I hate Winter

Options
13»

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Don't understand why you can't get to the gym? Excuses! excuses!

Uhm...where do you live? NOBODY is stupid enough to drive to the gym in the middle of a snowfall/ice rain warning....Or would you do it, and make the emergency services peoples job even more difficult - just so you "don't use an excuse?":noway:

You don't ever drive in the snow?

Not if there is a blizzard going on or people are asked to stay off the roads during and after an ice storm - if I have to yes, but going to the gym is not worth putting one's life and that of others in danger now, is it?
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    Feeling your pain!!! I hate COLD. Anything below 30 I won't run. And I only run outside. Spring better hurry up!!!!
  • cmcis
    cmcis Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I also live where everything is covered in ice and snow and miserably cold. While I agree that it's more of a challenge to get out and walk in the winter, it is not impossible.....get a pair of Yaktrax traction cleats for your boots (or shoes). I also have to dress in layers so I can adjust as I heat up or cool down. I have yet to find a pair of gloves that keep my hands warm, but years ago I knit a pair of extra thick wool mittens that work well in this sub-zero weather we're having. Anyway, I appreciate a good rant and the way it sometimes even breaks through the barrier that is keeping one stuck! :wink:

^^
    This. A great way to keep exercising and enjoy the winter. I also enjoy snowshoeing which adds a little adventure, walking along trails or even breaking trail.
  • cmcis
    cmcis Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The past few days it has been at least -37 C with wind chills up to -50C. That said, I have a dog that does not understand that it is killer out there. He wants out no matter what. So, on goes the sweater, hoodie , balaclava, scarf, hat, wool coat, Sorel boots, and two pair of gloves. Out we go, me looking like a yeti and him prancing around in his natural heavy winter coat. He refuses booties and sweaters.
    Every day, twice a day, lol. I simply cannot get out of it. After this, he takes a nap and I workout.

I am a runner so, after this tribulation, I hit the treadmill either at home or at the gym. I also try to do some lifting at home once or twice a week.
    For ice, there are metal cleats you can attach to your boots. Having a dog has taught me there are no days off !

Wow! That is cold!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Quit complaining.

http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/yaktrax_pro_shoe_treads.htm

yaktrax-pro-lg.jpg

Problem solved. Get a pair, put them on your shoes, quit complaining and go walking!

Complaining never burns any calories.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I just loveeee the winter! I am absolutely no summer person, way too hot! I love 'plowing' through the snow, I love the scenery, I love the moonlight twinkling in the snow like zillions of glitters, I love the aurora boralis like colored mist dancing above the stars. Good thing I live in the Arctics :smile:
    I LOVE Winter! I love the snow, I love ice skating! I hate summer and the heat. Good thing I live in the mountains in Colorado.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I feel your pains. Im from buffalo * sob*
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping this. I ordered some Yaktrax, but I'm still hoping I won't get to try them this year, lol!

Today was great, it's 60 out, it was raining and I got soaked, but I don't care!