How do you stay motivated???

Options
I have gone back and forth within a 10lb range for the past 3 months. I start to loose then I slack off and gain it all back. I am frustrated and don't like myself after this but I still do it! I have been riding horses most of my life but had take a bout a 10 year hiatus from showing. Last weekend I had my first horse show and it was apparent how weak I've become. My New Years resolution is to be stronger and healthier for my sport. I just don't want to slack off again! How do you stay motivated?

Replies

• Chriztii
    Options
    I'm probably the worse person to answer this question as i tend to fall back into my bad eating habits quite often but this time i plan to stay motivated by becoming an active member on this forum! I think constantly reading and viewing success stories, motivational posts, fitness and food idea's will help.

As for when I'm out and food temptation is at it's worst, the best thing to do is just avoid looking at it, for example i never go into the confectionery isle at coles anymore because there is nothing in there for me to buy. Out of sight, out of mind.
  • MARTIC0058
    MARTIC0058 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same situation over the past few months with the holidays. I have committed to making 2014 the best for my health! And I want to help others as well. I have a fb team that helps me the most, I have challenges every month and I benefit a lot from those. Would love to have you be apart of it. I will send you a friend request and support you here as well but more active on fb. Be strong and tell your mind that you want it and you will succeed!
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    People ask me this question alot-- because the journey has been quick long (and successful) for me.

At first to motivate myself I used external things- ipod, tattoo, new clothes, outings, massages

And then at one point, i realized by making all of these changes, I am happier, healthier, more active, enjoying more things and so it became less about externally motivating myself and more about the feeling I got.

Now I challenge myself-- take a certain class at the gym that I have struggled with, go kayaking for the first time, and now run a half marathon. I just set goals for myself (not resolutions) and then work towards them =)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    just do it
    no ifs ands or butts.
    get it done.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I've come so far. It has taken so long to get near to the bottom of many health problems and I can't do other than keep going, a day at a time. I want to be the person I should have been from the age of 21, and would have been, if everything, that became known over time to influence how your body may work, was not kept secret or referred to as not being of interest or not part of your situation by health professionals, who banged on calories in calories out and portion size. For me it is about much, so much more. Knowledge is power, in the wrong hands it is harmful. It was my health, my life, I believe I or anyone have the right to be given up to date health and weight loss information.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's ultimately going to have to be about more than the number on the scale...at least for most people, that number is ultimately a piss poor motivator. Yes, it is difficult to get passed that as we tend to be scale obsessed...but when the bigger picture starts to come into focus, you realize that number isn't truly what is important...you realize that you're good livin' is all about your health and fitness and that health and fitness are lifetime endeavors.

You do what you do because you feel awesome for it and it is benefiting your health and longevity. For me now, asking me how I stay motivated to go the gym is like asking me how I stay motivated to shower in the morning. 18 month ago I couldn't imagine doing anything more than walking around the block a couple times per week...now I can't imagine not getting in regular exercise. 18 months ago I couldn't imagine life without 2 packs of smokes (or more) per day...now I wonder how I could have ever possibly smoked that much (haven't had a puff since Sept 25, 2012). A year ago I signed up for the gym wondering if I'd stick it out...I was already doing some running, etc but wanted to try lifting weight...now I wonder why I wasn't lifting my whole life.
  • gvtyagi
    Options
    Please read my thoughts on Motivation at

http://gauravtyagiblogs.blogspot.com/2012_05_01_archive.html
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    judging by your picture, you've done a race before. wouldn't you like to start getting better and faster?

i know i do. thats what keeps me motivated.