I need Healthy Pizza recipes

Options

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I use blobs of goat cheese instead of other cheeses. 2 tbsp has about half the calories of other cheeses
  • xkimberlee007
    xkimberlee007 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Egg roll wrapper with low fat cheese and turkey pepperoni,roll it up, spray with cooking spray, bake at 400 till crispy. Dip in marinara. Not technically pizza but it is yummy and fast/ easy :) it's about 130 calories if you put 1 oz cheese and 6 pepperoni.
  • bitshred
    bitshred Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "Healthy Pizza" is more or less an oxymoron isn't it? Just kidding, it's my favorite food, and I consider it one of my four food groups, ;)
    I really like the idea of using a low carb tortilla!

I made paleo pizza crust once, with cauliflower and almond flower, but it was weird and not a big hit.
    Now, my family uses a gluten free crust mix, not sure of the brand/name. But everyone actually likes it.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    my favorite is to take a large portabello mushroom, stem side up with the stem cut off, find a marinara sauce you like, your favorite low fat cheese, and what ever toppings you want bake for about 30 - 40 minutes.

This sounds quite yummy. I'm going to try this as soon as I pick up some mushrooms.
  • CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you want a healthier pizza, consider at what makes "regular" pizza such a high calorie nightmare, and change accordingly.

1. Excess sugar and oil in the pizza dough, and thick crust or worse, stuffed crust base. A thin, crisp base has less dough, and a home made base has less sugar, salt and fat than a commercial one (plus it tastes great and is fun to make). If you are in a hurry, then a wholegrain tortilla will make a nice base (as lots have already suggested).

2. Fat from cheese. Replace with a low fat alternative, and use less - just garnish rather than cover.

3. Excess sugar and salt in pizza sauce (barbecue sauce is loaded with sugar). Make your own sauce from tinned tomato, or use alternatives like pesto, white bean puree, or red pepper paste.

3. Fat and salt from processed meats. Pepperoni tastes great but it's loaded with fat and nitrites. Processed meat is also linked to bowel cancer. Stick to vegetarian toppings like roasted or marinated vegetables, and fresh greens like rocket or baby spinach. Use herbs and spices, or spicy peppers like jalapenos to give your pizza punchy flavour. If you really want meat, then stick with chicken breast, prawns/shrimp, slices of steak or lean ground beef.

4. Portion size. Rather than making one big pizza and feeling the temptation to eat all of it, make small individual size portions. You'll trick yourself into feeling like you've eaten a whole pizza, but really you've only eaten the equivalent of 2-3 slices.

5. Enjoy it as a special meal. Make pizza your weekend indulgence, and spend some quality time making it, rather than it being something you order during the week when you're tired. It will be a special meal, you'll enjoy it more, and you won't feel like you're missing out on something because you're trying to lose weight.
  • nerge
    nerge Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    cauliflower based pizza is delish and about 200 cals for 1/4 of the recipe. - depending on your toppings!
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I love more ideas :) Keep it going
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a low calorie cookbook (1,001 Low-fat Recipes by Sue Splitler) and found this pizza recipe in it. It's AMAZING and so much better than any of the chain pizza places around (not to mention, much more healthy). It's a little time consuming because you have to make everything from scratch (takes me about an hour to make it), but it is totally worth it! I make the dough first then the sauce and then I bake the pizza in the oven. I don't put the tomatoes on; I just make it a cheese pizza, but you can probably add any kind of topping that you want on this, but I've never done it before since it tastes just fine with just cheese.

This makes a 12 inch pizza which feeds 3-4 people.

