Trying to gain weight

I am a complete beginner, currently 18 y/o 65.7 kg and 5'9'' in height. What can you recommend in bulking up? Like what type of food? Thankz :)

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    You can eat whatever food you want to bulk up, just make sure you eat plenty of protein, and plenty of fat, and eat at a surplus. Also it's a good idea to lift heavy while you're eating at a surplus so you're putting on the right type of weight (muscle). If you have trouble eating a lot of food, it can help to eat calorie dense foods like peanut butter that are relatively high in calories for a small amount of actual food. Do you do any weight lifting currently? What's your diet like right now? Have you done any calorie tracking recently?
  • Thanks dude for the reply :) The thing is I am not sure what the "surplus" thing is. My diet is eating rice in breakfast, menu includes ham and chicken then 2 to 3 cups of rice. Lunch...chicken again (this is my favorite) then same servings of rice. I also eat snacks like bread, etc. Basically, that is my diet. But don't get me wrong, it's not chicken everyday. Then after eating dinner, I eat light night snack. As for the weights, I have not yet started that but I am planning to, just want to know where to start. Thank you so much for the reply, it gave me a sense that there are really people who help :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Thanks dude for the reply :) The thing is I am not sure what the "surplus" thing is. My diet is eating rice in breakfast, menu includes ham and chicken then 2 to 3 cups of rice. Lunch...chicken again (this is my favorite) then same servings of rice. I also eat snacks like bread, etc. Basically, that is my diet. But don't get me wrong, it's not chicken everyday. Then after eating dinner, I eat light night snack. As for the weights, I have not yet started that but I am planning to, just want to know where to start. Thank you so much for the reply, it gave me a sense that there are really people who help :)

Go to your goals tab, look at calories burned from normal daily activity. Eat more than that, plus eat back what you burn from exercise.

If you don't lift your weight gain will be fat, not muscle
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Thanks dude for the reply :) The thing is I am not sure what the "surplus" thing is. My diet is eating rice in breakfast, menu includes ham and chicken then 2 to 3 cups of rice. Lunch...chicken again (this is my favorite) then same servings of rice. I also eat snacks like bread, etc. Basically, that is my diet. But don't get me wrong, it's not chicken everyday. Then after eating dinner, I eat light night snack. As for the weights, I have not yet started that but I am planning to, just want to know where to start. Thank you so much for the reply, it gave me a sense that there are really people who help :)

You may not be consuming enough fat with that diet.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    drink a gallon of milk a day
  • Learning from you, guys, I will ask the help of our University gym's instructor regarding the weights. Thank you so much :)
  • I would definitely revamp my diet, probably more meat? Beef?

For the one who suggested me to drink milk, thanks brah. I'll double up my milk consumption.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
  • when you say "lift heavy" ... do you specifically mean heavier weights and fewer reps? or just to lift weights a lot? (like every day).
    I too am trying to gain weight... specifically would like 7-10 lbs of muscle in my legs and upper body. The trainer had me doing lots of reps, with low weight (more for tennis performance than weight or bulk gain). whaddya think?

The other thing I'm doing is tracking everything I eat now with the myfitness app, and my excercise to make sure i have surplus calories each week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    when you say "lift heavy" ... do you specifically mean heavier weights and fewer reps? or just to lift weights a lot? (like every day).
    I too am trying to gain weight... specifically would like 7-10 lbs of muscle in my legs and upper body. The trainer had me doing lots of reps, with low weight (more for tennis performance than weight or bulk gain). whaddya think?

The other thing I'm doing is tracking everything I eat now with the myfitness app, and my excercise to make sure i have surplus calories each week.

Heavy as in heavy weights for lower reps (really anywhere in the 5-12 rep range, depending on the program and your particular goals. For gaining mass the sweet spot is usually in the 8-10 rep range on upper body and for the non-compound lower body moves 10-12. but since you are new you would probably get the most benefit from building a strong base first and will add some mass while doing so, this is usually done in the 3-6 rep range with heavy weights.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    I would definitely revamp my diet, probably more meat? Beef?

For the one who suggested me to drink milk, thanks brah. I'll double up my milk consumption.

I'd say more fruit/vegetables and other micronutrient/fibre dense foods.

• WOW! Thank you, man!
  • I would definitely revamp my diet, probably more meat? Beef?

I'd say more fruit/vegetables and other micronutrient/fibre dense foods.

Noted bro :) Thank you.