Cheat day

Options

Replies

• myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I try not to have a whole cheat DAY, more like a cheat MEAL. Once a week my parents come to visit and they take me out for dinner. That is usually my cheat meal, but I always log it and plan the rest of my day accordingly :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've had a few. Two of them were 'breakfast' or 'lunch' cheat meal that ended up under my calorie goal anyway because I was stuffed. The rest was Holidays, and a couple days in between... most I've gone is 1100 over my goal, usually it's still under 500. Apart from the Holidays they were not planned, I just decided to have that dessert at the restaurant, pretty much.

I don't really recommend them unless you're really craving something that you can't possibly fit in your calories. It took me 3 weeks to get rid of the water weight once... but the other days it didn't seem to affect my weight one way or another. The main issue is you still have to use some control, or you can easily go way over and ruin all your efforts... So as a once in a while thing, sure, but I wouldn't do it more than once a month, and that's pushing it.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't have a "cheat" day. However, I am 62 years old and have had more cheat days than you could possibly count. It was what brought me to MFP 2 years ago.

The only one I would be cheating is myself, and I already did that for too long.

You have to do what is right for you and works for you. If that includes a cheat day/meal, by all means, go for it. It is nobody else's business how we get to where we want to be.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I typically just plan what I want to eat into my calories for the day. For exampe, I plan on having a slice of cake after dinner tonight, but I don't consider it a cheat because its planned and I have the calories for it.

One day a week, I do a "cheat" so to speak. I don't just throw it all to the wind though. Usually I'll allow myself to go over by 300 or so, and I get right back to it the next day. I also try to make them healthy cheats. I had turkey bacon this past weekend, which put me over my calories. But turkey bacon is better than a Big Mac, ya know?

Cheat days might set you back from reaching your goals, but they also keep you from binging.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't plan a "Cheat" day but I still have a life to live which includes going out. Saturday we went for brunch and I had eggs benedict and hasbrowns and a pint. Over the course of a week I worked out a little harder, left some calories on the table and my week ended up with me only being 100 calories over plan. I don't consider that a cheat, just living.
  • pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    Options
    I don't plan a "Cheat" day but I still have a life to live which includes going out. Saturday we went for brunch and I had eggs benedict and hasbrowns and a pint. Over the course of a week I worked out a little harder, left some calories on the table and my week ended up with me only being 100 calories over plan. I don't consider that a cheat, just living.

Basically, I do the same. It's not a cheat day, but a cheat meal every 7-10 days. I try to even things out for the week. It's a part of my life to enjoy going out. I don't binge but when eating out, the calories add up fast.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I usually have one or two "cheat" days a week. I plan them ahead of time to stay on track. Mine are usually a Saturday or Friday. I also eat whatever I want within my calories allowed so in some ways every day could be considered a "cheat" day. I just try to be mindful of my calories. I have the most success when I log all my food.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Not for years ... I found that all that it did was promote binging for me and undoing most of the week's strain. I find the best is still counting calories on a 'cheat day' but just relaxing the limits slightly, rather than an all out food craze that seems to happen to a lot of people. Also I only have a 'cheat day' if something warrants it. I.e. if I am going out with friends etc rather than 'AHMAHGAD IT'S SUNDAY - BINGE TIMEEEEEE"
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really say I have a cheat day but every now and then (about twice a month or so) I have a maintenance day. Usually because I'm just tired of not having the cheesecake or whatever and I go for it. But I try not to go over my maintenance calories. I figure it's just taking a day off without undoing any of the hard work I've put in on the days before.
  • Sarasota_Guy
    Sarasota_Guy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    YES...I don't think it's a good idea to try all this without it.

Some people just do cheat meals. I do a cheat day, which is Friday. End of the week, I look forward to having something from a restaurant, hot wings, pizza, or something processed (i.e. poison LOL). Having that to look forward to makes it SO much easier to stay strong throughout the week. I'll even have a "mid-cheat" type day on saturday, which means I'll grill lean beef burgers outside on the charcoal grill and have them with Arnold's whole wheat thin buns :)

I know some people can't do this and stay on top of it, but it's worked out pretty good for me!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 day cheat period. I pre-log my calories to get an idea of how I want to cheat, and then afterwards, I go back and log every.thing. In that time, I can eat as much as 1000 calories over my TDEE. So I've adjusted my weekdays to be at a deficit enough to cover for my weekend partying.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I have decided to make Sundays my "cheat day". Not in the way that I will eat whatever I want and consume as much of it as I want, but decided that I would not log for one day and that day would be Sunday. I am so picky about what I enter to make sure everything is correct I decided I needed a day off from that.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    No because what if I slip? (more often than I care to admit)

I just try to climb back on the horse immediately when I fall off.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    no but i have "rest" days
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    So this thread is not about sex right?
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have a "cheat meal" on the last day of every month. I call it that because it's not logged and never will be... but I tend to go over on my calories a lot with what one might consider "cheat" foods and I just try to work them into my weekly net. I couldn't have a whole cheat day... I would probably eat myself out of house and home... Then my bf would be mad because we'd have no home and his gf would be chubby :(
  • LaurenEllexx
    LaurenEllexx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't have "cheat days" but mostly cheat meals like twice a week. Usually it is dinner and completely unplanned. Sometimes I stay within my macros which is awesome but sometimes I go over...
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do have themoccasionally, but I try to save it for days when I know that it's going to be difficult or impossible to log and/or stay within my macros.

For example, I'm going to be going on a weekend trip with a few friends next weekend. I don't plan on tracking those two days, and we'll be eating out for all meals, as well as imbibing a little more than I usually do. I am going to try to make somewhat healthy choices, but I also know that two days of slightly unhealthy eating doesn't make you overweight (many months/years of unhealthy eating does!)
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Cheating is such a bad word. Eating food should not be considered cheating. Now that I got that out of the way. On to your question. I don't think taking a whole day each week will help you. In fact, it can set you back. I will have a more calorie dense meal once or twice a week. Being as it is a meal and not a day it is surrounded by nutrient dense meals so I don't have an issue. If I do a day, it can easily turn into a weekend of "cheating". Man I hate that word. Think of it as calorie dense vs nutrient dense.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I used too...But all it turned into was "Excuse to consume 5,000 calories before dinner" day.

Now I eat whatever food I want, try to eat enough protein and meet my calorie goal everyday and not go too low on calories.