Will upping my calorie intake cause me to gain weight?

2»

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Please know that when going from losing to maintaining you will see a weight gain of 3-5 lbs as your body replenishes the glycogen stores in your body. This is not fat, it is your bodies easily accessible energy that you have kept depleted in order to force your bodie to burn fat. If you are set on a scale number than you must lose 3-5 lbs below that so when this happens you are at your goal when this increase happens.

this is why you should have a maintenance range not one number that you have your heart set on... its not realstic to think you will be the same weight every day forever!
    Absolutely! My point was if you want your goal weight to be in that range you have to lose below that or always keep yourself in a glycogen deficit. Shrug*
  • brimin101
    brimin101 Posts: 31 Member
    Upping your calorie intake initially will cause a gain in weight, but not fat. Your body will store it as glycogen. I agree though you need to eat more, if this says your BMR is 1800 slowly get up to 1600-1800 daily and then add around 60 minutes or more of vigorous exercise burning 500-700 cals and the weight should start to melt off (if you're looking to lose weight)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Your BMR would be 1352 according to the site I use for these calculations (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) so as suggested above, definitely try to eat at least that much, if not more like 1400-1500 per day.

The 1800 MFP came up with is your TDEE (not BMR as some have said). This is the number of calories you need to support your lightly active lifestyle. You still need to eat earned exercise calories on top of that! So it would be a good idea to try to get as close to that number as you can.

You may see a slight increase at first while your body adjusts to the increase in calories but please give it a couple of months before you decide to lower again or anything like that. It takes our bodies a lot longer to react than we think.

BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate - the estimated # of calories your body needs to survive at the basest level as if you were in a coma - blood circulation, cell repair, breathing, etc.

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - includes day-to-day activities - sedentary folks have desk jobs, active folks are on their feet all day, etc. This should also include regular exercise if you're consistent with workouts.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Are you sure you are measuring accurately and logging everything? Little things can add up to 100's of calories.