Losing weight by only eating McDonald's

Options
124»

Replies

• jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    The reason I would consider this a treat and not every day food is bc (1) it's cold and wet and I'm not going to go set up the grill in the middle of winter and (2) I'd have to go to the store and buy the whipping cream and haul out the mixer, and I'm too busy today. :)

edited to add: (3) I don't drink wine every day -- too many calories plus it makes me too lazy to work out the next morning. :)
    [/quote]

One of the great helps to my diet, besides buying a digital kitchen scale was buying a george foreman grill. I love the thing, really.
  • Prismapencils
    Options
    I think McD's has a bad rep. There are so many restaurants around here that are caloric deathtraps as opposed to maybe small chicken wrap without dressing or burger. At least McD's posts the calories. Many restaurants and other fast food places don't.
    :/

I also see it as a treat, and definitely the lesser of some evils. For example, Zaxby's. There's nothing I can get there and not feel horrible after.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yes! I saw an interview with him on television this morning. However, he wasn't eating Big Macs, fries, and shakes on his diet. He was also walking for 45 minutes every day. The interesting thing about his 'experiment' was that his cholesterol levels went down also. I don't know what he ate before he went on the 'McDonalds Diet,' so I'm sure that might be a factor also.

Would it be okay? Short term, maybe. Long term, never. Factor in all the preservatives and crap that goes into McDonalds food and it would scare you. Also, it should be a lifestyle change, and I'm not willing to make McDonalds, or any other fast food for that matter, my lifestyle.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    He was eating according to his macros and calories and doing exercise....I don't see how it can be bad for you then
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows where I'm going on my next "cheat" day lol.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    What a pointless post.

So advocate losing weight with McDonalds but not advocate it for the health deterioration? How about there is more to life than a processed burger anyway?

I guess the point went right over your head, which is you can eat McDonalds and maintain a calorie deficit…

From a macros point, you probably could not eat mcdonalds every day and hit your macros…but from a calorie deficit point it makes sense….

^^^ this.

No post is pointless and certainly not this one. The point being made, possibly for newbies, or just in general, was that you can eat what you want and lose weight within certain parameters.

I don't think the OP suggested they were going to eac MCD every day, simply that it was possible to do so. Most folk (not all) just wanna loose weight and look good so don't mind knowing that eating 'unheathily' will not harm the journey.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I once had a project in university which involved defining nutritional complete meals using the MacDonalds menu.

Yeah, it is possible, but I won't be volunteering to give it a try. :P

^^ this
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds

"His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

I don't believe this. I ate healthy and exercised and still had some cholesterol and triglyceride problems after losing 60 lbs. Funny thing is that I almost never went over the daily cholesterol limit given by the government. There must have been something else going on. If I just ate twinkies, even if I lost weight, I would not be healthy and my numbers would show it.

Whenever I eat packaged meals or freezer meals regularly, I start feeling terrible. I tried freezer meals for a short time and they made me feel really bad, so I stopped eating them.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sure you can lose weight eating nothing but processed, rubbery french fries, but wouldn't you rather lose weight eating real food that tastes good? I just don't understand the "McDonald's as a treat" thing. To me a treat is a grilled steak, a big salad, a couple glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon, and fresh fruit with whipped cream for dessert.

Be happy you have such tastes, then.

Most of what you mention is pretty unappealing to me. On the other hand, I don't exactly crave McDonalds or other fast food, either, although I do eat it frequently. We don't have a heck of a lot available to us at work and I haven't committed to cooking every night for leftovers the next day.

The whole Mcdonalds thing does not make sense to me either. The regular bread, burgers and fries taste worse than all of the other fast food restaurants, but I do like the soft serve ice cream.
  • shippoaven
    Options
    You could definitely lose weight by ONLY eating food from mcdonalds, mind your also watching your carb and sugar intake. There was a documentary called "FatHead" about this guy eating ONLY McDonalds for X-number of weeks and losing weight but also lowering his bad Cholesterol . Search Fathead on youtube to find it and i recommend it, there is useful information about how our body deals with sugar and carbs.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    The reason I would consider this a treat and not every day food is bc (1) it's cold and wet and I'm not going to go set up the grill

One of the great helps to my diet, besides buying a digital kitchen scale was buying a george foreman grill. I love the thing, really.

So much this. I loooove my George!
    I find its very easy to collect the bacon fat so I can fry my eggs in it :-D
    And it is amazing for steak, fish, everything really.

But I also love mcdonalds, I make it fit my macros, and I'm doing pretty well health and weight-wise.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds

"His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

I don't believe this. I ate healthy and exercised and still had some cholesterol and triglyceride problems after losing 60 lbs. Funny thing is that I almost never went over the daily cholesterol limit given by the government. There must have been something else going on. If I just ate twinkies, even if I lost weight, I would not be healthy and my numbers would show it.

Whenever I eat packaged meals or freezer meals regularly, I start feeling terrible. I tried freezer meals for a short time and they made me feel really bad, so I stopped eating them.
    Cholesterol levels are based on genetics and level of body fat for the most part. What you eat has very little to do with your cholesterol levels, as it's been proven that blood cholesterol is created by the human body, dietary cholesterol has no effect on it; excepting a small minority of people due to genetic reasons. This is why many countries don't even have a recommended intake for cholesterol, because it doesn't matter.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes you can - calorie deficit = weight loss

Weight loss doesn't necessarily = healthy ...

I wouldn't want to do it ... I am not sure I could get a single Maccas meal down let alone eat nothing but ..

^^^^ Yep. The trans fats alone are pretty atrocious. It won't make you look fat on the outside though....

The teacher who did this (if you read the entire story) had himself checked before and after...he not only lost weight but his cholesterol went down....

As one poster said hitting Macros eating only Mickey D's could be hard but there is nothing wrong with having it if you want...even weekly...
  • Sure you can drop weight but would you want to give that corporation that much money in exchange for inferior nutrition?

I'd rather gain a kilo and feed myself to be honest. :)

Yep
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    OH SNAP
    Their fries are deadly.

Deadly good. Gotta get me some soon.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Yes you can - calorie deficit = weight loss

Weight loss doesn't necessarily = healthy ...

I wouldn't want to do it ... I am not sure I could get a single Maccas meal down let alone eat nothing but ..

^^^^ Yep. The trans fats alone are pretty atrocious. It won't make you look fat on the outside though....

The teacher who did this (if you read the entire story) had himself checked before and after...he not only lost weight but his cholesterol went down....

As one poster said hitting Macros eating only Mickey D's could be hard but there is nothing wrong with having it if you want...even weekly...

75% of more of blood choolsterol is enedogenous, meaning it is produced by the body. Decreasing body fat levels will lower LDL and raise HDL levels generally and also level out triglicerides. If you run in a calorie deficit enough to drop fat, your cholseterol levels will change, but it is in no way a reflection on the health or quality of the food.