Its cold!!!!!

Options
I am really craving munchies and I am not motivated to work out. Here in Chicago it is 18 degrees and snowing. To those who are living in colder states, what do you do to stay motivated? What gets You up to go dig the car out of the snow and then make a very cautious 10 MPH drive on snow covered streets to the gym. Man, this weather has got me down. Shoveling snow is a great workout but its literally freezing outside!!!!

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Cold burns a huge amount of calories. When I work in the cold I am STARVING!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been eating less and sitting in front of the fire. I HAVE been walking. Cover your mouth so you breath moist air. Cover all skin. Walk fast!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am going out now. I am also going to strap on a HRM just to see how many calories I can burn. If it goes well I will do my neighbors home too!!!!!
  • ngiosta
    ngiosta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is cold! I'm also in IL-- I just saw online that the Governor of MN ordered all public schools in that state remain closed tomorrow! http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/school-closings/

So glad we have a treadmill!

Stay warm!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I have zero excuse not to, unless I'm sick.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I resort to putting a workout DVD in the player, or a find a workout on YouTube. It's blowing like crazy here in Kansas, not as much snow, but it's freaking cold out.
  • Iskreemman
    Iskreemman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's 1 degree here in Omaha with a -22 wind chill. I'll be staying inside and doing a workout DVD today then a warm cup of tea :smile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I just don't go... Not the best option but my option LOL
  • cbeanies
    Options
    I hear you!! I hate winter and I hate cold weather. Actually, I can kind of deal with exercising in the cold, and i was going to go out today, but it just started icing and sleeting! How do you go out in ice? I have to come up with an alternative so I can do something inside during these next two months. Either a work out video, I keep hearing about 30 day shred, or maybe a stationary bike. Or maybe swimming indoors at our local recreation center. Still can't get to that in the ice though. I hate how bad weather messes up all your plans.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I wear 4-5 layers and cover everything. I have a horse so I have no choice but to go out, it sucks. I'm in Oh, wind chill will be -40 tomorrow and Tuesday but I haven't heard about IL or MN. Good luck to all.
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel I woke up to 10 below 0. My treadmill has been saving me & we bought a ice fishing shack to help get out in the fresh air. Keep moving we are one day closer to spring.
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    I live in MN, and have always enjoyed winter! What motivates me to shovel snow or plow the driveway? Well, I can't get out if I don't! ;)

Summer is actually hardest for me. I enjoy snowshoeing and cross country skiing, and can't stand hot days. If the wind chill is too cold to safely do outdoor activities...oh wait, it never is!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've grown up with it and am used to it.... I played in a pond hockey tournament for 7 hours on Saturday. By the time we got to our last game it was below zero.

BTW, how much snow did you get to have to drive 10MPH, like 3 feet?
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in this climate so I'm used to it. I wear a lot of layers/longjohns and be prepared. I ice skate outdoors several times per week and love it. Bring on the snow! I workout at home so the weather doesn't make a difference for me. :)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm in New Hampshire, and I put on my hiking boots, little stretchy crampons if needed, and I go outside for a walk.

Up to 6 months ago, I lived in CA for several years. So it's not some kind of native cold resistance. A few days ago, walking became snowshoeing in -18. Today it is 19, and I'll be taking my substantial bulk for another walk.

Layers. And just do it.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    When it's this cold, I either work out indoors or I bundle up like crazy and go for a walk.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Sorry, which temperature classification are you using, I'm in the UK. 18c would be bliss. I expect it is 18f a world of difference. Its very, very, very, wet outside here. Many on the west coast of Europe are in floods and its horrid. I don't fancy the rain we have had in the last three weeks falling as snow instead though. I vote for hibernation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... I would totally have a walk in this weather but with the snow and ice all over, it's not happening. So it has to be the gym, but motivation is lacking today (and driving on ice to get there doesn't sound that fun either).

Can't wait for Spring.

PP - it's about -6c. Here we've been having -18 to -5.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Same here! Tomorrow's high temp will be -11F..........California dreaming!!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If it's above zero I run outside. If not then exercise DVD usually.
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm in SD. It's -6 with a windchill of -31 and supposed to drop as low as -50 tonight. Schools have already been cancelled for tomorrow. Risking hypothermia being out there. DVD workouts are great for days like this. You can also get some off of YouTube.