College Student Breakfast and Lunch Ideas

Options
ilovelucy711
ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
Hey,
I am a college student (commuter) and am needing healthy easy cheap ideas!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do you live in a dorm with a meal pass, or at home?
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I live at home.
  • pojo30
    pojo30 Posts: 62
    Options
    Crack an egg in a coffee mug, heat for 40 seconds and place it on a whole wheat muffin. You can also scramble the egg, heat it, add some salsa and place it in a whole wheat wrap. Perfect on the go foods that are healthy.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My favorites for on the go one-handed breakfasts are...string cheese, hard boiled egg, homemade mcbreakfast English muffin type sandwich or breakfast burrito (instead of one at a time make a batch and freeze a week's worth), peanut butter toast or peanut butter and apple slices sandwich, tuna or egg salad sandwich, glass of milk, baggie of nuts or homemade trail mix, a piece of fruit. Although not a portable I enjoy yogurt or a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast too.
  • tangerinekiwi
    Options
    In grad school, I almost religiously had omelets for breakfast (and I hate eggs)... But it's cheap and easy and you can change up the ingredients whenever. I actually had one today with pesto and goat cheese. Lunch I packed salads with tuna or some meat on it and some soup on the side. Packed it the night before so I couldn't leave without it in the morning in a time pinch. Oh, and I went to school in Montreal, so it was another reason in the dead of winter for me to avoid leaving the warm university to go eat out for lunch. Unless I craved sushi...
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    For breakfast:

Hardboil a carton of eggs in advance (even boiled they'll hold 1+ week in the fridge).
    Eat a couple of them with some bread or crackers and a glass of milk.
    Ready in minutes and will hold you till lunch.
  • ksthill1980
    ksthill1980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Egg Muffins

Ingredients:
    5 whole eggs
    5 egg whites
    1 package of frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained, and squeezed to remove the water)
    ¼ cup of milk
    ½ cup of chopped meat (I use grilled chicken)
    Salt and pepper
    Cheese (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray

Toss spinach and meat together then drop into muffin pan (I have a muffin pan that makes 24 mini-muffins so I usually get a tablespoon of the filling into each hole)

Scramble eggs, egg whites, milk and salt and pepper

Pour egg mixture on top of meat/veggie mix and bake for 20 minutes.

They can be frozen and reheated in 30 seconds each (which is why I like them for me).
  • ksthill1980
    ksthill1980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh and breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast food." I had a piece of leftover salmon from last nights dinner with a glass of OJ this morning.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    plain yogurt mixed with peanut butter and something yummy: chocolate, syrup... whatever you fancy.