Need Tips, VERY picky eater andlik not able to join gym

Options
Reeder06
Reeder06 Posts: 60 Member
OK, So let me start off by saying I have dieted many times before. I lost 40 lbs before I got married years ago, but since then after having a child, going through a divorce and all of the stress that all of that brings I have packed on the lbs again. Here is my problem, I am probably the world's most pickiest eater I honestly think most children eat a more wide variety of foods then I do. I am not sure how to change that, because when I am hungry I don't like "healthy snacks" so what do I do, turn to the junk. I am not able to go to a gym, but realizing this I have purchased an elliptical and an ab roller (since my abs need the most work). I plan on using them religiously and have ordered a BodyMedia armband. I think I am very motivated to finally get this weight off after reading some of these success stories but I am so scared that after a few weeks, I will not have enough "healthy" options to eat and will give up. Any other people have this issue, or have any tips that might help me expand my tastebuds?

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    My diet used to consist of mostly junk, honestly I think its just one of those things you have to suck it up and plough through, some things you will come to like over time, some things you will discover you like in certain ways, and you can certainly still have junk food at times, as long as it fits your macros :) Good luck
  • dellalyn
    Options
    It would be helpful to know what you do like to eat and what you are willing to eat. Do you only eat fast food and potato chips?
    Can you eat a salad with your meal? Will you eat a banana with peanut butter? Getting some info would help so we can try to help you. Please share a little more..
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    What is it you want more? To enjoy your food or loose weight? You can't be healthy if you don't eat healthy!!!
  • Reeder06
    Options
    The only fruits I really like are bananas, watermelon and apples. Vegetables I eat are green beans, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, peas and corn. I dont really snack on ice cream, potato chips, dont like pizza or soda. I only ever drink water because I dont like tea or any flavored water. I don't like mushrooms, onions, peppers, most sauces. I'll eat salads every now and then but usually have to have eggs or lunchmeat or chicken in the salad. I don't like any "foreign" (sorry not correct but not sure how else to explain it) foods, like chinese, mexican etc....I mostly eat chicken, pork and ground beef. Thanks for any help you can provide :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Liking only junk is not really picky, it's just unhealthy. So do you hate all healthy food? It's bad habits that you need to change.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    The only fruits I really like are bananas, watermelon and apples. Vegetables I eat are green beans, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, peas and corn. I dont really snack on ice cream, potato chips, dont like pizza or soda. I only ever drink water because I dont like tea or any flavored water. I don't like mushrooms, onions, peppers, most sauces. I'll eat salads every now and then but usually have to have eggs or lunchmeat or chicken in the salad. I don't like any "foreign" (sorry not correct but not sure how else to explain it) foods, like chinese, mexican etc....I mostly eat chicken, pork and ground beef. Thanks for any help you can provide :)

So eat those things you listed above,
  • upsidedownjelly
    Options
    I used to HATE fruit. A lot of it was that I hadn't tried much because my mom always focused on me eating my veggies, not my fruit. Anyyywayy a few years ago i made it my goal to try a new fruit once a week for a few months. It opened my eyes to delicious things I had been previously refusing. There were some failures too (mango... ugh.) but nothing bad happened when I ate something I didn't like. I just... Wouldn't buy it again.
    Since then I've been much more adventurous in my eating. I still eat too much but at least now I'm eating more variety too ;)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    To be honest with all the stuff you listed there that you like I think you can have a fine diet :)
  • Reeder06
    Options
    I used to HATE fruit. A lot of it was that I hadn't tried much because my mom always focused on me eating my veggies, not my fruit. Anyyywayy a few years ago i made it my goal to try a new fruit once a week for a few months. It opened my eyes to delicious things I had been previously refusing. There were some failures too (mango... ugh.) but nothing bad happened when I ate something I didn't like. I just... Wouldn't buy it again.
    Since then I've been much more adventurous in my eating. I still eat too much but at least now I'm eating more variety too ;)

I guess you are right. Most fruits can be bought by the single item. So why not pick something new each week to try. Thank you!
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I tried dieting. Didn't work for me.

It wasn't until I realized I hated being fat more than I disliked healthy eating and exercise that I finally made health my lifestyle and saw real results.

Some days I'm not in love with what I'm putting in my mouth, but I'm giving my body good fuel and it is happy. Fortunately my mouth has a shorter memory than my body. :)

I eat the foods I do like cooked as healthy as possible, I also have junk food on special occasions or small quantities. When I start to get burned out of the foods I enjoy I try new foods until I find new favorites or until I happily go back to my old favs.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Eat less of what you eat now.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    +1 for the eat less of what you do now.

