Wahoo Blue Question

Options
Hello All,

I'm using a Wahoo BlueHR connecting to an Iphone with the Wahoo app. For those who use this does the calorie count seem really high? Last night I went for a walk for one hour and four minutes covering 3.71 miles and I burned 948 calories. That seems high to me.

Replies

• wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Its hard to say... each app will calculate the calorie burn differently (the HR strap just provides the HR data - it doesn't calculate the calorie burn).

There are pretty established formulas that give approximate calorie burns based on HR data, but again there are different models.

Here's a web-based calculator that I use to spot check each app that I start using (I tend to jump around a bit).

I've used this calculator for a couple of years and found it to be pretty accurate for me - given the amount of weight loss I experience when I am diligent about logging food and activity in MFP.

To calculate the calorie burn, you need your age, gender, weight, the duration of the activity and the length of the activity.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • chadweaver18
    chadweaver18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider is that the HR monitor will calculate gross calorie burn. You will have burned a set amount if outside of exercise during that time. There are formulas that will help you calculate the net burn. I found during insanity I would burn around 710 but in net was closer to 600. And this is over a period of 30-40 minutes.
  • Kguide
    Kguide Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you.