forums. hah
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    bump also puts the topic in your "My Topics" so you can go back to it later and follow up
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    The current recommendations from the Institute of Medicine based on numerous studies of what works for the majority of people are a range of 45-65% carbs, 10-35% protein, and 20-35% fat. According to the research, those zones work for 98% of the population. Some of us, however, are in that 2% that they don't work for and have to adjust outside those zones. Personally, I need more carbs so I'm at 70% carbs, 15% protein, and 15% fat. This is the recommendation based on my family history of breast cancer (limit fat to 15%) and because I'm going to be a kidney donor (limit protein to 15%) and because I do a lot of endurance exercise (high carb) and sure enough it works like a charm for me. Other people have blood sugar issues and have to limit carbs, so my plan would kill them. You have to play around with the zones based on your specific needs.

Putting Bump in a post just shows that the thread has been posted to recently so that it moves up in the list of topics so that more people will see it. Some people want to mark threads that they want to read later but don't have anything to add to the conversation, so they will post Bump to add it to their topics or move it up in the list so it doesn't get pushed back to the next page.
  • Shannonk507
    Shannonk507 Posts: 252 Member
    Thanks everyone -- most helpful!
  • I may be late answering but regarding the macronutrient split - I lean heavily toward protein.

I am currently reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuyler. It is all about how women often waste their time in the gym, either doing endless cardio or lifting too light weights too many times.

I am having success losing body fat percentage (1.5 % in 5 weeks) by following the book's recommendations - short, serious workouts 2-3 times a week.

I try to eat my body weight in grams of protein daily (which would be about 30% but have my goals set to 40%) and have my carbs set to 25% (but often go a little over).

FYI
This discussion has been closed.