And another plug for finding new ways to put together the foods you already like. Add new spices, try cooking beef in a slow cooker, in a pot, grilled, fried, etc. My husband is a fantastic cook. Just fantastic. I love our diet and while I'm currently trying to lose weight, I basically eat just what he has always cooked but less of it. One of his tricks is to use a meat thermometer - if it's cooked perfectly you'll find you're able to eat it over and over without getting too sick of it. His rib eye steaks with steamed broccoli are so utterly perfect.
  • riverain
    riverain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    when I am hungry I don't like "healthy snacks" so what do I do, turn to the junk.

Don't let yourself get hungry, and you will be less tempted to cheat. This works for me by eating something small every 2-3 hours. The list of healthy foods you do like is a good place to start. If you like chocolate, the chocolate flavored protein drink mixes are satisfying. And just get rid if the junk! If you cant throw it away, give it to someone else. I have been on a junk food giveaway spree this week, by bf is getting worried he wont have anything left to eat...

Also, don't feel bad if you don't find yourself liking something new. I have the opposite problem ( i cant find anything i don't like and it shows*), but my bf is very picky. However, over time he has expanded his taste buds just by being willing to try a bite of everything. There is no shame in spitting it out if you have to!

*Okay, i lied. I cant stand cottage cheese or olives or maraschino cherries. Blech!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You and I could have a contest to see who the world's pickiest eater is. I hate everything! And healthy food is no where near my list of foods I like. I can't even handle yogurt! You just have to find low calorie options that work for you. My Cup Of Soup that I eat everyday surely isn't considered "healthy" but it's only 290 calories and I like it. My go to fast food is Taco Bell, one because I would die without it, two because it's only 900 calories and I eat there at least 2 times a week. You don't have to eat healthy food to lose weight. You will lose weight as long as you eat less than your body burns.

I don't do gyms either. I bought an exercise bike when I started 3 months ago but after about two months, I got a new puppy and I can't leave her alone for 30 minutes to exercise. So I haven't touched the bike in at least a month, maybe more. I'm still losing. I do planks whenever I can, even at work. I also do 10 squats every time I go to the bathroom. It's not much but it is more than I was getting and I try to up that number every week.

You can do this without being a health nut. You just have to put the effort out there and find solutions that work for you. My diary is open, feel free to check it out. My goal is 1500 cals/day but I usually stick closer to 1200 or 1300.

Edited because I can't spell!
  • coltonsmumma
    coltonsmumma Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've got you all beat in the picky department. I do not eat fruit. At all. I only like corn, carrots, string beans, and celery for veggies. Sometimes lettuce.

I only eat chicken, turkey, or beef. No fish, no pork except bacon and sausage.

Sometimes eggs.

Potatoes, bread, rice, pasta (no sauce) and cheese.

Plus cookies and cakes.

That's about it. Occasionally I'll eat some nuts. No yogurt, bleck. I only drink green tea or water.

For me it's portion control and tracking. Even when I'm eating less, I'm still at about 1800-2000 cals per day and I feel like I'm eating nothing. I just started up again. I was doing good until my divorce was being worked out and I lost my way. Just recently, I started hating my clothes and thought it would be a good time to lose weight, because then I have a reason to buy new clothes.

Lost 90 lbs about 12 years ago with slimfast, original dexatrim, and clubbing 5 nights a week. Could handle that in my 20's, but not so much in my 30's. Managed to keep that weight off for about 4 years... but then... Gained 100 with my bad marriage. Lost 40, gained back 50, lost 40, gained back 30, lost 20, gained it back. Blah!!!

For exercise, you can look up workouts on youtube if you are time crunched. I joined planet fitness for $99 for a year, and I hate being so fat there, but I have been trying to go during my free time instead of just laying in bed. When I do 30 minutes at 2.5mph on a 10 incline, I burn a TON of calories. I use my HRM, it's very important.

I stopped eating sausage egg and cheese croissant EVERY DAY... that was getting out of control.

I stopped eating whole bags of chips, and now I count out or weigh one serving, hide the rest and then eat them and track them. I choose the baked lays first, or munchos.

I measure out portions instead of just serving up whatever I think I can fit in my stomach. Two chicken fingers instead of 6 or 7, 9 tater tots instead of 25. I have to work to shrink my stomach down, and I know that takes some time. I know I can get there.

When I'm ready to give up and gorge... I take a spoonful of fluff and lick it slowly. It helps, a lot!

I know I'm addicted to sugar, and I know that's going to be a hard one to break. I've done this before and had good success, but this time I have to try to stop letting life get in the way. Track track track. When I stop tracking, I stop doing what is needed.

Feel free to friend me. I need motivation too!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

That's a good menu...start with that and maybe start adding or trying different things.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!