Shake Weight?

Hughes39
Hughes39 Posts: 169
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone tried this yet? My boyfriend makes fun of it and says I mid as well use his "shake weight". But I think it looks fun. I'm curious to know if it really gives your arms as big of a workout as the commercial says!

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Has anyone tried this yet? My boyfriend makes fun of it and says I mid as well use his "shake weight". But I think it looks fun. I'm curious to know if it really gives your arms as big of a workout as the commercial says!
    Listen to your bf, don't do it! Click on Ellen sometime for laughs, she's got everyone she invites on her show doing it, but for a joke, it's pretty hilarious!! You might find a clip on Youtube. :wink:

It can't possibly get rid of arm flab, it's another fad piece of equipment to make money for the maker. Try some regular hand weights and you'll see some great huge difference in all your hard work and save money besides!:wink::flowerforyou:

Edit: Check the archives here and just do a search on shake weight, lots will pop up on that and then you'll see who spent money and who wished they wouldn't have.:noway:
  • Well, I of course was really skeptical. I mean, I like lifing heavy weights and pretty much scoff at the old advice to "use soupcans" so the shake weight seemed pretty far fetched to me. BUT then I was reading consumer reports one day and it got a very high reveiw. I was surprised. I haven't been convinced enough to buy it yet lol but if you do please let us know what you think!
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    They have one out of the box at D.i.c.k's Sporting Goods Store, I tried it out, didn't seem to do much.

edited to add the spacers since the name of the store was edited out :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    I was just reading some posts in the archives and someone did mention best not to use it in front of the windows!:laugh: :laugh:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/143264/saturday-night-live-shake-weight-dvd

I'd seen the Sat. Night Live reference but never had time to watch it until now. OMG, hilarious!!! Pink tank top girl...bwwwhahah
  • You think 6 minutes really isn't going to do anything but you really feel the burn. It's the longest 6 minutes in history! It works so good that my husband is going to get the shake weight for men!
  • Hughes39
    Hughes39 Posts: 169
    Hmm. The closest place around us that carry them is Wal Mart. And they don't have them out of the box to try.
    I don't want to waste money on something that doesn't work! I'll research it more!
  • KatalynasMommy
    KatalynasMommy Posts: 136 Member
    I bought one it's only a six minute work-out. I LOVE it, you can really feel it working the muscle, my sister-in-law told me the other day that my arms look small. I haven't really got into a daily routine but I'm using it more now so I may see more difinition in my arms after all. It has 4 areas that you work, your CHEST, BICEPS, TRICEPS, and SHOULDERS.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FITNESS JOURNEY!!!

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW FRIENDS ADD ME IF YOU LIKE!!!
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    This is another example of a worthless gadget, but on the other hand, I do enjoy
    watching the women's version of the advertisement :)

Doug
  • HealthyChanges2010
    This is another example of a worthless gadget, but on the other hand, I do enjoy
    watching the women's version of the advertisement :)

Doug
    eh huh! you were watching the pink tank top girl LOL (SNL version)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Here is a link to a review by the American Council on Exercise (ACE). http://www.acefitness.org/reviews/review-detail.aspx?reviewitemid=108 It only got a 1 star out of 5 and the review explains why it doesn't work as advertised.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Complete gimmick probably created by a guy who wanted to get a good laugh out of seeing naive women use it. That's what I think anyway.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Complete gimmick probably created by a guy who wanted to get a good laugh out of seeing naive women use it. That's what I think anyway.
    :laugh:
  • Your bf is right. If you use it, be sure the window shades are closed. This topic was posted recently and someone included a link to the SNL skit. Very very funny. The announcer guy looked a little like the Sham Wow guy too. If you are interested in investing in anything, consider free weights and use them to extend and contract the various muscles through the full range of motion, not just the very limited range the shake-weight affects. Basically the shaker is only useful for the arms but it would be great to see someone invent a glute shake-weight.
This discussion has been closed.