Group Consensus on MFP Calorie Allowance (If there is one)

Options
Hi all:

MFP has set my calorie intake at 1310 per day--not an unworkable number. But my BMR is 1485. Is it the general consensus here that one should set their caloric intake to equal their BMR, (which I understand to be what my body would need to function if I were bedridden and did nothing all day) and not eat back exercise calories as I do with the MFP set amount?

Since I quit smoking a couple of years ago while also hitting my 50s, I've gained 40 pounds and I have yet to find a truly workable jumping off point to lose weight. I did cut out most processed foods and added sugar foods the week before the New Year and tweaked my diet to include more whole foods, which resulted in a 5 pound weight loss before I even began working out on Jan. 1, but I suspect it's much like water weight--due to the sudden deprivation of junk food to my body.

I'd appreciate hearing what's worked for you.

Replies

• mama2redhead
    mama2redhead Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to use the MFP numbers. Just this week, I am starting with BMR and plan on eating back about half of my exercise calories.
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I really don't think that there is a general consensus on this. Personally I found that following the MFP numbers and eating back exercise calories works well for myself. The biggest thing is to make sure that whatever it is that you do, you make changes that you can stick with. Don't deny yourself your favorite foods, even if they are "junk" for instance, or else your brain is going to rebel and you'll wake up surrounded by Little Debbie wrappers and pizza boxes and not remember what happened.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    If you were to not eat back exercise, you'd calculate your TDEE -20%. Your BMR id essentially what MFP tries to do for you. Everything you will find is a guess. You just have to make sure you're logging accurately and consistently and go from there. I've lost 46 lbs cutting nothing from my diet and just staying within my calorie limits and balancing my macronutrients. I've also seen a great reduction in body fat %. This information was what helped me make it sustainable for me

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants 

It really demystified dieting and opened my eyes to how simple this can be when you take away all the fads and advertising there is out there
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    you'll wake up surrounded by Little Debbie wrappers and pizza boxes and not remember what happened.

Have we met?

But seriously for the OP... the path to sexypants link above is priceless.

Does the calorie intake of 1310 per day that MFP set include some amount of deficit?

I might also suggest you check out this thread....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161976-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread

If you were interested, and some of the mentors still have room for 'clients' :wink: Some very experienced MFP's are offering their time to take newbies under their wing. This is FREE assistance from those that have been there, one on one. You can just go through the thread, and find mentors that might be a good fit for you, and PM them, and go from there.

I only mention this, because you appear to be brand new, and are asking a solid, sensible question, which would probably make you a good candidate for some of these mentors.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    TDEE - 20%.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Reposting my previous reply to a similar topic:

"How did you set up your MFP account? You need to pick an accurate activity level. Too many folks pick "sedentary" when they are actually lightly active or even more. Also set your goal to lose no more than 1 pound/week to achieve a sustainable weight loss. Plateaus, inadequate intake & hunger are the biggest cause for people to quit. View this as a lifestyle change, not a diet. You need to find a happy medium between eating too much & dieting, so you can live with it for life! After finding your actually calorie goal, then eat back exercise calories. I'm not sure how you are measuring your exercise calories? If using MFP then most folks find their calories burns high & thus eat back 1/2-2/3 of the actual calorie burn. Other methods of measuring vary in accuracy depending on the device.

If you prefer a more constant daily calorie goal, then you can switch to the TDDE-deficit method. The following I just posted in another thread:

If you let MFP set your calories, then yes, you eat back exercise calories. I decided to use the TDEE method mostly, because I didn't like the constantly changing calorie goal. ... If you want a more constant calorie goal, then I'd switch to the TDEE-deficit method & self-set your calorie & macro goals. For protein, ensure you are getting AT LEAST 1 gram/pound lean body mass--for most women that's 100-125 grams/day. Your fat should be set at 0.4 grams/pound of lean body mass. Carbs are whatever is left. ... meet your calorie goal most every day!!! If after 3-4 weeks, you're not losing then adjust your daily calorie goal by 100 calories & watch for another 3-4 weeks. You may need more calories or less calories, it can be a little trial & error from the TDEE-deficit calculation. If you need to lose >20 pounds, set your deficit at TDEE-20%. If your need to lose 10-20 pounds, then TDEE-10 to 15%, and once you're down to <10 pounds to lose, set your goal to TDEE-5-10%.

Meeting your macros, especially protein, is very important! You want to lose fat not muscle (lean body mass), so protein intake is very important. The more lean body mass you lose, the lower your BMR will be. That's where folks get lost in the "starvation mode" idea. It's not so much borderline/low calories cause "starvation," as it robs you of your lean body mass, and as the lean body mass drops, so does your BMR (i.e. daily basal calorie burn). Resistance training/heavy lifting is also essential for maintaining lean body mass/muscle as well."

Here's a link to Heybales TDEE calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/heybales

"Go to heybales profile page & look for the link to his Excel spreadsheet. It's a few lines down from "About Me." The spreadsheet is great! I've been using it for 8 months now & have lost tons of weight, as has my family. The instructions are at the top of the document. You change the values in "yellow" & the others will adjust to give you your %BF, BMR, TDEE & macro goals. It also allows you to enter your activity in "hours." I redo my numbers monthly or after I've lost 5 pounds. The second tab also allows you to track your values over time, so everything is in one simple spreadsheet!"

Hope this helps! Good luck!!!