New mum on 1200 cals per day needing support- please help!

Options
Hi guys

I'm a mum of 2 beautiful girls (one 16 weeks old) and I have recently joined MFP. I am really enjoying the app (slightly obsessed already actually!).

I have 54lbs to lose after piling it on during my pregnancy. Just in a week on MFP I have amazingly managed to lose 7lb but it's a drop in the ocean to how much I need to lose.

I really need support and encouragement so please add me!

Thanks

Vicki

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding you are going to need way more than 1200 calories a day. Even if you are not 1200 is still not enough.

You really need to meet Scooby:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • sleroux14
    Options
    1200 cals is way not enough for you !!!

Go read that article : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/iris-higgins/an-open-apology-to-all-of_b_3762714.html
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

I'm a mum of 2 beautiful girls (one 16 weeks old) and I have recently joined MFP. I am really enjoying the app (slightly obsessed already actually!).

I have 54lbs to lose after piling it on during my pregnancy. Just in a week on MFP I have amazingly managed to lose 7lb but it's a drop in the ocean to how much I need to lose.

I really need support and encouragement so please add me!

Thanks

Vicki
    It's nothing like a drop in the ocean. It's over 10%! Take encouragement from that.

However, a little reality check is in order. It took 9 months for you to gain that weight and it's not going to come off overnight. Dropping 7 pounds in the first week after changing your diet is normal, as you deplete your glycogen stores in your muscle due to reduced carbohydrate intake. Each gram of glycogen has three grams of water that it carries with it when it gets stored. It will slow down to a normal rate pretty quickly; do not take that as a lack of success!

And as others have said, 1200 calories is not enough for a new mother. If you are breastfeeding you will probably need 1500 to 1800 minimum. Your body is manufacturing everything that your baby needs to sustain its life; do not deprive your baby of the essential fats its growing brain needs! Even if you don't breastfeed, you will still be expending more energy looking after your baby, and you need to eat more than 1200 calories.

If it takes a year or more to take off the weight but you do it in a healthy way, is that such a bad thing?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have 2 little boys. If you are breastfeeding, you will need to definitely eat more but if you get the chance, I highly recommend reading this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants 
  • jeanniemarie73
    jeanniemarie73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    1200 is not enough!
    I did that and my weight lost completly stopped!

I now do TDEE and minus 20%
    am finally losing again.

like maryjane_88 said above....check out Scooby's site
  • toir80
    toir80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your concern guys!

I am breast feeding so I will increase to 1500.

I know that the first 10% comes off really quickly but that's what I want. I need to get out of my maternity trousers and I refuse to by anymore clothes at this weight!

Vicki x
  • bex4health
    bex4health Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1500 still might not be enough. I wouldn't go below 1800, and that's still pretty low. I'm not trying to preach but you'll have to decide between BF or weight loss at a significant calorie deficit. Most like likely you're milk supply will decrease and its very hard work to increase if this happens. I weaned my daughter a couple months ago and in the past year have loss all my baby weight plus some at a 2100-2300 diet. If you need a friend and motivation please send a request.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options

I know that the first 10% comes off really quickly but that's what I want. I need to get out of my maternity trousers and I refuse to by anymore clothes at this weight!

Vicki x

No lower than 1800calories per day for breastfeeding mommies :heart: You also need to eat extra calories to make up for any exercise you do each day. I know its a little confusing but you are not doing yourself any favors by starving. Not only could you damage your metabolism permanently but you could also dry up your breastmilk supply and believe me it is heartbreaking when you have to switch to formula when you don't want to.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Vicki x

No lower than 1800calories per day for breastfeeding mommies :heart: You also need to eat extra calories to make up for any exercise you do each day. I know its a little confusing but you are not doing yourself any favors by starving. Not only could you damage your metabolism permanently but you could also dry up your breastmilk supply and believe me it is heartbreaking when you have to switch to formula when you don't want to.

:heart:

I think your health, and the health of your bub is more important than dropping weight quickly - getting enough nutrients is vital for both of you!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding you are going to need way more than 1200 calories a day. Even if you are not 1200 is still not enough.

^ This
  • jeanniemarie73
    jeanniemarie73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Vicki x

Yes while Breastfeeding you need to eat more that 1200 for sure but 1500 is still too low. Your milk may dry up. If you want to keep breastfeeding while losing weight you may want to concider the Weight Watchers diet. They have a plan you can do while Breastfeeding. I can assure you it is a great plan, I lost 20 lbs in 5-6 months on that plan while breastfeeding, I also walked pushing the stroller several times a week. It did not drop off in lightning speed but I lost on average of 1 lb per week.

Enjoy this special time with your baby and dont rush to drop weight fast, slow is always better ESPECIALLY while you are breastfeeding.