20 year old female looking to drop 100+ pounds

Options
Or maybe only 90, or maybe 130. I have no clue.

Anyway, like I stated I'm a 20 year old female, 5'6", roughly about 260 pounds. I have no "goal weight" as I have no idea what weight would look good on me. So as of now I'm just saying about 100 pounds and will determine the goal when I get there (or at least a lot closer)!

I would like to add people of similar age with a similar weight loss goal (about 100) but seeing as that is pretty limited I am flexible. =)

You probably won't see me post much for awhile as I've tried this weight loss idea MANYYYY times in my life, way before I hit my newest high, but always took it on too fast. I hated doing it, I couldn't maintain it, and I gave up. Only to lose whatever progress I made and more.

So this time around I'm not tracking my foods (yet at least - as that is the part I hate the most). I'm just simply monitoring what and how much I eat in my head, not worrying about the calories, as to not make myself utterly miserable again. Right now, I'm just focusing on getting into a habit of working out.

I went for the first time on Friday and stayed for about an hour. I'm thinking about trying to start working out every other day for about an hour to begin with. Once that becomes habit I'll add on more, bit by bit, instead of diving right in and becoming overwhelmed like I've done too many times in the past.

(BTW that same night and into the next morning my upper thighs/hips were rather sore, but after a lot of non-forced popping I felt a LOT better. I didn't pop at all during the workout, just the next day. Is that normal?)

So yeah, add me! I'd love to see people who have already accomplished their big goals (or are well on their way to accomplishing it) as well because seeing success stories make me feel like one day I could have my own. Thanks! <3

Replies

• Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend! Although I am much older than you (47), I was your age once, LOL! I too have 100+ or so to lose. Several years ago I lost 74 lbs. The only exercise I got was walking. I started out walking slow, gradually building on endurance and speed. I'd mix my speed up. I'd walk as fast as I could for a certain amount of area or time then slow enough to catch my breath and then do it over and over again. Sometimes if i felt froggy I'd even jog or sprint a little. I'm not much on jogging though. i could never learn to breathe correctly while jogging. I didn't have excess to gym or equipment so I made up my own little regimen while listening to music. I'd run in place, walk up and down steps, standing push-ups against the wall, calestenics, anything that got me moving. As far as food: I cut out greasy fried foods, gave up soda (except on special occasions), starting drinking water, cut back on portions...basically following the Food Pyramid you are taught in Elementary School (if they still do that anymore, LOL). It didn't come off fast, and I didn't expect it too. But over the course of the year it did come off. I basically had to get myself into the mindset that those bad choices weren't available anymore. Then destruction took place. I moved back to where I once lived and the old habits seeked me out. i began eating at fast food places, I allowed fried and greasy foods back into my life, and my addiction for Pepsi kicked my butt. Over the last 5 years I've managed to put almost all of the weight back on. So here I am, one pair of jeans that somewhat feel comfortable (so glad I'm laid off right now or I don't know what I'd wear), feel miserable literally, I know my blood pressure and blood sugar levels are high again (when i lost the weight they were back to normal), and i have a chance at an awesome new career but afraid since I gained the weight and am out of shape that I won't get hired or won't be able to perform as needed. So here I am.....starting new! At this point I'm just keeping track of what I am eating, it may not be the healthiest 1500 calories but its what I have on hand. Being laid off money is extremely tight. i will gradually be adding walking again, I received a treadmill from my cousin so if weather is bad I can walk inside. And I'll slowly be adding aerobic moves and some strength training. keep your chin up...YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • farfromperfectdottv
    Options
    I like how you're taking it all in increments. Starting to make healthy changes in baby-steps is the best way to go! Let me know how I can help you- whether it's nutritional or workout advice :)

I actually blogged today about making healthy changes in steps, check it out, you might find what I have to say helpful:
    http://farfromperfectdottv.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-rise-shine-healthy-eating-challenge.html

Best wishes in your weight-loss journey this time around! It took me several attempts, but I seem to have finally made it. You can too!
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me-- I have been there and would be more than willing to help out. I wish I would have started at your age =)
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm happy to offer assistance where ever possible, it's a long road, we all have start somewhere xXx
  • candacewoodburn
    Options
    You can add me I would add you but I don't know how I'm new on here. I am 200 lbs right now and I would like to be at 125 (I am only 5'2) so I have a way to go. I have joined a gym, a weight loss clinic, and myfitnesspal. I am ready to loose this weight but I was told its easier to do with friends. So if you need someone to talk to, I may not respond right away because Im not sure how to use this yet but I will respond. :happy:
  • DJBootyBean
    DJBootyBean Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm 26 years old with about 100 lbs to lose as well. I'm always happy to have friends on here because I definitely need the support. Everyone can feel free to add me :) my name is Mio_chan
  • HappyWife04
    HappyWife04 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey; I’m 28 and I’m looking to lose about 70+ lbs. I lost 56 lbs almost three years ago and managed to keep them off for over a year; I did mild exercise but completely cut out grease and white carbs. My weight started creeping up slowly; last year; I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and am now back to square one, I created MFP acct a year ago and have logged on maybe 6 times since I easily lose motivation. I’m hoping I can stick to it this year and finally drop the weight once again. We can do it.
  • Sarahrachael82
    Sarahrachael82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm also a female needing to lose 100+ and would love to have more friends!! Anyone feel free to add me at SarahRachael82. I truly feel that it is very much the friends on the site that really help me want to continue logging in and enjoying my everyday tracking. I'm 31, but no one ever believes me so I'll go with... I'm 23. I still look it and feel it, but then I remember and in my thirties and need to get my butt in gear! LOL Really would love more friends and support, So thank you ahead of time!!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight before I started tracking calories. I took advantage of being young and really went hard working out. I found that, as long as I stayed conscious about what I was eating, I was able to lose weight. I knew what I was putting into my body and I avoided mindless eating.

