Bulking on TRT

Options
Back story:

So I spent 2013 losing weight and managed to drop 120 pounds. While approaching my goal I started to experience some health issues and went to the doctor. Ends up I burnt up my thyroid and was essentially producing zero hormones anymore from being on a 1500 kcal diet for over 12 months.

So I am on a doctor prescribed TRT program now, I realize with the added testosterone I will be able to put on mass faster than the average individual, but I have no idea what to shoot for per week, as most of the advice is for people not in my unique situation.

What is the maximum amount of muscle you can create on testosterone therapy per week?

What should my diet look like to really take advantage of my situation?

I realize that if this were normal circumstances I would shoot for a 500 kcal surplus... should I bump it to 1000kcal for the next few months while on therapy to maximize my gains?

Thank you!!

Replies

• AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Back story:

So I spent 2013 losing weight and managed to drop 120 pounds. While approaching my goal I started to experience some health issues and went to the doctor. Ends up I burnt up my thyroid and was essentially producing zero hormones anymore from being on a 1500 kcal diet for over 12 months.

So I am on a doctor prescribed TRT program now, I realize with the added testosterone I will be able to put on mass faster than the average individual, but I have no idea what to shoot for per week, as most of the advice is for people not in my unique situation.

What is the maximum amount of muscle you can create on testosterone therapy per week?

I realize that if this were normal circumstances I would shoot for a 500 kcal surplus... should I bump it to 1000kcal for the next few months while on therapy to maximize my gains?

Thank you!!

This will probably get locked as it could be concieved as someone whos just shooting test trying to get advice.

To be honest youd be better asking for help over at Tnation or BodyBuilding.com
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    What he said...
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

You're not going to put on muscle THAT fast - you're normalizing test, not overloading it. A 500 kcal bulk will work without adding a lot of fat to cut later.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't think this question can be answered without you knowing your levels. Going on TRT doesn't mean your test levels are going to triple that of a normal person. At best they are going to seek to get you in the normal range, which means something like a 500 cal/day surplus will be just right.

Beyond that, experimentation is probably going to be your best bet. Try 500, increase to 750 or 1000 if it's not enough. If you start putting on too much fat then you scale back.
  • XxZachAttackxX
    Options
    whether you have a testosterone booster or not you can add some size fast take your body weight and times it by 1.5 or 2 that is how many grams of protein you should be aiming at and carbs try for 3 times your body weight ... If you way 100 pounds you should aim for in between 150-200 grams of protein and about 300 grams of carbs .... I would like to hear more about your thyroid also it burnt out just by eating to little calories or what exactly ? If you got any questions just ask and try to have a really clean diet when doing this ''bulk '' so you dont add on a bunch of unwanted weight
  • XxZachAttackxX
    Options
    Train intense .. try to stay away from processed foods and bad fats and oils but dont be scared to have a steak or some thing because steak has good fats and you should ask your doctor if oxyelite pros would help your thyroid .. they are fat burners that help correct your thyroid ask them if it would help bring your thyroid into good health
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Back story:

Thank you!!

How does the calorie restriction burn out your thyroid?
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Back story:

Thank you!!

When eating at a deficit for an overextended period of time your BMR lowers and eventually that deficit can become your new maintenance. Long term low-calorie dieting depresses metabolism. You can't fool Mother Nature. She knows when you're starving yourself and will lower your metabolism in order to adapt because she wants you to survive!

AKA Hypothyroidism
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I'd head over to anabolic forums and question there... I'm not sure how many people would be able to answer you here and know what they're talking about
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Back story:

Thank you!!

When eating at a deficit for an overextended period of time your BMR lowers and eventually that deficit can become your new maintenance. Long term low-calorie dieting depresses metabolism. You can't fool Mother Nature. She knows when you're starving yourself and will lower your metabolism in order to adapt because she wants you to survive!

AKA Hypothyroidism

That sucks, man.
    I know a friend of friend who was a former NFL player who is now a trainer that messed his system up on just in-taking protein and carbs and no fat (I heard this second hand so I not sure of the full story but I will get the details) for years. His digestion (not sure about thyroid) is messed up now.

Anyway the point is was there a extreme restriction on the type of food intake also?

For example Zero carbs or zero fat? I am doing a short term 1200 cal net restriction to take about 4 lbs off and then go back to 1550 net. I knocked off about 2 lbs. I eat back the calories.

Also OP did you eat back your calories?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    messed his system up on just in-taking protein and carbs and no fat

I'd wager the "no fat" part is what blew out his endocrine system. A lot of essential functions require dietary fat.