Can too much fat in one day cause...

Options
diarrhea?

A couple of days ago, I had to drink whole milk (instead of 1% because the store was out). I was over my daily fat intake by about 25g. That night, it started. It lasted 2 days--slowly got worse, peaked, and then slowly improved.

I had also had a New Year's Eve dinner in a restaurant 45 hours prior. So it was either mild food poisoning from that, or too much fat one day a couple days later.

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    25g of fat should not cause diarrhea - it must have been food poisoning....I go way over 25g extra on a cheat day - and might feel a little yuck from eating too much, but no diarrhea...
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My guess would be food poisoning
  • dauvis
    dauvis Posts: 57
    Options
    Diarrhea can be a symptom of lactose intolerance.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    My guess would be food poisoning

agree
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I was thinking this as well, but lower fat milk also has lactose, and it sounds like OP dinks lower fat milk.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Right, but I usually drink 24-32 ounces of 1% milk of the same brand per day and have never gotten this from milk.
  • CaptainHNNNGGG
    CaptainHNNNGGG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Drink a 4 liter and let us know
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I can't tolerate whole milk. I can barely manage 2% milk. With whole milk, I'll have terrible diarrhea starting about 30 minutes after I drink it. I can usually be OK with whole milk or ice cream if I take two Lactaids beforehand. Skim and 1% don't give me any issues at all. 2% I'm 50/50 with.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    I can't tolerate whole milk. I can barely manage 2% milk. With whole milk, I'll have terrible diarrhea starting about 30 minutes after I drink it. I can usually be OK with whole milk or ice cream if I take two Lactaids beforehand. Skim and 1% don't give me any issues at all. 2% I'm 50/50 with.

I eat ice cream with no problem.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe not food poisoning but something that didn't set well with you. Food poisoning usually causes stomach pain too.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    Maybe not food poisoning but something that didn't set well with you. Food poisoning usually causes stomach pain too.

Stomach was unsettled but not painful or nauseous.

I once got food poisoning a few years ago, and the symptoms were similar, but more intense/more discomfort, and diarrhea and lasted about 2 weeks total instead of 2 days. Of course everything varies depending on what you get infected with...

It's just strange since it started a few hours after the whole milk. I had 24 ounces of it...well within my daily milk consumption. Just a fattier version.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat over 100 grams of fat in a day and my stomach is fine and dandy! So it wasn't the fat.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I get an upset stomach from rich food sometimes too, especially if I haven't been eating it for a while. I don't think it's uncommon.

this

me too
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    I get an upset stomach from rich food sometimes too, especially if I haven't been eating it for a while. I don't think it's uncommon.

this

me too

Yeah, but what about diarrhea and almost diarrhea for 2 days?
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    I eat over 100 grams of fat in a day and my stomach is fine and dandy! So it wasn't the fat.

Yeah, I ate about 110-115g of fat that day. I usually eat more like 75-90g.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

this

me too

Yeah, but what about diarrhea and almost diarrhea for 2 days?

yes diarrhea. Not for two days straight though.

Thats more of a stomach virus it sounds like.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My gallbladder has been removed and I get the poops from too much fat in one day.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    My gallbladder has been removed and I get the poops from too much fat in one day.

Still have mine...
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Still don't think it was the fat. Check the expiration dates on whatever you ate that day.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

Still don't think it was the fat. Check the expiration dates on whatever you ate that day.

The only other different-from-usual thing I ate that day was some avocado. No one else got sick from it. But I probably ate more than anyone else. Never gotten sick from avocado before, but I suppose there's always a first.

And the milk was distributed over a few hours, not all at once.

The stuff started that night.

I ate out for New Year's 2 nights before, and brought home half of my meal (chicken) heated it thoroughly, and ate the rest of it the next day. (That was the day before the high fat day.)