Deadlift Grip Strength

Options
2»

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose, don't neglect your grip training.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It's about endurance so just hold the bar for as long as possible and the strength will develop. Also do deadhangs on the pull up bar until you're crying for mummy. I can deadlift 150kg without any chalk or straps. I also tend to hold the bar across the upper fingers rather than in the palm. And they say playing with yourself is bad for you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hook grip.

also, are you gripping with the palm of your hands, or are you gripping with your finger tips? i found when i was grabbing with the palms of my hands, i would lose grip strength quickly, but when i started to grip it more with my finger tips, i could hold the bar longer.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    bump to learn!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    grip training
    chalk
    practice
    straps as a last resort

I do the deloaded- lift and hold method as a method of training-I'll do 60% for for 5 seconds- then 40% for 10 seconds. and do like 6-8 reps each. it definitely helps.

I dislike farmers walks- they hurt my shoulder- but they are definitely an option.

Also- check the different bars- my new gym has one bar with like ETCHED hatched marks- it's insanse- it's like holding a fricking cheese grater. But holy crap the grip is insane. Check and see if there aren't more bars available that have different more aggressive textures.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I think my husband hook grips now, and he lifts about 215 kg - working toward 227 kg by the month's end.

My grip (when I remember to "crush" the bar) isn't my limiting factor yet, though I did just get some liquid chalk since my gym doesn't allow chalk. If I wanted to go heavier than chalk will allow me, I'd be willing to use straps, and I have in the past. But then I'd only do it when I needed it, so as not to hold back strengthening my back/glutes/hams, *and* I'd do some of the grip training suggested here afterward.

I totally love farmer walks. But I can only do it with 50 lb. dumbbells if I want to carry them very far! :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I think my husband hook grips now, and he lifts about 215 kg - working toward 227 kg by the month's end.

My grip (when I remember to "crush" the bar) isn't my limiting factor yet, though I did just get some liquid chalk since my gym doesn't allow chalk. If I wanted to go heavier than chalk will allow me, I'd be willing to use straps, and I have in the past. But then I'd only do it when I needed it, so as not to hold back strengthening my back/glutes/hams, *and* I'd do some of the grip training suggested here afterward.

I totally love farmer walks. But I can only do it with 50 lb. dumbbells if I want to carry them very far! :laugh:

Front desk girl at my new gym and I were discussing hook grip yesterday... huge big eff no. I like my thumbs the way they are- I can deal with certain pain- but specific pain like that I'm not volunteering. Dying- sprints- crazy boot camp workouts- heavy lifting- fine- beat me break me whatever- crush my thumbs with my own hands- HELLZNO!!!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Front desk girl at my new gym and I were discussing hook grip yesterday... huge big eff no. I like my thumbs the way they are- I can deal with certain pain- but specific pain like that I'm not volunteering. Dying- sprints- crazy boot camp workouts- heavy lifting- fine- beat me break me whatever- crush my thumbs with my own hands- HELLZNO!!!
    Yep, me neither. Ain't even sorry.
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Kroc rows reportedly have a beneficial effect on grip strength, maybe try those.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/kroc_rows_101

Definitely hit these on back day.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    If they don't allow chalk, try a simple piece of rough "wipe down" paper they have hanging next to the spray bottle in each hand. It worked for me when my grip was tired getting to 460 on the shrug machine -- for some reason they had fat rubber grips there that actually made it harder at high weight, and the paper solved it. The new gym doesn't have a shrug machine, so I use the smith machine for shrugs, and its bar has the "cheese grater" grip effect on your callouses, I use the paper there too for no problems, its very handy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    towel pull ups are good
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    id try wrist wraps like mentioned or chalk.
    i was using gloves and had the same issue.
    currently just using my hands it works better but the tears come quick.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    id try wrist wraps like mentioned or chalk.
    i was using gloves and had the same issue.
    currently just using my hands it works better but the tears come quick.

Wrist wraps and wrist straps are two different things with different purposes.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Only in the beginning.

I've used it so long, I now grip nearly everything hook, just as a habit, and its so natural, I don't even notice, definitely no pain.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Only in the beginning.

I've used it so long, I now grip nearly everything hook, just as a habit, and its so natural, I don't even notice, definitely no pain.

well you're a better man than I... there is just no way. I don't think I could ever get past that initial pain issues. I break easily- I used to fight in school and I almost always invariable wound up with an injury- my bones and skin are way more sensitive than they should be- not sure why- have been for a long time- I suspect hook grip would be a serious issue for me.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Only in the beginning.

well you're a better man than I... there is just no way. I don't think I could ever get past that initial pain issues. I break easily- I used to fight in school and I almost always invariable wound up with an injury- my bones and skin are way more sensitive than they should be- not sure why- have been for a long time- I suspect hook grip would be a serious issue for me.
    Yep. Don't care. Ain't even sorry. I've got enough suffering to deal with already to get all the other stuff done that I do. My legs are littered with bruises from the past week. I literally have one bruise for every rep I did last night.

I was wrong; my husband says he never hook-grips for regular deads, just like snatch-grip ones, some oly lift stuff and Highland Games stuff. He said the weight he deadlifts would crush your thumbs if you tried to hook-grip it.

The more I think about it, the less hook grip even makes logical sense for me. Just the thickness that wearing gloves adds is too much; sticking my thumb in the way would be almost like trying to keep a grip on two bars. I have short fingers; I don't need to add to the problem!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was wrong; my husband says he never hook-grips for regular deads, just like snatch-grip ones, some oly lift stuff and Highland Games stuff. He said the weight he deadlifts would crush your thumbs if you tried to hook-grip it.

I'm not a particularly big deadlifter, never really go much over 200kg, as I can't clean or snatch that much, so not a problem for me. That said, I've trained with guys that have lifted well over 800lbs with a hook grip, and I don't think their thumbs were close to getting crushed. I'm sure there is a point where it happens, but it would be world record territory lifts at least, or very weak thumbs.