How to handle "cheat" meals?

Options
Just some background: I'm 5'2" 114lb. 25% BF. My GW:110 20% BF. I would like to achieve my goal in 2-3 months. Most days I eat 1400-1500 calories. However once a week, I have a cheat meal usually associated with socializing. I typically limit myself to 2 drinks, but since we are eating out, I imagine just that one meal could equal 1000 calories or more. I don't really want to give it up, I'm a foodie so I really look forward to these. I'm willing to be extra good the day before and after and do longer workouts. I'm looking for reasonable ways to make it work. Should I do a long cardio workout? Strength training? Am I setting myself up for defeat?

Do you guys never eat out?

Replies

• MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Think of your goal more as a week long goal rather than a daily goal. Eating over one day a week won't ruin your diet. Add up all the calories for the week and divide by 7. Then you can see your average daily deficit, which is more important than your individual day deficits. As long as you have an average deficit, then that one day isn't a problem. If that one day is high enough to put you over maintenance, then maybe add more exercise or cut back a little.

Figuring out the calories when eating out can be tricky. Always ask if the restaurant has a nutrition menu. I believe they are required to by law, but that doesn't mean they do. Otherwise, try to estimate it as best you can.
  • djsignal
    Options
    I was told you load up on calories to boost your metabolism once a week aka cheat day but this is if you lift for body re composition. Its one day you can eat what ever you want (as far as i know) just dont gorge.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Glad to see Cheat Meal. Most folks go with Cheat Day. When I know I am going out and going to "indulge" I try to get an extra cardio session in. I don't think it really does anything except give me peace of mind.

Cheat meals are not a bad thing. I used to have a "1 per week rule" for cheat meals but I found out after eating healthy and working out for a while that I really didn't want the cheat meals, but I was also surprised at how many really tasty dishes are lower in calories than I thought they would be.