Being 20, you're young and this will be much easier for you than for someone who is 40+.
  • irishmeg86
    Options
    Hello!

I am 27, mom of 2, night-shift working nurse. I am also ready to lose all the baby/bad eating habits weight I have gained. I am currently around 20lbs looking to get down to 135.

Good Luck!
  • bubblewrap91
    bubblewrap91 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've added you =) I'm 22 and looking to lose 100 lbs (ish) ! Could really do with others who are in the same boat :)
  • Losingthelbs34
    Losingthelbs34 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am 24 and I started out at 263 pounds. Now I am 235. I still have 95 pounds to lose but I'm getting there on change at a time. We can do this!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'm 36, started at about 390 lbs, am now 232 lbs. MFP has worked for me.

My Tools:

1.Digital scale
    2. digital food scale
    3. Heart Rate Monitor.

My Rules: (Copied and Pasted from SideSteel's post...he said it succinctly and I thought..."Why re-invent the wheel?")

1. Eat the appropriate caloric (and macronutrient) intake for your goals and track intake accurately. I think eating mostly nutrient dense and whole foods while still allowing some "treats" is a reasonable starting point/guideline.
    2. Exercise regularly. Do something you enjoy or at worst case choose the least objectionable activity. Ideally you should include some form of resistance based training as a part of your program.
    3. Get adequate rest/sleep.
    4. Establish metrics and use them appropriately.
    5. Repeat.

Good luck to you! You can do it!

#goteammfp

If you want to add me, that's cool. If not, and you are interested in some motivational thoughts, you can check out my blog. I'm no blogger...but I do write down some of the ideas that motivate me from time to time: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jzalisa Hopefully you'll find something that helps.

Again, good luck. You CAN do it! :smile:
  • kittychips
    kittychips Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 22 and 5'8. My starting weight was about 262 and right now I'm about 190 (might be less, I haven't weighed myself in about a month). It's been a long road. I started by working out for 45 minutes 5 times a week. Mostly cardio with weight training with machines. I also tracked my calories. I lost my first 55 pounds doing that. Then I started lifting heavy weights with a program called Strong Lifts and HOLY COW! Weight training has made a huge difference. Even though I've only lost about 15-20 pounds with weight training and light cardio, it looks like a lot more! I want to get down to about 170 but at this point I'm measuring my success by the size of my clothing. I also don't track my calories anymore and just try to be mindful of what I'm putting in my body, though I need to step up my game some. I've slipped up a little but I never overeat, which I think is what is helping maintain my current weight. :P Also, I started this journey on Sept 1st.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I too have a 100 weight loss journey to make but I'm 55 so that kind of counts me out on age! :-)
    Here's my twopenneth of wisdom:
    Great job having already lost 20+% of the way!
    Have lots of little goals to achieve. (milestones achieved, weight lost, weight to lose)
    Have a long term plan with goals that are achievable. You didn't gain this over night, you aren't going to lose it overnight either! (I'm aiming for 20-30lb a year)
    Be kind to yourself! if you have a bad day. Hey ho. You had A Bad Day. In the grand scheme of things it won't hurt that much.
    Try to not plan to fail. If what you have always done has resulted in failure... don't do what you did before.
    Good luck.
    (Friend me if you'd like to!)
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    26, 5'7" and I started at 268. I'm now down 30 lbs, half of that in the last month or so.

My diary is open, and most days I'm right around 1200, in addition to an average 4 days of exercise a week.

Feel free to add. :)
  • fatbegone85
    Options
    Hi! I'm 29 with about 90 to lose if I aim for 115lbs. I'm 4'11 so I won't know a 'good' weight until I get there. Feel free to add me (anyone else feel free as well!).
  • Castiel22
    Castiel22 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm 22 and 5'5". I started at 220lbs and looking to drop 90lbs. You or anyone else can add me. I know how hard counting calories is because I struggle with it myself.

I wish you all the best on your journey :)
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 30, but I am also trying to lose 100 lbs and have lost about 25 already.... you can add me if you like im on here like 20 times a day..
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We all fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. It's easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. Take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile