Went over calories after clicking "finish for the day"

Options
I'm on day 3 of eating healthy and its been tough. Today I did pretty well and was proud of myself...finished logging for the day, relaxed and watched Dexter. Then my bag of chocolate covered peanuts called my name...oh I'll only eat a few....then many handfuls later I'm sad. im so so mad at myself! I did so good then ruined everything...for basically no reason! I just hope this eating less/better gets easier with time. But cant let my failure of today ruin my tomorrow. Hopefully a new and better day one step closer to my goal

Replies

• in_therain
    in_therain Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You've got the right idea! I just did the same thing - plan is to examine my behavior that led to this (probably starved myself too much during the day), acknowledge it, change my behavior tomorrow, and let it go. Make tomorrow a great day!
  • jenny181111
    jenny181111 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day :) Think positive xxx
  • zak138
    zak138 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The best way to think about weight loss is your weekly calorie deficit. If you aim to cut your calories by 500 a day

500 calories x 7 days = 3500 calories

So if you go over by two hundred today and tomorrow your overall calorie deficit will be 3100, don't stress if you go over every now and again, don't let it de-rail your goals! :)

Best of luck.
  • FabMeliO
    FabMeliO Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I did something similar the day before yesterday and I felt so so disappointed with myself. But I decided to do better the next day and so I did, yesterday was a better day and today was even better. I think the important thing is to forgive yourself. Because believe me, this won't be the last time that will power will fail you. You have to be prepared to just dust yourself off and get back on track. Just promise yourself that tomorrow you will do at least a bit better, and that will make you feel motivated to win the next battle.

Just hang in there :) Good luck!
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Log the overage and do better tmro
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If it becomes an ongoing problem, I'd suggest not having accessible sweets around the house. Chew gum or have a healthier alternative available to graze on.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing sometimes. It seems like later in the evening is when it's harder to resist those high caloried snacks so I have to either leave enough calories in my day to have something...or just be aware that it is a pattern and try the best I can to NOT do it very often. As mentioned, go more on how you're probably ok with calories for the week if you eat a little under most days.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, log it. Even if you've clicked the button... log it, and click the button again.

Trust me, it will help.
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement and support! reading these this morning made me feel good about today, it'll be a better day!
  • CrissaNicole11
    CrissaNicole11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing today. I have done great for an entire week and was sooo proud of myself. But today i could feel that it was going to be a tough day. I did good most of the day until the very end. I went over about 500 calories. I haven't worked out yet so i think i'm going to try to bump up my workout and burn some of the extra calories off.

I have that habit of just giving up when i mess up, but i'm trying to change that this time and learn to keep going and be strong.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing with honey roasted peanuts, dark chocolate covered banana chips, etc., which are high in calories but don't seem as bad for you as an entire cake.

Something that helps me is to log things before I eat them and make my logging as precise as possible, so I know I'll need to make an edit if I eat a handful more.

Also, it may help to not keep binge-inducing foods in your kitchen, especially in the beginning. As I'm getting used to healthy eating, it's been easier for me to just have one cookie, a serving of chocolates, etc., but it's challenging at first. You could also buy individual packs or portion off servings as soon as you buy a container, but that won't be effective if you're willing to go back for another serving.