Fresh Tomato and Basil Pizza

Prep: 60 minutes
    Cook: 20 minutes

Ingredients
    Olive oil cooking spray
    Basic Pizza Dough (see below)
    Pizza Sauce (see below)
    1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 cup (4 ounces) fat-free mozzarella cheese
    ½- ¾ cup (2-3 ounces) reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
    2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
    12 basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves

Directions
    1. Spray 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray; spread dough on pan, making rim around edge. Mix Pizza Sauce and garlic; spread over dough. Sprinkle with cheeses; top with tomato slices and basil.
    2. Bake pizza at 425 degrees until crust is browned. 15 to 20 minutes

Nutritional Information (6 servings; one serving = 1/6 of pizza)
    Calories: 193
    Fat: 1.8g (sat: 1.1g)
    Protein: 14.1g
    Carbs: 29.4g
    Cholesterol: 5.1mg
    Sodium: 306mg

Basic Pizza Dough

Ingredients
    1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
    1 package fast-rising yeast
    ½ teaspoon sugar
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ½ cup very hot water (120 degrees)

Directions
    1. Combine ¾ cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt in medium bowl; add hot water, stirring until smooth. Mix in enough of remaining ½ flour to make a soft dough. (I always mix in the rest of the flour (no need for any more than recipe calls for) and mix until its smooth and not sticky; usually takes about 5-10 minutes)
    2. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic, 3 to 5 minutes. Cover dough with inverted bowl; let stand 15 minutes before using. Spread dough on pan according to directions in pizza recipe.

Nutritional Information (one 12-inch crust (6 large slices); one serving = 1/6 of pizza)
    Calories: 99.5
    Fat: 0.3g (sat: 0g)
    Protein: 3.2g
    Carbs: 20.7g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 89mg

Pizza Sauce
    Ingredients
    Olive oil cooking spray
    1 small onion, chopped
    ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 can (8 ounces) reduced-sodium tomato sauce
    ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
    ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Spray medium saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
    2. Stir in tomato sauce and herbs; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper

Nutritional Information (four servings; one serving = ¼ cup)
    Calories: 37
    Fat: 0.1g (sat: 0g)
    Protein: 1.5g
    Carbs: 7.8g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 18mg
  • summerbjackson
    summerbjackson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    These recipes look great
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    just eat the carbs …LOL they are not "bad" I promise..

I just get one of those boboli thin curst pizzas..sauce, mozzarella, chicken, pineapple, feta, black olives = boom!
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    As another poster said, it can be so high in carbs and fat because of how it's made. Carbs and fat aren't bad, but it can be difficult to fit a commercial pizza into your day if you aren't having a "cheat" day. I love pizza, so I try to fit it in as much as possible. What I've found to do is use Flat Out flatbread (I use the kind that's multi-grain with flax) and turkey pepperoni instead of regular since I don't really care for cooked vegetables. I also use sandwich thins; most brands are a hundred calories each, so you just pull it apart and pile on the toppings!
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Josephs pita bread for the crust just 60 calories love it!
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    AUS0833-Good-Choice-Range-Wall-Translite-1024x819.jpg

1000ish cals per pizza
    45P/160C/15F (for chicken napolitana)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    just eat the carbs …LOL they are not "bad" I promise..

I just get one of those boboli thin curst pizzas..sauce, mozzarella, chicken, pineapple, feta, black olives = boom!

Lost me at feta & olives.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free and make my pizza with a corn tortilla as the crust. My favorite is bbq chicken.
  • BlackRose101
    BlackRose101 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm a pinterest type of gal, so i have a few recipes up my sleeve :p

htt p:/ / nutritionstripped [ dot]com/cauliflower-pizza-crust/

and

http :// mykitchenaffair [dot] blogspot [dot] com/2012/07 /parmesan-baked-tomatoes-something.ht
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My boys love bagel thin or wheat English muffin pizzas. We usually do a wide variety of veggies, and everyone can make their own. My favorite is grilled chicken (usually leftovers) with a bbq sauce and grilled onions and mushrooms. Love the portion control, and they make great leftovers. Just make sure to toast the English muffins/bagel before adding the sauce, so it doesn't get soggy.
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing all of the yummy recipes.
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any luck trying a pizza dough using stevia or agave?