Counting the calories of veggies/fruits?

Options
do you think i should count the calories of veggies and fruits? or do u think its OK to snack on them when im out of calories for the day and still hungry?

Replies

• sacorner
    sacorner Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. I would count them. BUT...if you're out of calories in your daily allowance and hungry, fruit and veggies is the way to go :)
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, and I mean actually hungry--not just bored or thirsty, then eat. Veggies are fruits are the best thing to eat if you're "out of calories" and still want to eat something. Other good suggestions are a small handful of nuts or a glass of milk.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Count 'em.

Inaccurate logs are inaccurate logs, and if you find yourself reviewing them at any point trying to figure out why you've only lost X instead of Y, missing entries aren't going to help.

You also may find it something of a mental relief to log your overages - when I'm over and doing the calculations in my head, somehow the numbers seem much larger and more imposing than written down in black and white (and, er, red) in the log.

tl;dr - own up
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I log everything... even gum/cough drops. That's me though. It depends on the person and their goals but I log everything to make sure I'm within my allowance! But if I go over snacking on carrots, I don't care. I just like to know!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Count them! But it is better in my opinion to go over on calories because of fruits or veggies than because of something like cake or ice cream.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I usually don't count raw, plain fruits/veggies. A few carrot sticks or some of my daughter's leftover apple slices are not going to make me gain 50 lbs :)
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You should log them and then walk around the block.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I usually don't count raw, plain fruits/veggies. A few carrot sticks or some of my daughter's leftover apple slices are not going to make me gain 50 lbs :)

what about cooked carrots?

OP, they're calories just like everything else. depending on what you eat and how much, it may not be insignificant. I log everything, if i'm hungry so be it. if you're in a calorie deficit, it's likely you're going to feel hungry occasionally.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    count, weigh, log everything..

its the only way to get an accurate count of what you are taking in...
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Count 'em.

Inaccurate logs are inaccurate logs, and if you find yourself reviewing them at any point trying to figure out why you've only lost X instead of Y, missing entries aren't going to help.

You also may find it something of a mental relief to log your overages - when I'm over and doing the calculations in my head, somehow the numbers seem much larger and more imposing than written down in black and white (and, er, red) in the log.

tl;dr - own up

+1
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    One banana, one apple, and one orange in a day can easily be 200 calories. Do that every day and it's 73,000 calories in a year. That's 21 pounds gained every year from not counting fruit.
  • ziggiezambi
    Options
    Count everything! Even if you go over it still needs to be accounted for.
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    One banana, one apple, and one orange in a day can easily be 200 calories. Do that every day and it's 73,000 calories in a year. That's 21 pounds gained every year from not counting fruit.

Great visual in explaining this.

Count them. Count everything.
  • X_littlemiss_X
    Options
    yep, id log them too :)
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'd log them but i would go more for veggies than fruits.