Momentum?

Options
A girlfriend of mine just posted this quote on her Facebook:
"If you took all that energy you put towards hating your body into changing it, you would be amazed with the results."

That's all fine and dandy, but the hatred I have toward my body doesn't feel so much like energy. It feels like a weight, keeping me down. Anyone with depression knows the listlessness and fatigue I'm talking about. I've been free of depression for about two years now, but that sluggishness that keeps me from getting to the gym is still there. I eat well and I do get out and Swing and Blues dance, which burns some calories, but it's not the activity level I need to get to where I want to be with my fitness goals.

This sluggishness affects more than just my fitness goals. It affects my coursework and housework. It affects me being available for my preschool-aged son. It even affects my ability to get out of bed on time in the mornings.

Can anyone relate to this? If so, how do you get your butt off the couch and in motion? How do you find the energy to push past this barricade when you feel like you have zero energy available?

Replies

• davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You just have to want something bad enough to make yourself uncomfortable.

Then once you've made yourself uncomfortable get comfortable with making yourself uncomfortable, pushing your limits whenever possible.

Like the dude who will not go to the gym until he hits his goal weight (likely uncomfortable with going to the gym).

This is me.

edit: I am not the dude who does not go to the gym though! That's some other dude SMH
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    You may need to further investigate the "sluggishness." It could very well be medically related and not behavioral.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yep, I can relate when I come home from a 12hr shift the last thing on earth I want to do is anything. However, I know that when I do I feel better in the long run. I sleep better. I have more energy. I might genuinely feel like I'm dying on my knees at the time! But the pay off later that day & the next day is worth it.

Truthfully I've slacked off of late & I can feel the difference in my body. Now is the time I feel really, really crappy again. So back to the pushing myself I go!... Also once its a few weeks in it becomes second nature.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    A girlfriend of mine just posted this quote on her Facebook:
    "If you took all that energy you put towards hating your body into changing it, you would be amazed with the results."

That's all fine and dandy, but the hatred I have toward my body doesn't feel so much like energy. It feels like a weight, keeping me down. Anyone with depression knows the listlessness and fatigue I'm talking about. I've been free of depression for about two years now, but that sluggishness that keeps me from getting to the gym is still there. I eat well and I do get out and Swing and Blues dance, which burns some calories, but it's not the activity level I need to get to where I want to be with my fitness goals.

This sluggishness affects more than just my fitness goals. It affects my coursework and housework. It affects me being available for my preschool-aged son. It even affects my ability to get out of bed on time in the mornings.

Can anyone relate to this? If so, how do you get your butt off the couch and in motion? How do you find the energy to push past this barricade when you feel like you have zero energy available?

The statement probably means that we spend so much negative energy doing or feeling certain ways that it controls or affects other areas of our life. Sluggishness and listlessness are energy terms, but denote a lack of it psychologically. As long as you are fueling your body sufficiently, you need to power through this to work out. No, isn't easy, but it gets easier once you get started.

Take care of yourself and do what you can. Also, evaluate whether you might need to talk to someone about this.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    For me with weightloss I'm like an engine rolling over trying to start...I may have false starts but once I get it going I won't stop..meaning I can't force it until my mind and body have committed and are ready to do it...once I pass the mental point where I will do anything for my health I can accomplish anything because my mind kicks it into gear and I get it done...this is always how I have been...if you know there isn't a medical reason for the sluggishness have a good hard look at why you want to be healthy and try to get fired up about it!